+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 198 First 12 34561252102 ... Last

Certifications
    Net+,Sec+
    I'm currently in my 1st term of WGU in Network Admin. I've completed the CIW Essentials course and the Language Arts essay course. I'm currenty working on the Integrated Natural Science course and Langauge Arts Research Paper course. So far things are going pretty smooth and the mentor I have is great.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A few
    I just got off of the phone with an enrollment counselor, who seemed pretty cool btw and I'm about to dive into the application process. Do they still have the referral program. If so, would anyone mind referring me?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    WoW! I am blown away by the amount of hits, and replies produced by my opening thread. I wasn't sure there would even be enough interest to make it worth it.
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE, MCSA, CNA, CCNA (expired), Project+, Linux+, CNE (expired), OCA MySQL 5, ITIL Foundation
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    WoW! I am blown away by the amount of hits, and replies produced by my opening thread. I wasn't sure there would even be enough interest to make it worth it.
    In a tough economy, schooling discussions in general will likely draw more interest than usual.

Given the nature of the programs and their accessibility to this board's users, WGU discussions should be even more popular.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, MCITP:EA, Security+, VCA-DCV
    My biggest concern with a WGU degree would be that it wouldn't transfer for a Master's program. Has anyone here transferred their degree? I just don't understand how they could transfer since it is competency based. Has anyone here graduated with a Bachelor's or only gone a semester then decided to go elsewhere? My other concern would be how future employers may look at an online college. Do any IT managers or anyone in general want to expand upon this? Thanks in advance.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by xmalachi View Post
    My biggest concern with a WGU degree would be that it wouldn't transfer for a Master's program. Has anyone here transferred their degree? I just don't understand how they could transfer since it is competency based. Has anyone here graduated with a Bachelor's or only gone a semester then decided to go elsewhere? My other concern would be how future employers may look at an online college. Do any IT managers or anyone in general want to expand upon this? Thanks in advance.
    According to some of the folks I have talked to at WGU Student Hall there have been several students who have gotten their BS/BA and gone somewhere else for Master degree. I am at this moment considering East Carolina for my Master Degree in INFOSEC. Don't forget that WGU has multiple accreditations. If you are really concerned I would contact the institution you are intersted in getting your Master degree at and ask them.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks for the link and great suggestion on contacting the institute. I'm just trying to really figure out what is going to be best. I really love the idea of a degree + certs so I think I am going to end up going with the WGU route. I just want to clarify on some things before I dive in.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Thanks for the link and great suggestion on contacting the institute. I'm just trying to really figure out what is going to be best. I really love the idea of a degree + certs so I think I am going to end up going with the WGU route. I just want to clarify on some things before I dive in.
    Tell us what you find out!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Server+, Mobility+, MCDST, MCTS 70-640 & 642, 70-680+685, MCSA 2012 (409,411,410), 70-697, 70-346
    I'm leaning towards WGU as well, but I need them to give me straight answer about what old credits I can transfer in? I'd like to do the Network Admin, but I really don't want to do any more general studies courses than absolutely necessary.

I did the first two years of an Economics program almost 20 years ago, so I already have college credit for psych, lit, french, yadda yadda. I later did two years of a Computers Systems diploma, and now I'm one cert away from the MCITP:SA, so I'm delaying for sure until I'm done that..

May also self-study for Security+ before applying (two reasons: one, to get it done before end of year and have a lifetime cert; two, so that I won't have to use my WGU time to earn it)

Anyways, I can't seem to get a firm reply saying "Yes, you took this this and this, you won't have to take them again" and whether I can transfer my credits to more than 25% of the WGU courses
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Piers View Post
    I'm leaning towards WGU as well, but I need them to give me straight answer about what old credits I can transfer in? I'd like to do the Network Admin, but I really don't want to do any more general studies courses than absolutely necessary.

I did the first two years of an Economics program almost 20 years ago, so I already have college credit for psych, lit, french, yadda yadda. I later did two years of a Computers Systems diploma, and now I'm one cert away from the MCITP:SA, so I'm delaying for sure until I'm done that..

May also self-study for Security+ before applying (two reasons: one, to get it done before end of year and have a lifetime cert; two, so that I won't have to use my WGU time to earn it)

Anyways, I can't seem to get a firm reply saying "Yes, you took this this and this, you won't have to take them again" and whether I can transfer my credits to more than 25% of the WGU courses
    I imagine they are protecting themselves by not giving a firm yes or no without it being evaluated. You simply need to send in your paperwork.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications

The best way to find out is probably to apply. I'm sure there are people here that would be glad to refer you to the program so that you don't have to pay the application fee but you could find out what transfers this way.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    I'm sure there are people here that would be glad to refer you to the program so that you don't have to pay the application fee but you could find out what transfers this way.
    I am certainly more than willing to refer you...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA, STS, Security+, Net+, A+
    I'm thinking about enrolling in WGU. I currently have an A.A.S. in Network Administration and Engineering from a local community college here in my home state. I also have MCSA, Net+, and A+ certifications. Hopefully, I'll have Security+ on March 26th.

I like that WGU is online and can work with my work schedule. Currently, I'm an IT admin at a local bank. My question is has anybody tried transferring credits to WGU? Also, do they take certifications for credit?

Thanks,
    Sub
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Server+, Mobility+, MCDST, MCTS 70-640 & 642, 70-680+685, MCSA 2012 (409,411,410), 70-697, 70-346
    The best way to find out is probably to apply. I'm sure there are people here that would be glad to refer you to the program so that you don't have to pay the application fee but you could find out what transfers this way.
    I'd prefer to get the answers, before I pay my old uni's to send out transcript for assessment.. if I can confirm that yes, everything previously done will count (eliminating perhaps 60-70% of the program), then I'm on board
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    I'd prefer to get the answers, before I pay my old uni's to send out transcript for assessment.. if I can confirm that yes, everything previously done will count (eliminating perhaps 60-70% of the program), then I'm on board
    I have applied to numerous colleges/universities in the past, and I have yet to have one give me an answer over the phone. They want to see your transcripts.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+, A+, Security+, MCP (270,290,291), MCSA, MCSA: Security, MCITP:SA, CIW Professional, BS IT, MSIA
    Most schools that I have applied to will accept a unofficial copy and course description in order to see what will transfer over.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Project +, MCSA, MCSE, MCITP:EA

See this is the problem that I have as well, only that I have zero college credits. I'm wondering if I can take CLEP exams for certain classes and transfer them in. Or is that even necessary? Don't they have their own version of "testing out" of classes?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    SAS Certified Base Programmer, MCSE, MCSA:S, VCP, Sec+, Project+, Net+, A+, CIW Pro/Database, BS-IT
    Quote Originally Posted by subl1m1nal View Post
    I like that WGU is online and can work with my work schedule. Currently, I'm an IT admin at a local bank. My question is has anybody tried transferring credits to WGU? Also, do they take certifications for credit?
    Yes, you can provide transcripts from CompTIA, Microsoft, etc. to get credit for some courses. I'm not sure if older versions of the CompTIA exams will carry over or not.

Also, it looks like most of the programs that include Microsoft based exams are now on the 2008 server exams instead of the MCSA/MCSE track. When I started, that wasn't the case, and I got credit for all of my MCSE exams.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, Sec+, Project+,MCSA 2003, MCTS SBS 2008, MCTS SBS 2011, MCITP EDA Win7, MCITP DST Win 7, BS Info Tech
    Old CompTIA exams do not apply. I have to take A+ and N+ again. Also you have to take the full exam not a bridge exam. Seems to be same with Microsoft have to take exams as if you are not certified instead of upgrading.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCTS: 70-680, MCP: 70-270, Security+, Net+, A+
    I'm wrapping up my 3rd term at WGU for BS in IT. I should be finished with the program by this time next year.

If anyone wants a referral to waive the application fee, you may PM me as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by bwcarty View Post
    Yes, you can provide transcripts from CompTIA, Microsoft, etc. to get credit for some courses. I'm not sure if older versions of the CompTIA exams will carry over or not.

Also, it looks like most of the programs that include Microsoft based exams are now on the 2008 server exams instead of the MCSA/MCSE track. When I started, that wasn't the case, and I got credit for all of my MCSE exams.
    While most are on the 2008 server exam, I thought that a lot of courses in the Network Design and Management route could be skipped with the MCSA/MCSE (as stated on the 10/09 transfer list). If it has been updated, can I get the list..lol
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Got a copy of the Transfer Evaluation Guidelines.. All certs, degrees or courses for the Core IT stuff must have been completed within the past 5 years.

It also says theat "WGU does not perform unofficial evaluations or accept unofficial transcripts". It also states that the Official transcript evaluations will occur in the month prior to your start, which tells me you need to be committed to the program before you can find out which courses you don't have to take.. That's just not going to work for me.. I'm too old to start first year college again..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE, MCSA, CNA, CCNA (expired), Project+, Linux+, CNE (expired), OCA MySQL 5, ITIL Foundation
    It also says theat "WGU does not perform unofficial evaluations or accept unofficial transcripts". It also states that the Official transcript evaluations will occur in the month prior to your start, which tells me you need to be committed to the program before you can find out which courses you don't have to take.. That's just not going to work for me.. I'm too old to start first year college again..
    I'd recommend this route, if you don't need financial aid:
    1. Rush your transcripts to them. Get tracking info if possible.
    2. Get a referral so you don't have to pay the application fee, and apply.
    You might also have to:
    3. Take the admission assessment exam.
    4. Make the two-payment arrangement with the bursar (but don't pay until you start!)
    5. Sit the intake interview.
    They're supposed to have a transfer evaluation to you within five days of receiving your transcripts, according to the student handbook. If they don't have that to you within five days and your program hasn't started yet, I'd be surprised if you couldn't withdraw your application.

The transfer evaluation is probably one of the few areas I have a complaint with WGU on. Even the big 4 "assessment colleges" (Excelsior, TESC, Charter Oak and Athabasca) will tell you how your transfers look after you submit the application and pay the application fee. With those schools, you can see the transfer eval first and then decide if you want to commit.

On the bright side, I have heard of WGU taking very old General Ed from community colleges and even places like ITT.
    Last edited by petedude; 03-09-2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: phrasing
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    Did you guys send your MS transcript info to certificateinfo@wgu.edu?

Seemed odd to randomly send an email to a generic address and hope it ends up in the right hands.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper-Me View Post
    Did you guys send your MS transcript info to certificateinfo@wgu.edu?

Seemed odd to randomly send an email to a generic address and hope it ends up in the right hands.

I sent mine directly to my enrollment counselor.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 198 First 12 34561252102 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks