+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 284 First 12 34561252102 ... Last
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE, MCSA, CNA, CCNA (expired), Project+, Linux+, CNE (expired), OCA MySQL 5, ITIL Foundation
    Quote Originally Posted by fly351 View Post
    I think I read some where that there are few people here on TE that have graduated from WGU. Can you share your experience in terms of after graduation?

1. What degree did you graduate with (BS/MS in X)?
    2. Do you think that the degree has proven to be worthwhile?
    3. Has it improved your salary?
    4. Has it landed you a better position?

Thanks
    All good questions. I hope some alumni pop in and let us know. I've checked the various WGU boards around the 'net, and haven't seen any feedback along these lines yet.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A few
    I just got my CIW books. Do I have to read all of these to pass the foundations test? lol
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    Depends on how you did on the preassesment. I did really lousy when I took it so I ended up reading them all. Find your weak areas and concentrate on those.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    Got my CIW encyclopedia as well, but i got an 86% on the pre assessment. I might glance at some of these books.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    IT 1 and EWB completed.

Didn't even crack a book for IT 1.

2 classes in 2 weeks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:Voice, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA, CCENT, Security +, Network +, A+,CIW
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper-Me View Post
    IT 1 and EWB completed.

Didn't even crack a book for IT 1.

2 classes in 2 weeks.
    Now THAT is amazing! I can't wait to start!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Math is just a matter of practicing and learning a few rules and how to manipulate them. I wish some of the things I'm studying now were as easy for me to understand as math.
    Getting ready for my 70-640 and group policy seems to be my main weak point right now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    Math is just a matter of practicing and learning a few rules and how to manipulate them. I wish some of the things I'm studying now were as easy for me to understand as math.
    Getting ready for my 70-640 and group policy seems to be my main weak point right now.
    The 'ease' of things is a matter of perceptive. I'd much rather learn more about group policy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Doing extra reading and stuying on it. Doing every practice exercise in the MS Press book and the Sybex book along with doing the simulations in my Labsim/testout cbt. Starting to understand better how ,and why,to manipulate it.
    The point is that learning "new" things requires study and practice. If I had experience with server 2008 before taking this course it would be easy for me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    Math is, logically, the easiest thing there is. Because you dont have to go into the test knowing the answers, because everything you need to get it is on the test itself.

What makes it hard for me is that I find zero interest in it whatsoever, so it makes it hard to *click* on my level of thinking.

When i install a piece of software with a GPO (or whatever) I see a result, and therefore it means something to me.

When I simply Log4^12 + Log5^16 it leaves me going "Why the hell did i do that, ill never use it"
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Math is, logically, the easiest thing there is. Because you dont have to go into the test knowing the answers, because everything you need to get it is on the test itself.

What makes it hard for me is that I find zero interest in it whatsoever, so it makes it hard to *click* on my level of thinking.

When i install a piece of software with a GPO (or whatever) I see a result, and therefore it means something to me.

When I simply Log4^12 + Log5^16 it leaves me going "Why the hell did i do that, ill never use it"
    +1 I Agree totally! This is me!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Just Married!

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CIW Pro, Web designer, JavaScript, and Database, 70-680, CCNA, CCNA Security
    I'm excited! Most of my paperwork is in and I have a May 1st start date. My enrollment counselor told me that the EWB class should only take a few days if you're good at computers. Just need to get financial aid squared away and them to get my transcript.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by themagicone View Post
    I'm excited! Most of my paperwork is in and I have a May 1st start date. My enrollment counselor told me that the EWB class should only take a few days if you're good at computers. Just need to get financial aid squared away and them to get my transcript.
    EWB took a few hours...lol...

Congrats on starting!!! From my pov, the school is awesome. I'm loving it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE, MCSA, CNA, CCNA (expired), Project+, Linux+, CNE (expired), OCA MySQL 5, ITIL Foundation

Default Form letters. . .

I wish WGU would fix their form letters. It looks really unprofessional (almost spam-ish) to get E-mail from one person when another is listed as the sender.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member
    I agree. It looks quite tacky.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A few
    Just to the CIW Foundations pre assessment. smh.

53% (16/30). I split every topic down the middle. Welp, I guess I have to get to studying these encyclopedias.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    It was my first cert as well and I had to read them all. It's a very broad subject. It's a mile wide and an inch deep, but you'll learn a few things.
    I probably spent more time studying for foundations than I did for the A+, but I already had experience working with computers.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BS: IT, CCNA, CCENT, CCDA, MCTIP:SA, MCTS, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+, CIW Professional
    I'm off to a great start. This month I was able to complete EWB, LAE1, WFV1, and LAC1. I am hoping to continue at this pace so I can finish my degree in a year and a half.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member

Default WGU Student

I am Lisa King. I am currently at the end of my 2nd year with WGU. I am working on a Bachelor Degree in IT with Major in Network Design and Management. I am also a 47 year old mom, with a full time job at a security company as IT Professional and wow, so little time to study but staying on course.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaKayKing View Post
    I am Lisa King. I am currently at the end of my 2nd year with WGU. I am working on a Bachelor Degree in IT with Major in Network Design and Management. I am also a 47 year old mom, with a full time job at a security company as IT Professional and wow, so little time to study but staying on course.
    I am 27 years old and work a full time job. I have been married for just over a year now. I plan on starting within the next two months - after I finish up Security+ and Project+.

I was worried about the work load. It helps to see others with a full plate of work handle things. I dont have any kids yet, but I could only imagine how tough it would be.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    WGU's scheduling methods frustrate me to no end. That and the fact that my usual testing center (a college) shuts down for a month at a time a couple times a year.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    51 activities? Man, EWB is a bigger deal than I thought.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BS: IT, CCNA, CCENT, CCDA, MCTIP:SA, MCTS, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+, CIW Professional
    WGU's scheduling methods frustrate me to no end. That and the fact that my usual testing center (a college) shuts down for a month at a time a couple times a year.
    Have you checked out the webassessor proctoring method? This will allow you to use a webcam and take all objective exams (minus the IT certifications) at home. If you sign up for this, you can schedule objective exams two or 3 days in advance instead of having to wait two weeks and go the prometric testing center (or college) every singe time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    Quote Originally Posted by snokerpoker View Post
    Have you checked out the webassessor proctoring method? This will allow you to use a webcam and take all objective exams (minus the IT certifications) at home. If you sign up for this, you can schedule objective exams two or 3 days in advance instead of having to wait two weeks and go the prometric testing center (or college) every singe time.
    I thought this was only done in rare circumstances. (no testing centers in the area, disabled people, pregnant women, etc)

I've also heard bad things about it. Apparently if you move ever so slightly they shut the test down because they think you are cheating. They also shut the test down if there is any background noise whatsoever.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, VCP4/5, VCAP5-DCA, C|EH, CCENT
    I had the same issue when I first started the enrollment process in dec of 08. My counseler went on vacation for the week between xmas and new years. I planned to start on Jan 1st. After several phonecalls somebody else completed my enrollment. Frustrating yes but 14 months later my degree is done. It
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 284 First 12 34561252102 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks