+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 156 First ... 3910111213 141516172363113 ... Last

Certifications
    A.A.S Computer Technology, CCNA, CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
    Well heck.. lol Both of my co workers were like NATL Only! Nonetheless glad to hear from you guys who are actually doing this stuff. I am to the point now to where I just want to go to school for something I am interested in, and WGU looks like my only option. WGU is for sure my only option I am excited about getting started with.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. Login/register to remove this advertisement.

Certifications
    CCNA, Net+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by sthompson86 View Post
    Yes they are regionally accreddicted by some North Western association, I was told today that they need to be nationally accredited by one of my co-workers in order for the degree to transfer. I am just getting all sorts of mixed answers Regional accreditation - National accreditation ect ect lol
    I've done my research on WGU, I thought they were to good to be true. But from everything I see they are amazing.

And like the others said, regional accreditation's are actually better than national. I've seen diploma mills have a national accreditation. Oh and WGU is the only online university that has ever been awarded 4 regional accreditation's.

From my research:

WGU Accreditations
    Regional:
    NWCCU link
    CHEA link
    HLC link
    WASC link
    National:
    DETC link
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member
    Anyone have advice for which concentration to take for someone who wants to ultimately be doing technical IT work (as opposed to a managerial type work)? I am most interested in security, but have enjoyed every type of computer work I've been involved in (besides web design). I plan on getting my BS from WGU, help-desking it for a bit while attaining higher-level certs. Basically, which path is best to get my foot in the door towards my goal?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    GCIH, CCNA, MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Anyone have advice for which concentration to take for someone who wants to ultimately be doing technical IT work (as opposed to a managerial type work)? I am most interested in security, but have enjoyed every type of computer work I've been involved in (besides web design). I plan on getting my BS from WGU, help-desking it for a bit while attaining higher-level certs. Basically, which path is best to get my foot in the door towards my goal?
    What kind of technical work do you want to do? If networking, what kind of networking, servers or network infrastructure (switches, routers, etc)? If you want to get a well rounded knowledge of all of it I would go with the straight IT Bachelor degree. Then you will learn networking, programming, database, etc.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member
    Well, I suppose I'm not totally sure. I am finishing up my AAS in Software Engineering right now, and while I love programming the market sucks and its far too easy to be outsourced. I've had classes in web design, networking, security, server admin etc. and I enjoyed them all, but they were mostly theory. As I said security interests me most, and I plan on doing higher-level security certs once I finish the BS, or during, if possible. I just don't know if either the MCITP or CCNA:S would be more beneficial to me starting out?

I appreciate the help.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    The security emphasis will get you the CCNA, CCNA:Sec certs or you could go the network route for the MCITP certs (you get certs while getting the degree). Depends on where you want to be when you get out of WGU.
    If you're planning to apply, be sure to PM one of the current students here to get referred. You'll save the application fee. Don't PM me, Ive referred 3 people since I've been here
    CURRENTLY READING Linux+ Study Guide 2nd Ed. , Linux Essentials Both Roderick Smith / Sybex
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    The security emphasis will get you the CCNA, CCNA:Sec certs or you could go the network route for the MCITP certs (you get certs while getting the degree). Depends on where you want to be when you get out of WGU.
    If you're planning to apply, be sure to PM one of the current students here to get referred. You'll save the application fee. Don't PM me, Ive referred 3 people since I've been here

I appreciate it, but my WGU start date is July 1st . My tentative major is security, but I just wonder if the MCITP would be much stronger than a CCNA:S for entry level employment. The SSCP or SCNP are certifications I would be looking into on my own time as soon as is feasible.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, Net+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I appreciate it, but my WGU start date is July 1st . My tentative major is security, but I just wonder if the MCITP would be much stronger than a CCNA:S for entry level employment. The SSCP or SCNP are certifications I would be looking into on my own time as soon as is feasible.
    Congrats, I hope to start around that time as well. I am finishing up this semester and transferring in shortly after.

That just depends on where you want to be.. long term I want to be in a strictly network/network security position, finding that exact job isn't easy and usually requires 5-10 years of experience.. so yah broadening your education can help get you in the door, but you need to think about where you want to be long term.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by fly351 View Post
    I've done my research on WGU, I thought they were to good to be true. But from everything I see they are amazing.

And like the others said, regional accreditation's are actually better than national. I've seen diploma mills have a national accreditation. Oh and WGU is the only online university that has ever been awarded 4 regional accreditation's.

From my research:

WGU Accreditations
    Regional:
    NWCCU link
    CHEA link
    HLC link
    WASC link
    National:
    DETC link

I did some research of my own today. I called one of the local colleges here computer science department (Mississippi College). I asked the adviser for the CS department if I could transfer a networking degree from WGU to Mississippi college in an effort to get a masters of CS from Mississippi college ( I do not plan on getting a Masters in CS, but I wanted to show some sort of interest in MC so she would be more willing to help me) Nonetheless, she said that the degree would probably not transfer due to the fact that its a Technical degree.. well thats obvious and one of the main reasons I am considering it.

What she did say that interested me was she compared the WGU to a program that we have at Mississippi Southern University that is a Technical IT bachelor degree. I would go for that degree if I lived close to USM. Nonetheless, I was glad to hear her compare it to that.

The lady then went into this selling attack trying to explain to me how I need to learn networking in a theoretical way.. Thats what I am trying to get away from. There plenty of schools offer network theory.. or CIS degrees that have a concentration in networking.. That way its like 10 programming classes and 2 networking classes, Well thats how it is at Mississippi College.

WGU here I come.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, Net+, A+
    I did some research of my own today. I called one of the local colleges here computer science department (Mississippi College). I asked the adviser for the CS department if I could transfer a networking degree from WGU to Mississippi college in an effort to get a masters of CS from Mississippi college ( I do not plan on getting a Masters in CS, but I wanted to show some sort of interest in MC so she would be more willing to help me) Nonetheless, she said that the degree would probably not transfer due to the fact that its a Technical degree.. well thats obvious and one of the main reasons I am considering it.

What she did say that interested me was she compared the WGU to a program that we have at Mississippi Southern University that is a Technical IT bachelor degree. I would go for that degree if I lived close to USM. Nonetheless, I was glad to hear her compare it to that.

The lady then went into this selling attack trying to explain to me how I need to learn networking in a theoretical way.. Thats what I am trying to get away from. There plenty of schools offer network theory.. or CIS degrees that have a concentration in networking.. That way its like 10 programming classes and 2 networking classes, Well thats how it is at Mississippi College.

WGU here I come.
    Glad you checked into it. However... that is kind of ridiculous that they wouldn't recognize the degree as a Bachelors of Science.. why else would there be 17 non-technical courses on each of their IT degrees.. Did you explain to her that? or did she look it up? IMO the degree could be more technical and still be considered a B.S.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by fly351 View Post
    Glad you checked into it. However... that is kind of ridiculous that they wouldn't recognize the degree as a Bachelors of Science.. why else would there be 17 non-technical courses on each of their IT degrees.. Did you explain to her that? or did she look it up? IMO the degree could be more technical and still be considered a B.S.

Well she looked it up, but just a broad look up all she did was go to WGU site and just took a look at what we all can see. I could tell she did not like it, but what can you expect she is from another college.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, Net+, A+
    Well she looked it up, but just a broad look up all she did was go to WGU site and just took a look at what we all can see. I could tell she did not like it, but what can you expect she is from another college.
    That's cool, I figured as much as well Just from a quick glance they have a single regional SACS accreditation, same thing as my current school ETSU Home Just not very impressive after I really started looking around.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Mississippi college is what I was considering before WGU, but I just do not care to go to school for programing.. when I want to get into networking. I would like to take maybe 1 programming language course to get an idea of how programming works.. but no more than 1.. lol
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member
    Hi everyone,

Im new here and a new WGU student, Just started this month. I have a couple questions and I hope to find answers.
    LAC1,LAE1,LAT1,LUT1,INC1 where do I have to go to take the exams. Doing them online from my home, or do I have to go to test center? I know WFV1 have to go to test center.

and what is the difference between Proctored and performance assessment.

Thanks alot
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lover View Post
    Hi everyone,

Im new here and a new WGU student, Just started this month. I have a couple questions and I hope to find answers.
    LAC1,LAE1,LAT1,LUT1,INC1 where do I have to go to take the exams. Doing them online from my home, or do I have to go to test center? I know WFV1 have to go to test center.

and what is the difference between Proctored and performance assessment.

Thanks alot
    Wecome to TE and to WGU, be sure and sign in on the TE Roll call thread in the IT Program Community.
    Proctored (objective) means you take assesment at a test center, Performance means you submit the tasks, usually through taskstream, from your home computer.
    The objective (proctored) non IT exams I took, I used a Sylvan testing center. Most Junior Colleges, Universities, and some other places have testing centers which can be used. Your mentor will help you when the time comes to take these exams.
    CURRENTLY READING Linux+ Study Guide 2nd Ed. , Linux Essentials Both Roderick Smith / Sybex
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Just Married!

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CIW Pro, Web designer, JavaScript, and Database, 70-680, CCNA, CCNA Security
    Does anyone know how the Network Design degree would go towards network engineering? I'd like to get into Lan/Wan engineering. Work my ways towards a CCIE or higher. I don't have much college experience but I've been in electrical/electronic engineering sector for 10 years now so I have a lot of real world experience. Thanks, and btw can someone PM if they can refer me to waive the application fee? Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    GCIH, CCNA, MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by themagicone View Post
    Does anyone know how the Network Design degree would go towards network engineering? I'd like to get into Lan/Wan engineering. Work my ways towards a CCIE or higher.
    I would suggest the security track then, because the CCNA:Security is gained through it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Just Married!

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CIW Pro, Web designer, JavaScript, and Database, 70-680, CCNA, CCNA Security
    I have an appointment later today to talk to an admission person. I'm thinking this will work great with what I want do. Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    GCIH, CCNA, MCTS
    Good Luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    The security emphasis will get you the CCNA, CCNA:Sec certs or you could go the network route for the MCITP certs (you get certs while getting the degree).

I was debating this also, but I am wanting to get into networking so I rather take the network installation and management route, And earn my CCNA on the side.

For you guys that chose 1 of the 2 WGU network paths, which one did you guys choose??

I am leaning towards planning and mgmt over Admin.

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:Voice, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA, CCENT, Security +, Network +, A+,CIW
    I picked admin, because I want to be a network administrator.

I'm dong the readiness assessment now =)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by chmorin View Post
    I picked admin, because I want to be a network administrator.

I'm dong the readiness assessment now =)

I want to be a network admin also, but I really want to know how to setup networks, not just ensure that things are flowing right. I am honestly kind of unsure. I really like the MCITP Enterprise administrator that the Network Design and MGMT comes with.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Just Married!

Certifications
    I had a long talk with the admission department. They said after you complete you 1st degree it only takes 6 months to earn another one. So you can take the security focus then one more term for another focus. I'm going to start with the Security track then after finishing that take Network Design and Mgmt. Going to aim for June or July 1st start. Thanks for the info.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yea I think I rather do Security over Administration. I mean once one knows how the network is setup and planned it will be pretty easy to administrate from that point in my opinion. I want to know how to build it, then I believe once I know how it is built I will be able to administrate it easily.
    Last edited by sthompson86; 04-12-2010 at 11:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE, MCSA, CNA, CCNA (expired), Project+, Linux+, CNE (expired), OCA MySQL 5, ITIL Foundation
    Quote Originally Posted by themagicone View Post
    I had a long talk with the admission department. They said after you complete you 1st degree it only takes 6 months to earn another one.
    From the WGU student handbook:
    Students who have a WGU bachelor's degree and wish to earn a second WGU bachelor's degree must demonstrate competency in lower division prerequisites and all upper division requirements pertaining to the new degree, but the Collegiate Level Reasoning and Problem Solving requirement will be waived. Student will not need to repeat courses of study which they already completed in their first WGU degree, including Education without Boundaries (EWB).
    Sounds to me like you might have to do some general ed if you go for a second bachelor's with WGU. I'd talk this over with your mentor once you've started to be sure.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks