+ Reply to Thread
Page 136 of 156 First ... 3686126132133134135136 137138139140146 ... Last
Results 3,376 to 3,400 of 3887

Certifications
    A+, Sec+, Project+, 70-680, 70-686, 70-640, MCITP:ED, CCNA R&S, Useless CIW x2
    How do we go about doing the Bio or Physics Labs?

Are we going to have to go do them at a community college lab? Or can they be done at home?

EDIT:

HAHAHA Another Question:

On the Net Admin Major it lists MCSA: Windows 7 and MCTS: Win 7 as Certs you will acquire through your studies, but the in depth course guide lists only lists 70-646 (Server 08 Admin). What Gives? Has WGU not updated the course guide? Or is it Vice Versa??
    Last edited by -hype; 08-26-2013 at 12:28 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. Login/register to remove this advertisement.
  3. Junior Member Registered Member
    Can you tell me about the prerequisites to get into the BS-IT program at WSU? I have an AA degree and took a couple of computer programming courses way back when (like 18 years ago), and have no other certifications. Does this mean I am not eligible for the program at WSU?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Net+, Sec+, A+, CCENT, VCA-DCV, CCNA
    You need EITHER a cert or previous college credit I'm pretty sure.

So you should be fine.
    2014 Goals - CCNA, JNCIA, Linux+/MCTS?
    Learn Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    Can you tell me about the prerequisites to get into the BS-IT program at WSU? I have an AA degree and took a couple of computer programming courses way back when (like 18 years ago), and have no other certifications. Does this mean I am not eligible for the program at WSU?
    Online Admissions | College of Information Technology | Western Governors University Online

AS, or IT coursework or certs in the last 5 years or IT work experience for a resume review. Do you have a few years of real IT experience?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CEH, Sec+, A+
    Would having the A+ knock out the IT Fundamentals I since it encompasses II and III? Along the same lines, would the Security+ knock out the Security Fundamentals?

Also, could the CCENT replace the Network+ in regards to the BS - IT?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
    Would having the A+ knock out the IT Fundamentals I since it encompasses II and III? Along the same lines, would the Security+ knock out the Security Fundamentals?

Also, could the CCENT replace the Network+ in regards to the BS - IT?
    IT Fund I is actually a different cert, you'd need to do that. Having the A+ within the last 5 years should cover IT Fund II and III though. I don't know which one Security Fund is and if that is the Security+ cert, if so and it's still valid it should cover that. I don't think the CCENT would cover the Network+ though. Either way it's always best to just call WGU and ask them, you'd get the most updated info that way.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Net+, Sec+, A+, CCENT, VCA-DCV, CCNA
    Check the attached file for to see what certs transfer in for what classes.
    (I hope it's still current.)
    2014 Goals - CCNA, JNCIA, Linux+/MCTS?
    Learn Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -hype View Post

On the Net Admin Major it lists MCSA: Windows 7 and MCTS: Win 7 as Certs you will acquire through your studies, but the in depth course guide lists only lists 70-646 (Server 08 Admin). What Gives? Has WGU not updated the course guide? Or is it Vice Versa??
    Hey hype,

I think the 1st Win7 class is CSV1 - Operating Systems. It ends in the MS 70-680. (Exam 70-680: Windows 7, Configuring)

I'm currently enrolled in:

CSV1 - OS
    CUV1 - Web Technologies
    MGC1 - Principles of Management

If anybody has any experience getting through CSV1 in a hurry I'd appreciate any tips you have. Links to other posts are welcomed too..

Here's a screen cap of what I have to complete when I'm done with the three listed above:

degree plan.jpg

I'm interested in any advice or whatever that you guys may have. Thanks,

Casey
    Last edited by serial0l0; 09-04-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member Registered Member
    I'm applying to WGU but I have a question about the tuition. I understand the flat fee for tuition I just want to know what kind of tuition payment plan they offer. Is it 4 or 6 payments monthly throughout the session or is it a large payment up front followed by small monthly payments or something else. I couldn't find the terms on the website for the deferred payment plan.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, OCP Java 6 SE
    It's 4 monthly payments starting with the first month. There's also $55 fee for enrolling in that payment plan.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. DPG

Certifications
    SCSA (Subway Cerified Sandwich Artist)
    Quote Originally Posted by t1085ok View Post
    I'm applying to WGU but I have a question about the tuition. I understand the flat fee for tuition I just want to know what kind of tuition payment plan they offer. Is it 4 or 6 payments monthly throughout the session or is it a large payment up front followed by small monthly payments or something else. I couldn't find the terms on the website for the deferred payment plan.
    They have a split-payment plan. First installment is due the first day of the term. Second installment is due the first day of the 4th month of the term.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Sec+
    Ok, I'm sure people have answered this question before...I had previously looked into the BS-IT Security and decided that I should just go for BS-IT...Looking at the course catalog, there doesn't seem to be any profound difference here.

Any comments, thoughts or whatever would help me. I've submitted my assessment and I'm about to do transcripts this week.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Member

Certifications
    VCA5-DCV, VCA5-Cloud, A+, Project+, CIW Foundations, MTA Network
    While I haven't reviewed the classes side by side, the major difference is that with the security emphasis you will earn two CCNA certs. With the general IT degree, you earn many certs that are helpful to increase your knowledge, but none that employers are looking for. You do get A+ and Security + with both, but CCNA is much more sought after by employers.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by serial0l0 View Post
    Hey hype,

I think the 1st Win7 class is CSV1 - Operating Systems. It ends in the MS 70-680. (Exam 70-680: Windows 7, Configuring)

I'm currently enrolled in:

CSV1 - OS
    CUV1 - Web Technologies
    MGC1 - Principles of Management

If anybody has any experience getting through CSV1 in a hurry I'd appreciate any tips you have. Links to other posts are welcomed too..

Here's a screen cap of what I have to complete when I'm done with the three listed above:

Attachment 4279

I'm interested in any advice or whatever that you guys may have. Thanks,

Casey
    Does the network admin major actually include an MCSA (if so in what? server 2012?) and a CCNA along with MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration? I've been bouncing between this and the security emphasis, but can't seem to decide. If the MCSA and CCNA are included, then network admin would seem more practical for landing that first job. I can work for the CCNA security a lot easier than all the tests for the MCSA. Having both seems to be a more flexible combination when looking for a job instead of just the CCNAs, especially if you are uncertain if you want to go the network engineer route. Thanks for any info!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaced View Post
    Does the network admin major actually include an MCSA (if so in what? server 2012?) and a CCNA along with MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration? I've been bouncing between this and the security emphasis, but can't seem to decide. If the MCSA and CCNA are included, then network admin would seem more practical for landing that first job. I can work for the CCNA security a lot easier than all the tests for the MCSA. Having both seems to be a more flexible combination when looking for a job instead of just the CCNAs, especially if you are uncertain if you want to go the network engineer route. Thanks for any info!
    I would interested to know this as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    GCIH, SFCP, CCENT, CPT, CEH, QND, Security+
    Hey guys, where is the list of certification to class mappings? I.e CCNA Security= SEC102 or whatever.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SephStorm View Post
    Hey guys, where is the list of certification to class mappings? I.e CCNA Security= SEC102 or whatever.

Transferable IT Certifications
    There is the list of transferable certs, since from your sig it looks like you're already a student you can just look at your classes under your degree plan and see which ones you have left.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I need to know which certs map to each class, There used to be a document with that information.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, CIW IWF
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaced View Post
    While I haven't reviewed the classes side by side, the major difference is that with the security emphasis you will earn two CCNA certs. With the general IT degree, you earn many certs that are helpful to increase your knowledge, but none that employers are looking for. You do get A+ and Security + with both, but CCNA is much more sought after by employers.
    I think this is a highly biased opinion. Frankly, I dont want anything to do with networking. Its like the evil family member you want to avoid at a reunion to me.

I went with the general path because the certs cover a wider breadth of material rather than focus on something.
    Bachelors of Science: Information Technology
    Current Class: DEV1

Transfered: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1 BVC1, CLC1, RIT1, AXV1, CPV1
    To Be Completed: DEV1, CTJ1, DJV1, KET1, CVV1, CJV1, KFT1, TPV1, SBT1, QZT1, BOV1
    Completed: CRV1, CWV1, DIV1, DHV1, WFV1, DFV1, CUV1, BNC1, MGC1, CWV1
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, ITIL, VCA-DCV, Security+, Network+, BCNE
    I chose networking at first and found out how much faster it would be to just do the IT track. I can just get my ccna after school for much cheaper.
    WGU BSIT Progress: Current Class: IWC1(2), IWT1(2), INC1(4),CJV1(4) & CVV1(3) (12) Transfered: CWV1(3) Completed: WFV1(3), AXV1(4), CPV1(4), CLC1(3), LAE1(2), CRV1(4), CTV1(4), AGC1(3), DEV1(3), CUV1(4), EUP1(1), EUC1(2) ( 37 ) To Be Completed: DJV1(4), BOV1(4), BNC1(3), MGC1(4), TPV1(6), SBT1(3), QZT1(4), BBC1(2), HHT1(2), QBT1(3), LUT1(2), GAC1(2), QLT1(3), INT1(4), BVC1(3), RIT1(3), DHV1(3), DIV1(3), EUP1(1), TYC1(2), TXC1(2), TYP1(2), TXP1(2) ( 69 )
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Member

Certifications
    Project+
    To go along with what other members have questioned..I plan on enrolling at WGU starting Janruary 1, 2014 majoring in the Network Admin. emphasis. When the MCTS Windows 7 Config cert retires, what will WGU replace it with, would anybody know or do you recommend I contact them to find out?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by SephStorm View Post
    I need to know which certs map to each class, There used to be a document with that information.
    This is what I was looking for:
    Here is where you find the transfer of credits for certifications:
    - Go to WGU.edu/sh
    - Click on "Records and Transcripts" on left hand side
    - Click on "Transfer Credit Evaluation - Transfer Credit Evaluation Guidelines for Information Technology Students Enrolling on July 1, 2013
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+
    Question!!!!

Once done with the enrollment process, and the admissions office has to make their decision, do they send a solid yes or no email? Reason I ask is because i did all my enrollment stuff with my counselor and she said 3-5 days for them to make their decision, tonight i got an email with my transcript evaluation (3 classes are being covered, 2 by my A+ cert, one by a previous college course) does that mean im in and im good?

Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemowolf View Post
    I think this is a highly biased opinion. Frankly, I dont want anything to do with networking. Its like the evil family member you want to avoid at a reunion to me.

I went with the general path because the certs cover a wider breadth of material rather than focus on something.
    I am not sure what you mean about networking or what was biased. I looked at the general path, but I specifically want to avoid being a generalist, I have plenty of being that now. I want quantifiable skills demonstrated through not only the piece of paper that says I have a degree in this field, but the certs to prove that I have hands on knowledge. The certs in the general track, while useful knowledge, have very little market value outside of the CompTIA trinity. The MCSA, CCNA, and CCNA Security are job searching gold. MTAs and the rest of the certs the general track offers are not something that you can list on the resume so I am opting for one of the other tracks. NDM is should be improved - the program needs to be revised, but the Security and Networking tracks are pretty good, especially considering that most people on here seem to want to end up as either network engineers or security pros.

@ those asking about the MCSA in the Network program - I asked twice and still couldn't quite get a straight answer from WGU. I am already enrolled so I had emailed the Windows program mentor/counselor and he insists that despite the course description listing 2 of the required MCSA classes as internal WGU tests, that we will still get the MCSA and the MCTS Win 7. The courses do cover the material for the other 2 MCSA tests, but the tests are no longer listed as MS tests, just WGU proctored exams. He didn't offer any explanation. He did say the MCSA would be in Win 8 though...I just wasn't confident he clearly understood my question.

The Security track is great, but I would rather trade CCNA security for an MCSA. Based on my research for potential future positions, CCNA and MCSA combined would be very helpful when starting out. I would get the CCNA Security either way, but I can handle 1 test on my own rather than the 5 for CCNA and MCSA combined (when comparing the valuable certs in the Network and Security tracks). If anyone gets a solid answer to this question, I would love to hear.

@Santaowns - that option would not work for me. The tests and training materials for CCNA and MCSA on my own would cost a ton, and for me, for the more difficult certs and considering these are my first, it helps me to have the structure WGU provides for studying. Ideally, I want to have a degree in my hand, he holy trinity of CompTIA for all my bottom barrel helpdesk positions and my CCNA and MCSA for a little edge...and I am taking VCP-DCV class and test - just seems really interesting to me. I'd also like to tackle the last 2 tests to get my MCSE shortly after I finish with WGU. I want a versatile and marketable background starting out because I don't know which area my interests will lie so might as well get the exposure.

Sorry for the novel!
    Last edited by Spaced; 10-02-2013 at 04:50 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Member

Certifications
    Project+
    okay thanks for the clearification @spaced. Like I said, I don't plan on enrolling to the beginning of next year so when I'm getting ready to apply, I'll just ask WGU about the MCSA because I'm interested in eventually becomming a network admin, which is obviously why the IT - Network Admin track appealed to me. Worst case, I could always just start in the Security emphasis and then switch to Network Admin down the road, both tracks pretty much offer same certs with only a few differences. Thanks again!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks