+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 198 First 123 45671353103 ... Last
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE, MCSA, CNA, CCNA (expired), Project+, Linux+, CNE (expired), OCA MySQL 5, ITIL Foundation
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper-Me View Post
    Did you guys send your MS transcript info to certificateinfo@wgu.edu?

Seemed odd to randomly send an email to a generic address and hope it ends up in the right hands.
    That's interesting. I sent my Cisco transcript to my enrollment counselor's E-mail address-- they got it OK.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+, A+, Security+, MCP (270,290,291), MCSA, MCSA: Security, MCITP:SA, CIW Professional, BS IT, MSIA
    Quote Originally Posted by bwcarty View Post
    Yes, you can provide transcripts from CompTIA, Microsoft, etc. to get credit for some courses. I'm not sure if older versions of the CompTIA exams will carry over or not.

Also, it looks like most of the programs that include Microsoft based exams are now on the 2008 server exams instead of the MCSA/MCSE track. When I started, that wasn't the case, and I got credit for all of my MCSE exams.
    They accept the older versions if you passed the exam within the last 5 years
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    GPEN, GCIH, SFCP, CPT, CEH, QND
    I am very interested on hearing about possible transfer credit from CLEP/DANTES and Credit for military experience. If anyone could ask their counselor, please do, and let us know.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE, MCSA, CNA, CCNA (expired), Project+, Linux+, CNE (expired), OCA MySQL 5, ITIL Foundation
    Quote Originally Posted by SephStorm View Post
    I am very interested on hearing about possible transfer credit from CLEP/DANTES and Credit for military experience. If anyone could ask their counselor, please do, and let us know.
    My understanding is that CLEP/DANTES exams are accepted if they are part of complete knowledge "domains"-- e.g. courses grouped together by subject area. As an imaginary example-- if you had three math courses to complete for a domain, and two were completed as college classes and one as CLEP it's likely they would consider that competency completed.

I've also heard of students taking CLEP/DANTES as part of their assigned coursework. but don't quote me on that one.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member

Certifications
    CompTIA: A+, Network+, Security+, Project+
    Glad to have found this forum! I'm wrapping up my first term at WGU in the Network Design and Management emphasis. I have no professional background in IT and I currently hold no certs but the school fits my needs very well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    GPEN, GCIH, SFCP, CPT, CEH, QND
    Welcome Josh.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    Welcome to TE!
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BS:IT, MCSE 2k3, MCITP:EA, OCP 10g, OCE:10g RAC, OCP 12C, A few +
    Network Design & Management is the one that I am working on as well. My whole 2003 MCSE+S transferred in, Net+, and OCP all waived classes. I had only a few IT related classes to do (SCJA, CIW Associate and Project+). After my term ends at the end of July, I'll have one term with one class remaining: The Capstone Project. The whole program just went through an overhaul within the past 2 weeks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member ruralgeekgirl's Avatar

Certifications
    CompTia A+, Project+, CIW Associate
    Howdy all. Just checking in. I'm currently in the MSCE track of Network Design and Management, but may change to the new track coming up soon. I'm in my second term and currently studying for the 70-270 test in 10 days (egads), so wish me luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member

Default Similar Situation, Need help

Quote Originally Posted by Piers View Post
    I'd prefer to get the answers, before I pay my old uni's to send out transcript for assessment.. if I can confirm that yes, everything previously done will count (eliminating perhaps 60-70% of the program), then I'm on board
    I am in a similar situation. I am graduating with AS in Business Admin. I wanted to know if you were successful in transfering your credits to WGU? I am leaning towards them but not unless I know how much is being transfered.
    IN a local college I will be able to transfer all the sixty credits. The bad part is they dont have online classes.

Thanks for reading and I hope you will answer.

--S
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by ruralgeekgirl View Post
    Howdy all. Just checking in. I'm currently in the MSCE track of Network Design and Management, but may change to the new track coming up soon. I'm in my second term and currently studying for the 70-270 test in 10 days (egads), so wish me luck!
    Welcome to TE!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    Quote Originally Posted by ruralgeekgirl View Post
    Welcome to TE.
    Isn't that the XP Pro client test? You'll need to take either the Vista or Windows 7 Client test (on your own dime) to get the MCITP.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Piers View Post
    I'm leaning towards WGU as well, but I need them to give me straight answer about what old credits I can transfer in? I'd like to do the Network Admin, but I really don't want to do any more general studies courses than absolutely necessary.

I did the first two years of an Economics program almost 20 years ago, so I already have college credit for psych, lit, french, yadda yadda. I later did two years of a Computers Systems diploma, and now I'm one cert away from the MCITP:SA, so I'm delaying for sure until I'm done that..

May also self-study for Security+ before applying (two reasons: one, to get it done before end of year and have a lifetime cert; two, so that I won't have to use my WGU time to earn it)

Anyways, I can't seem to get a firm reply saying "Yes, you took this this and this, you won't have to take them again" and whether I can transfer my credits to more than 25% of the WGU courses
    I think they limit your transfer credits to 70%
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    That sounds about right for most colleges/universities.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member

Default Transfer details

Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    Will I be able to find out how much degree was transferred before I pay the fees. I just don't want to take same classes again.

Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by im_nightrider2003 View Post
    Will I be able to find out how much degree was transferred before I pay the fees.
    You will have to pay in order for an evaluation to be done. I don't know of any college (including my local state university) that doesn't have an enrollment fee that includes having my credits evaluated. It's just how it works. Because you pay the enrollment fee doesn't mean you have to take classes. I had to do the same thing when I wanted my credits evaluated by the University of South Carolina.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member

Default Enrollment Fee

Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    You will have to pay in order for an evaluation to be done. I don't know of any college (including my local state university) that doesn't have an enrollment fee that includes having my credits evaluated. It's just how it works. Because you pay the enrollment fee doesn't mean you have to take classes. I had to do the same thing when I wanted my credits evaluated by the University of South Carolina.
    Enrollment Fee is ok . I am talking about the 3000 Dollars or so per term.

Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by im_nightrider2003 View Post
    Enrollment Fee is ok . I am talking about the 3000 Dollars or so per term.
    Glad we got that straightened around, and lets not forget that the enrollment fee can be waived by another student/alumni recommending you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Isn't that the application fee for a referal?
    We should prob start a thread for people who want to look into WGU for TE members who are WGU to refer them. Don't forget, we also get a $50 Amazon gift (limit 1 per year) when we refer someone.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    Glad we got that straightened around, and lets not forget that the enrollment fee can be waived by another student/alumni recommending you.
    Actually, I think you mean "application fee". I believe "enrollment fee" would be synonymous with "tuition" at WGU.

While we're on this subject, this part of the thread has touched a sore spot. I'm hearing increasing stories of students not getting their transfer information until they've paid their tuition, which I think is a less-than-wonderful practice. Most colleges will tell you immediately once you've applied and once they've received the transcripts where your transfers will fall, and it doesn't seem like WGU is doing that consistently. In many cases, it sounds like students are having to wait until their AAP (study plan) is available to find out how their transfers are credited!! This is not a great practice in comparison to most schools, where you know right after you pay the application fee and before you shell out for tuition (great examples: Excelsior College, Charter Oak State College). It would be a shame to think WGU would have to rope students in this way.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by petedude View Post
    Actually, I think you mean "application fee". I believe "enrollment fee" would be synonymous with "tuition" at WGU.
    I guess your right, thanks for clarifying that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by petedude View Post
    While we're on this subject, this part of the thread has touched a sore spot. I'm hearing increasing stories of students not getting their transfer information until they've paid their tuition, which I think is a less-than-wonderful practice. Most colleges will tell you immediately once you've applied and once they've received the transcripts where your transfers will fall, and it doesn't seem like WGU is doing that consistently. In many cases, it sounds like students are having to wait until their AAP (study plan) is available to find out how their transfers are credited!! This is not a great practice in comparison to most schools, where you know right after you pay the application fee and before you shell out for tuition (great examples: Excelsior College, Charter Oak State College). It would be a shame to think WGU would have to rope students in this way.
    I really wonder if this has more to do with students rushing to start their classes without waiting to see what transfers. For example, if you were to send in your transcripts on the third week of the month right before classes start (also the beginning of the busiest two weeks of WGU's month), and you want to start next month then don't plan on getting your transcripts back before you start. Honestly, who starts classes without finding out what has transferred?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    SAS Certified Base Programmer, MCSE, MCSA:S, VCP, Sec+, Project+, Net+, A+, CIW Pro/Database, BS-IT
    I really wonder if this has more to do with students rushing to start their classes without waiting to see what transfers.
    Yeah, I put in my application and had my transcripts sent in several months before I planned on enrolling. My transcript was evaluated, and I saw exactly what I was getting credit for.

I ended up putting off my enrollment until I could finish a few more Microsoft certs on my own, and after that, I sent in an updated Microsoft transcript. All in all, it was a relatively painless process, but I also wasn't in a rush.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Junior Member

Default Transfer of credits

Quote Originally Posted by bwcarty View Post
    Yeah, I put in my application and had my transcripts sent in several months before I planned on enrolling. My transcript was evaluated, and I saw exactly what I was getting credit for.

I ended up putting off my enrollment until I could finish a few more Microsoft certs on my own, and after that, I sent in an updated Microsoft transcript. All in all, it was a relatively painless process, but I also wasn't in a rush.
    Thanks. That discussion helped me a lot. I think I need to start the process as soon as I gradute but dont want to rush and start classes right away. I might even get some certifications done before that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    I really wonder if this has more to do with students rushing to start their classes without waiting to see what transfers. For example, if you were to send in your transcripts on the third week of the month right before classes start (also the beginning of the busiest two weeks of WGU's month), and you want to start next month then don't plan on getting your transcripts back before you start. Honestly, who starts classes without finding out what has transferred?

There may be truth in what hes saying.

I have all my stuff in and I keep asking my enrollment counselor to see my transfer credits and hes dodging the question. He simply keeps telling me to make sure my student loan (not fafsa) stuff is complete. On the online portal it says my AAP isnt available until I am marked as an active student.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 198 First 123 45671353103 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks