View Poll Results: Is facial hair acceptable?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I shave/would shave before an interview.

25 28.74%
  • Yes, as long it's trimmed and neatly groomed.

62 71.26%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last

Default Facial hair & interviews

I'm curious about everyone's opinion on this. Is it ok as long as it's trimmed and neatly groomed? Is a mustache ok? Goatee? Jawline? Where do you draw the line personally?
    Last edited by xenodamus; 04-14-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: apostrophication
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCA-DCV | CCA: XenDesktop 5, XenServer 6
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. Login/register to remove this advertisement.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xenodamus View Post
    I'm curious about everyone's opinion this. Is it ok as long as its trimmed and neatly groomed? Is a mustache ok? Goatee? Jawline? Where do you draw the line personally?
    I think it is fine as long as you don't look like captain hook, kimbo slice, or well any of these guys Google Image Result for http://jugsi.com/wp-content/uploads/weird-beard.jpg
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, MCTS, Security+
    My facial hair has caused me zero problems.
    Reading: Mastering Windows 2008R2
    2014 Cert goals: GCIH, MCSA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. The Colosus of Clout Paul Boz's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCDA, CCNA, CCNA Security, NSTISSI 4011, GSEC, GCFW, GCIH, GCIA
    I've worn a beard since I was 18, and its well-groomed. I interface with high-level banking executives on a regular basis and I've never had a problem. I wouldn't roll into an interview with a soul patch or a fu man chu but if facial hair is a standard part of your look go with it. Don't change who you are for a job, that's foolish.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP
    Personally I keep it clean shaven for an interview. If I were interviewing people I wouldn't have an issue with neatly groomed facial hair though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senile old fart laidbackfreak's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCVP, CCNAV, CCNAS, CCNA
    Over the years I've had all sorts of facial hair, goatee's, stripes, tufts, currently full beard that is trimmed n shaped. Its never caused me a problem as yet.

ps. OT but coincidently my new beard trimmer just arrived lol
    Last edited by laidbackfreak; 04-14-2010 at 04:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. 1 of the Cool Kidz!!! BradleyHU's Avatar

Certifications
    B.S. in CIS | MCDST | MCSA:W7/MCITP:EDST7
    as long as it is neat, you're good money. i know i shave once a week because, i dont need to shave everyday cuz my facial doesnt grow THAT fast, and also i'm not trying to have irritated skin, razor bumps, and ingrowns all the time.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    #Shoutout to Spring Oh Fly, Deuce Club, Tail Club 2-EΣ-SP05 GOMAB or GO HOME! 100 years of Brotherhood, Scholarship & Service!!!
    WIP: 70-640(TBD) | 70-243(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:Voice, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA, CCENT, Security +, Network +, A+,CIW
    It is a bad poll, IMO. I personally shave before an interview, but nearly trimmed facial hair that is beneficial to one demeanor is in no way a bad thing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member jamesleecoleman's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT | Network+ : A+ : Security+ : Life+
    Having facial hair has never caused me problems. I just had to make sure it wasn't all crazy like. I've seen some jobs that required no facial hair like in the food industry (GFS).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Juniper Moderator Moderator Aldur's Avatar

Certifications
    JNCIE-SEC#67, JNCIE-SP#383, JNCIE-ENT#47, JNCIP-SP#598, JNCIP-SEC, JNCIP-ENT, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIA-JUNOS, CCNA
    I've always had facial hair and I've never had a problem with it. I have to agree with Paul in regards to doing what you normally do. If I were cleaned shaved before an interview I would feel really awkward.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by chmorin View Post
    It is a bad poll, IMO.
    How so? Either you feel that neatly groomed facial hair is acceptable, or you don't. I ask the question because I ran across more than one website that suggested you shave any facial hair before an interview, with the exception of maybe a mustache, and grow it back later.

I personally have facial hair that I groom and trim on a regular basis, so I found the suggestion odd. I don't feel that facial hair should be a strike against you in an interview and wondered how many others feel the same.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCA-DCV | CCA: XenDesktop 5, XenServer 6
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. The Colosus of Clout Paul Boz's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCDA, CCNA, CCNA Security, NSTISSI 4011, GSEC, GCFW, GCIH, GCIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldur View Post
    I've always had facial hair and I've never had a problem with it. I have to agree with Paul in regards to doing what you normally do. If I were cleaned shaved before an interview I would feel really awkward.
    You'd also look like a damn slob when you tried to grow your facial hair back
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. The Colosus of Clout Paul Boz's Avatar

Certifications
    How so? Either you feel that neatly groomed facial hair is acceptable, or you don't. I ask the question because I ran across more than one website that suggested you shave any facial hair before an interview, with the exception of maybe a mustache, and grow it back later.

I personally have facial hair that I groom and trim on a regular basis, so I found the suggestion odd. I don't feel that facial hair should be a strike against you in an interview and wondered how many others feel the same.
    I'd say that that article you read is more the exception than the norm. Perhaps if you're looking into a medical field or food service, but I can't think of any reason why well-groomed facial hair would be unacceptable. Perhaps its a mental image thing? If someone walks into an interview and they're middle-aged with a beard its going to age that person visually. On the other hand, I'm 25 and its difficult for someone my age to get support or confidence from executives. Facial hair is used to positively visually age myself.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications

One option is if I shave, not if I think everyone should shave. That is why it is a bad poll. It could be:

You should have no facial hair.
    You can have neatly trimmed facial hair.

But people get the point. I have met many a-people who look worse without facial hair than with.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP
    One option is if I shave, not if I think everyone should shave. That is why it is a bad poll. It could be:

You should have no facial hair.
    You can have neatly trimmed facial hair.

But people get the point. I have met many a-people who look worse without facial hair than with.

I was thinking the same thing. I picked the "shave" option because that's what I do, not that I think everyone should.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by networker050184 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I picked the "shave" option because that's what I do, not that I think everyone should.
    See i did the exact opposite haha.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A few
    I went into my last interview with a nice trim, but I have freeform locks so I doubt they were looking at my chin hair.
    Reading - CVOICE Notes, Learning Perl, QoS Official Exam Guide
    Song for the Year - Trials Turned to Gold - Keith Green
    Reply With Quote Quote  

One option is if I shave, not if I think everyone should shave.
    I see. The latter is what I was going for - whether everyone views facial hair as acceptable or not.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I see. The latter is what I was going for - whether everyone views facial hair as acceptable or not.
    Regardless people's replies tell you their opinion. So it does not really matter =) I think each individual should be dressed and groomed in a professional demeanor that is unique to themselves. As long as that is accomplished, who cares what is on their face?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Member

Certifications
    A+, MCSA+M, MCSE, VCP
    I personally don't see an issue with groomed facial hair. I have about a 6" goatee that I have had since I was 17. Granted, my wife does take about 3" off if I do go for an interview, but I try to avoid letting her chop it off.

As long as you are presentable, professionally, I think it is OK.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S, JNCIA-JunOS, CCA-Netscaler 10, MCITP:EA
    I shave normally. I wish male pattern baldness affected the face and not the scalp.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    Quote Originally Posted by Zartanasaurus View Post
    I shave normally. I wish male pattern baldness affected the face and not the scalp.

Its almost like this for me. I can not shave for 3 days and all I have is what looks like highschoolers stubble. My dad started going bald pretty young but I havnt yet, so I don't *think* I ended up with that gene, lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. The Colosus of Clout Paul Boz's Avatar

Certifications
    I started going bald when I was 16 which may have lead to my beard. Compensating possibly?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S, JNCIA-JunOS, CCA-Netscaler 10, MCITP:EA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper-Me View Post
    Its almost like this for me. I can not shave for 3 days and all I have is what looks like highschoolers stubble. My dad started going bald pretty young but I havnt yet, so I don't *think* I ended up with that gene, lol.
    Is your mom's dad (or your mom) bald? Your dad has nothing to do with it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, iNet+, Linux+, ITILv3 Foundation
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Boz View Post
    On the other hand, I'm 25
    Looking over at your list of certs, I suddenly feel like a serious slacker.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks