+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: New Job W/ AT&T

1. Senior Member billscott92787's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, CCNA, CCNA: Wireless, C|EH, C|HFI, Cloud+, Masters - Information Security and Assurance, B.S. Networking and Comm. Mgmt.

Default New Job W/ AT&T

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you guys know that I finally landed a good job to move into the networking realm and get some hands on experience after getting my CCNP. I got an offer from AT&T as a Network Engineer. Very good pay. I'm pretty excited, it says that I will be dealing with BGP, EIGRP, MPLS, and QoS mainly. I'm excited to get some more experience with all these in a production environment, it will definitely help with my studying for my CCIE!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by billscott92787 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you guys know that I finally landed a good job to move into the networking realm and get some hands on experience after getting my CCNP. I got an offer from AT&T as a Network Engineer. Very good pay. I'm pretty excited, it says that I will be dealing with BGP, EIGRP, MPLS, and QoS mainly. I'm excited to get some more experience with all these in a production environment, it will definitely help with my studying for my CCIE!!!
    Dude, that is most awesome. I'm sure you'll do well. Congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCITP EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA, VCP 5, CCA, CCEE, CCIA, CCE-V
    Hey Guys,

Good luck. I have consult for ATT a few times. They are good to learn at as well. They are always doing interesting stuff.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    Congrats! Once you get to mess around on the big provider network you won't ever want to mess around with the small enterprise networks again.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Congrats!

Just wondering, how much networking experience do you have?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    Very nice! Get me a job, haha.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. coffee all day everyday. nicklauscombs's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA: Security, JNCIA-FWV, JNCIA-SSL, MCP, A+, Network+, Security+, CNSS 4011
    thats exciting news! congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    CCNP
    Congrats man! I'm sure it feels great!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member billscott92787's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, CCNA, CCNA: Wireless, C|EH, C|HFI, Cloud+, Masters - Information Security and Assurance, B.S. Networking and Comm. Mgmt.
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    Congrats!

Just wondering, how much networking experience do you have?

To be honest, I've posted around somewhere on here before I don't even work in Networking right now. I work on a Help Desk, and got my CCNA and CCNP on my own self-study, to move into the networking field. So legit work experience, none at this point, only what I've learned by labbing at home. The best part is they already know that but are willing to train me, as well as invest in my CCIE studies I have to be honest, with the offer, I'm pretty blessed that I'll only have to drive 15 minutes to work from home, and make VERY good money.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. coffee all day everyday. nicklauscombs's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA: Security, JNCIA-FWV, JNCIA-SSL, MCP, A+, Network+, Security+, CNSS 4011
    To be honest, I've posted around somewhere on here before I don't even work in Networking right now. I work on a Help Desk, and got my CCNA and CCNP on my own self-study, to move into the networking field.
    That's fantastic. Proof that hard work and determination do pay off eventually. Congrats again.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member billscott92787's Avatar

Certifications
    I agree 100% and highly encourage anyone getting their CCNP that is discouraged in anyway KEEP GOING, it WILL pay off, maybe not immediately but eventually! I think It's a good place to lay my foundation
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    Whats the job description if you don't mind me asking?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member billscott92787's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by networker050184 View Post
    Whats the job description if you don't mind me asking?

Let me see if I can round it up. Give me a few.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member billscott92787's Avatar

Certifications
    I don't mind one bit.

Network Engineer
    Description
    Synopsis: Job Description for Network Engineer Support:

Isolate and resolve end-to-end connectivity issues within CPE router and telco circuit, including coordinating any required testing or dispatch among the site, vendor (s), and Telcos/LECs. Act as escalation point for difficult and critical issues. Advise customers of resolution. Oversee circuit, device, and configuration database. Help develop and improve techniques and procedures. Must be able to work closely with government personnel and other vendors onsite staff.

Qualifications:

Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, plus two years experience
    troubleshooting Network issues - both circuit and routing.
    Relevant work experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
    Experience using Network Monitoring tools, e.g., Openview, Netview, Netcool, etc
    Current CCNP Certification a PLUS

Skills Required:

Cisco router configuration and management experience
    Knowledge of IP routing, especially EIGRP and BGP routing protocols.
    Knowledge of MPLS (Multi Protocol Layer Switching) networks including QOS
    Experience using a trouble ticket tracking system, e.g., Remedy, Peregrine, Action Request System, etc

Skills Desired:

Cisco VoIP
    MPLS and QOS
    SNA,
    DLSw+
    BGP, EIGRP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    Sounds like it should be a pretty good learning experience man. Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member billscott92787's Avatar

Certifications
    Thanks man! I'm pretty excited. I hope to follow in your foot steps after talking with Mark on here, and since the CCIE R&S covers all areas of CCIP, go ahead and get the extra cert along the way. Congrats again on that awesome accomplishment!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    Congratz
    Currently working on: Linux and Python
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:R&S, CCDA
    Congrats!! AT&T is a good gig. Best of luck in the future!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, GXPN, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CEH, CNDA, CPT, Security+, Network+, A+
    Congrats man!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNP(collab), S+
    Congrats! Once you get to mess around on the big provider network you won't ever want to mess around with the small enterprise networks again.

Why do you say this Im currious. I worked on a big provider network where I provided access to voip and video services where I have no clue how many devices we managed. I've been on a network with a few hundred routers. I have also done networks where its 6 sites max. I actually prefer the smaller networks than the larger ones. I don't have to deal with the strict secruity requirements or argue with "internal" IT people cause they usually don't exsit. The only downside side is I cover a lot of ground cause I was usually with different customers everyday.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, MCITP:EA, Security+, VCA-DCV
    Thanks man! I'm pretty excited. I hope to follow in your foot steps after talking with Mark on here, and since the CCIE R&S covers all areas of CCIP, go ahead and get the extra cert along the way. Congrats again on that awesome accomplishment!!!
    Congrats man! Just curious, did you happen to know anyone or just did you just get an interview? The reason I ask is I thought about going after the CCNP but decided that I should probably wait until I get more experience. Sometimes a job comes down more to who you know rather than what. Just curious if this was the case in your situation.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by shodown View Post
    Why do you say this Im currious. I worked on a big provider network where I provided access to voip and video services where I have no clue how many devices we managed. I've been on a network with a few hundred routers. I have also done networks where its 6 sites max. I actually prefer the smaller networks than the larger ones. I don't have to deal with the strict secruity requirements or argue with "internal" IT people cause they usually don't exsit. The only downside side is I cover a lot of ground cause I was usually with different customers everyday.
    I much more enjoy working with large scale complex topics rather than a couple switches a firewall and a router like smaller networks. That gets old a boring quick IMO. The topics like BGP, MPLS etc. are a lot more interesting to me also than STP or firewall rules.

Of course this only applies to the people actually running the provider network and not the guys doing break/fix support. Those jobs aren't overly interesting compared to an enterprise gig.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I don't know about that. I work for a national ISP in their NOC and I would kill for a small enterprise network again. lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
    I don't know about that. I work for a national ISP in their NOC and I would kill for a small enterprise network again. lol.

I was more referring to the people engineering the network not the NOC types. Those jobs blow for sure.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I was more referring to the people engineering the network not the NOC types. Those jobs blow for sure.
    Point made, and it does. But we all start somewhere. At least resume looks good... one of the best things about this job is the exposure to various vendor equipment and technologies.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks