+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
  1. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, MCTS, Security+

Default Online Master degrees in INFOSEC (B&M list)

I have been surfing around trying to decide on an INFOSEC Master degree program for when I finish my BSIT at WGU. I am pretty much settled on pursuing a degree from a B&M rather than an online only university. Here is the list I have compiled so far. Hopefully it will be useful to others out there:

North Eastern University

Dakota State University
    **They also have an online Doctor of Science in Information Systems with the option for an emphasis in INFOSEC**

Norwich University

Boston University

Nova Southeastern

James Madison University

George Washington University

Georgia Tech

University of Maryland University College

Capitol College
    **They also have an online Doctor of Science in Information Systems with the option for an emphasis in INFOSEC**

East Carolina University

Davenport University

Mercy College

Regis University

Carnegie Mellon University

Penn State

Lewis University

University of Central Florida - M.S. Digital Forensics

Columbus State University

University of Advancing Technology

DePaul University

Iowa State University (Masters of Engineering in Information Assurance)

University of Denver

Northwestern University

University of Advancing Technology

Brandeis University

University of Dallas (MBA + MS in Information Assurance)

Fort Hays State University (MBA with concentration in INFOSEC)

Stevens Institute of Technology

City University of Seattle

Florida State University

George Mason University

Walsh College (concentration in Digital Forensics)

Utica College (Intelligence and Forensics)

University of Maryland: University College

MSIT: Emphasis in INFOSEC
    MS is Cybersecurity

Options
    : MS+MBA or MS in Cyber Security + MBA or MS in IT + MS in Cyber Security
    Last edited by veritas_libertas; 05-08-2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Walsh College, Utica College, UMUC
    Reading: Mastering Windows 2008R2
    2014 Cert goals: GCIH, MCSA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. Login/register to remove this advertisement.

Certifications
    CISSP, CEH/CNDA, MCSE:S&M 2K/2K3, MCITP: SA/EA/EMA2010, CCNP Security, CNSS 4011/4013
    That looks like a good list. My company has partnerships with a couple of those schools.

James Madison University has an MBA in Information Security. It is a very interesting concept. Each of the traditional MBA courses (accounting, management, business law, economics, etc) have an InfoSec bent to them, and then there are 4 InfoSec-only courses. The program through my work allows us to attend the first class of each course in person, but the rest is online; I am not sure if that is how it works for the general public.

George Washington University has an interesting graduate certificate in InfoSec that is four classes. It isn't offered online for my company, although I think it is for the general public; it is only offered at our company facility. The certificate also counts towards their MS in Computer Science.

Both schools are NSA Centers of Excellence.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Couple here, a couple there
    East Carolina University has a good program as well
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, MCTS, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by steve13ad View Post
    East Carolina University has a good program as well
    Yes, but insanely expensive for us that don't live in NC

Thanks for the reminder. I will add that to the list
    Last edited by veritas_libertas; 08-19-2010 at 02:21 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S, JNCIA-JunOS, CCA-Netscaler 10, MCITP:EA
    I think I listed most of these in the main online B&M degrees thread.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, MCTS, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by Zartanasaurus View Post
    I think I listed most of these in the main online B&M degrees thread.
    You did, I just wanted to start a thread that specifically focuses on Master degrees in INFOSEC.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. DoWork

Certifications
    vExpert, VCAP5-DCA, VCP5, CCNA:S, BSTM
    Graduate School & Graduate, MBA, Phd Programs & Degrees - GradSchools.com allows you to select schools with the program you want and the option for online. It's pretty comprehensive.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA, CCNA:Security, MCP, A+, N+, L+, MST:InfoSec, CNSS 4011-4015
    Nova is a pretty solid InfoSec program, I was going to go there when I thought things weren't going to workout at my local school.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    Most Recent: CISSP & CCDA
    You want to go to a school that well known in your target market. Alumni is a schools greatest asset.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, GXPN, OSCP, OSWP, C|EH, C|NDA, CPT, Security+, Network+, A+
    UMUC (University of Maryland University College) is a great school. They are just now setting up their cybersecurity (BS/MS) program so a few of the introductory courses may not be available until spring.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE (2003), Security+
    I'm looking into starting a MS in InfoSec soon (hopefully this spring). My top choice would be Georgia Tech, but even with partial tuition reimbursement from my employer, I'm not going to be able to swing the nearly $40k for the program.

After that, the James Madison InfoSec MS program seems pretty solid also. It was one of the original NSA Centers of Academic Excellence. I actually applied to the program and was accepted a couple of years back, but I had to put grad school on hold for some life issues. The interaction I had with the staff and faculty during the process was very positive.

I'm trying to get into the best program that I can afford, so unless GA Tech offers me a scholarship or other assistance, I'll probably end up at JMU.
    Last edited by pml1; 08-19-2010 at 10:15 PM.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CEH/CNDA, MCSE:S&M 2K/2K3, MCITP: SA/EA/EMA2010, CCNP Security, CNSS 4011/4013
    Quote Originally Posted by pml1 View Post
    I'm looking into starting a MS in InfoSec soon (hopefully this spring). My top choice would be Georgia Tech, but even with partial tuition reimbursement from my employer, I'm not going to be able to swing the nearly $40k for the program.

After that, the James Madison InfoSec MS program seems pretty solid also. It was one of the original NSA Centers of Academic Excellence. I actually applied to the program and was accepted a couple of years back, but I had to put grad school on hold for some life issues. The interaction I had with the staff and faculty during the process was very positive.

I'm trying to get into the best program that I can afford, so unless GA Tech offers me a scholarship or other assistance, I'll probably end up at JMU.
    The JMU program looks good. If I didn't already have some pretty ambitious plans, they also have an InfoSec MBA, but it is only 90% online, having to meet the first class of each course on campus. It is a $30k program.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by pml1 View Post
    You'll never know until you try. Try to get as high of a score on the GRE (I think that's what GA Tech takes) as you can and see what happens. Doesn't cost much to just apply.

Add University of Dallas and Brandeis to the list.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    And speaking of costs, there's an InfoSec grant you can get from the gubmint that pretty much covers all your tuition. It just requires that you work for the feds for so many years in return after you graduate.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE (2003), Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by Zartanasaurus View Post
    And speaking of costs, there's an InfoSec grant you can get from the gubmint that pretty much covers all your tuition. It just requires that you work for the feds for so many years in return after you graduate.
    Yeah, I think DHS and DoD both offer InfoSec scholarships. I certainly wouldn't mind they fed job after graduation, but I think they both require summer internships as well. I can't swing the internship, but any other TE readers who can should definitely check them out.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. DoWork

Certifications
    I really like the Carnegie Mellon MSIT with a concentration in ISA distance program. But the requirements to get into CMU are pretty high.

MSIT Application Process : Carnegie Mellon University's Heinz College
    http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/school-of-i...nce/index.aspx

Not to mention that it's a $57k degree. But you pretty much write you own ticket with a degree from there.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member

Certifications
    Security+
    I was just accepted to Boston University for their M.S in Computer Information Systems w/ a concentration in Security. So I'll see where that takes me.

I also applied to Nova Southeastern University and Regis University.

Regis University has a new MS in Information Assurance program that looked pretty solid.

veritas_libertas, best of luck.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. coffee all day everyday. nicklauscombs's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA: Security, JNCIA-FWV, JNCIA-SSL, MCP, A+, Network+, Security+, CNSS 4011
    Quote Originally Posted by powerfool View Post
    The JMU program looks good. If I didn't already have some pretty ambitious plans, they also have an InfoSec MBA, but it is only 90% online, having to meet the first class of each course on campus. It is a $30k program.
    hometown pride!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MS CS (studying)
    edit - didn't catch the "online" part..
    Last edited by TrainingDaze; 08-20-2010 at 05:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by QHalo View Post
    I really like the Carnegie Mellon MSIT with a concentration in ISA distance program. But the requirements to get into CMU are pretty high.
    Looks like the average GRE Quant score is only 620. I know on the GaTech page they recommended a 700. The 1000-word essay would be annoying.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. DoWork

Certifications
    I was going on the 3 letters of recommendation, the GRE/GMAT, and that annoying essay. Seems like a lot to get into a graduate school. I mean DePaul's Masters programs are pretty top notch as well and they don't even require a GRE/GMAT.

I'll look into the Georgia Tech program as well. If I'm going to drop dough on a Masters it's going to be from an amazing school no doubt. I think CMU fits that bill but my mind isn't made up just yet.

Edit: Looks like GT is pretty much the same requirements. They ask for 3 letters as well. Any idea what the tuition is looking like? I'm going to continue to dig on this.
    Last edited by QHalo; 08-21-2010 at 02:30 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE (2003), Security+
    Edit: Looks like GT is pretty much the same requirements. They ask for 3 letters as well. Any idea what the tuition is looking like? I'm going to continue to dig on this.
    Just over $1,000 per credit hour for 32 hours plus a $300 per semester fee. Ends up being around $37,000 if you take 6 hours a semester and then spend one semester on a 5 hour practicum.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. DoWork

Certifications
    CMU is $339 a unit but requires 144 units in their program. That brings the total just over $56k. DePaul's programs run in the upper $40k's so $37k is pretty cheap. Thanks for the quick response.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    This is what I found:

Office of the Bursar
    http://www.bursar.gatech.edu/student...0-all_fees.pdf
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. DoWork

Certifications
    Great thanks! I always forget to just look for the bursar's office.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks