+ Reply to Thread
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, Passed BCMSN, Security+, Network+, 74-324, 70-410

Default How to look for NOC Jobs?

I've been interested in working in a NOC for some time now. I'm a relatively recent college graduate (May, 2009) with experience working at my college on both systems and networking.

My problem is how do I go about finding these types of positions. Typing "NOC" onto job boards was not as helpful as I thought it might be. What should I be searching for, and where?

My primary area of interest is Rochester, NY. Does anyone know how the market is up there?

I don't want to spam anything, but would someone be willing to take a look at my resume and let me know what they think? I think I'm more qualified than most new grads, but I might be basing that on the graduates from my particular school (not an overly technical place).

Anyway guys, I'd appreciate any information anyone might have.

Thanks,

Matt
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    Network+ : A+ : Security+ : eJPT : Life+
    Did you try typing "Network Operations" or "Network Operations Center" ? Indeed.com is very helpful in finding jobs. I found a few NOC jobs using indeed.com in my city over the length of three weeks. I'm sure someone on here would help you out on your resume.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    One good thing to do is to post a generic version of your resume in the resume do's and don'ts thread.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    None?
    Hey dude. Without experience a high end NOC doesn't want much if anything to do with you.

I would suggest you go ahead and finish your associate level training off CCNAV, CCNAS, CCNAW and CCDA. And toss in some client operating system skills. While working for a managed service provider. NY has one we team with sometimes called The Lloyd group, they seem to always need people.

Best of luck
    -Daniel
    Reply With Quote Quote  

You can take out your private information from your resume and upload it here for us to look at it and we would be happy to comment on it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    Be sure to post your resume up on Monster.com and CareerBuilder. The job I have right now found me instead of me finding them. It doesn't always happen that way, but it sure is nice when it does.
    Currently working on: Linux and Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rearden View Post
    How to look for NOC Jobs?
    NOC on wood?

/groan
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    I've removed my personal info and uploaded my resume here: copy of Resume.pdf

Although, anyone could probably figure out who I am anyway, with a little digging.

It's kind of funny if you think about it. I'm editing out my personal info while posting to a forum, but on the job boards, linkedIn, etc. I want my resume with my contact information to be seen by as many people as possible.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look. It's nice to have some people actually in IT to be able to give me some feedback, as opposed to the more general sort of feedback that comes from traditional resume reviews (school, library etc.)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I roughly went through your cv, I think you need to change the resume template.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by ipconfig.all View Post
    I roughly went through your cv, I think you need to change the resume template.
    Oh, that's not a good sign. I didn't even use a template.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNP(collab), S+
    for NOC jobs you have to go where they are at, but at the same time they are all over the place. Some large service providers have NOC's. Some large Corps have there own NOC's.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    NOC on wood?

/groan

laff

Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel333 View Post
    Hey dude. Without experience a high end NOC doesn't want much if anything to do with you.
    Ummm, on the contrary, NOC work is often times the starting point for many entering the networking industry. Half the job is troubleshooting with the other half being escalation.

To the original poster, you should be looking at service providers. Just be prepared to work ridiculous hours with minimal pay. I applaud your efforts, however, as it will no doubt yield great gains in understanding how a network actually functions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Member
    I actually live in rochester NY and work for a company called PAETEC. I am in the NOC but have accepted another position from with the company. I know they hire NOC employees all the time. PM me I can give you some more info.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA/CCNA:V/ATSA-IN
    I know this topic is old. How did the job search go for NOC in Rochester? I worked for PAETEC NOC for a while.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    Sec+, Proj+, Net+, A+, MCITP:SA, MCTS:W7, CCENT
    there are def a lot less noc jobs than help desk jobs. I started off in help desk for 2 years before moving on to a NOC.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by drkat View Post
    I know this topic is old. How did the job search go for NOC in Rochester? I worked for PAETEC NOC for a while.
    I ended up working for an MSP, actually.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA/CCNA:V/ATSA-IN
    Which one lol? you guys hiring? I'm at a hosted voip company
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks