+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 First 12345
  1. Are we having fun yet? UnixGuy's Avatar

Certifications
    GPEN, GCFA, eJPT, RHCE, Solaris 10, SNIA SCSP, Security+, Server+, ITILv3, CCNA (Expired)
    Quote Originally Posted by kurosaki00 View Post

^ That is the life of a lot of people on IT. Is it worth it? I'm 6 years into it and I'm not sure.
    you can always choose less stressful environments that requires less overtime/weekend. I've been in jobs that needs zero weekend/over time, they exist. Do one/two certs per year and viola!
    Goal: MBA, March 2020
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    C****, C***, C**
    If you are lucky and entrepreneurial, you may be able to find that job that pays well and allow you to watch youtube everyday.

As IrisTheAngel mentioned, there are IT jobs around where you have little to do. Just do not expect much in terms of pay and opportunities to learn, and if your job is ever made redundant you will difficulty looking for a new one. In some places, employers are complaining about IT talent shortage yet IT professionals have difficulties looking for jobs. Both groups are rights, employers are unable to find competent people with the correct skill sets and IT pros do not upgrade or do not have the right skillsets. With IT, you need to constantly upgrade yourself and gain new skills.

Back to reading tea leaves to predict that next wave after cyber security.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    Pentest+, CCNA Cyber Ops, COBIT5 Foundation, CySA+, CSSLP, CISM, CISSP-ISSMP, CEH, ITILv3 Foundations
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo Fantastico View Post
    ... You have to have a cell phone attached to your belt buckle and a bluetooth ear piece in case anyone has to know what TCP Port 563 does at a moment's notice. ...
    In case anyone was wondering TCP Port 563 was used for NNTP over SSL/TLS. I had to look it up, was driving me nuts.

Now to watch some Babylon 5 reruns.

P.S. Thumbs up for OP. Good story made me smile.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCP, MCDST, CCNSP, ITIL Foundation, working towards CCENT/CCNA
    Back to reading tea leaves to predict that next wave after cyber security. This x2

Great post by the way OP had me laughing far too much!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member
    I'm a new member here and trying to maybe get into IT and I find your post very plausible.

For me personally the way I see it is either get into IT, earn less money but basically sit on your ass all day or get a job as an electrician with my cousin making more money and bust your ass everyday for the next 20-30 years.

My cousin does commercial work and makes six figures and will retire early but he always wished he went to school and got an easy job dealing with stock trading.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. "Too many routers"? Heh. darkerz's Avatar

Certifications
    CCIE R&S, CCIE Security, Some SAN's Stuff
    I feel like this is a snow ball effect in IT, where the rolling doesn't get good until you are at a critical mass.

Let me explain...

After some many years of hard work, projects, studying, the works - countless certifications and seminars alike, at one point I stopped. That was 3 years ago, I just went to work and made it my goal to force myself on my day-to-day to pick up challenges. Not comfortable with it? Getting anxiety thinking about it? THAT's what I need to do.

The last 3 years have been the absolute best of my entire career development. The stages of my past were...

"I know everything"
    "I don't know what I don't know"

And now it is...

"I don't know anything and that's ok, lets figure it out".

Being good at figuring it out and leveraging good, previous experience in a way that maximizes your business or technology impact & scope is essential. Don't be a gear-head who configures, implements, deploys and fixes boxes. No. You want to be the architect, the solutions developer which can influence both technology and business decisions within an organization.

Actually, right around the time I stopped hanging out here, ironically, is when things really took off. Now at MSFT and have experienced and done things that books haven't been written about yet. It's all about landing in a place that empowers you to make bold claims, bold assumptions and to succeed - or fail, spectacularly. Either way, its always preferred to... some book and a home lab.

But, you won't be given the opportunity for that unless you have those books, certs and home labs under your belt Chicken and egg to IT happiness.
    Last edited by darkerz; 01-13-2017 at 05:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Pancakes and Lasagna kurosaki00's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, A+, Network+
    Quote Originally Posted by Iristheangel View Post
    what you are describing with working late, weekly changes, etc - Is it really IT that's not worth it or your current job? It sounds like your job might be the issue if you're not getting any sort of balance at ALL.
    It's hard to say. On my first IT job.. pretty young, almost no experience, my senior network admin did not want to be kept being called by the noc every night so like 2 weeks into this job I became the official 24/7 contact for network outages. I did such a good job, the systems team offered me a position. I became a Jr System admin, automatically became the after hours contact again. Guess what, for after hours, the network alarms process was, network admin, if don't pick up, jr system admin. So the same douche who threw me to on call duties 2 weeks in, constantly did not picked up the phone and I had to deal with issues. I reported him several times with higher ups and nothing ever happened.

Next job, not much to complain besides the amount of work vs pay. To this day is the biggest load of work I've seen in one place. 40-50 tickets easily per day.

Previous job, is the one I was talking about changes every week, sometimes 2-3 days of changes and on top of that 7 days of on call per month. The people were great, pay was decent. But to be working so much after normal hours and on top of that you were responsible of investing your personal time to better business/department processes, its just BS. Personal time severely reduced.
    I also got laid off a week before Xmas, no severance or anything. Business quotes restructuring change due economic hardships.

A month unemployed layer (very difficult to find a new job during holidays) I got a new job, so far is great, pay is very good. This may be the good one I've been trying to get.
    What I'm saying is, so far this "good" IT job does not exist. Sometimes the pay is worth it, but for what I've experienced, you sacrifice your personal time A LOT.
    There is a lot of potential but there is a lot of sacrifice in this field. And the location sometimes means everything (If not, move to PR and try to get an IT job right now).

PS I was unemployed when I wrote that previous msg, wasn't going through a very nice phase.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    CISSP, VCP-DCV, VCP-Cloud, CCNA Security
    I've had quite the opposite experience.

Quote Originally Posted by kurosaki00 View Post
    It's hard to say. On my first IT job.. pretty young, almost no experience, my senior network admin did not want to be kept being called by the noc every night so like 2 weeks into this job I became the official 24/7 contact for network outages. I did such a good job, the systems team offered me a position. I became a Jr System admin, automatically became the after hours contact again. Guess what, for after hours, the network alarms process was, network admin, if don't pick up, jr system admin. So the same douche who threw me to on call duties 2 weeks in, constantly did not picked up the phone and I had to deal with issues. I reported him several times with higher ups and nothing ever happened.

Next job, not much to complain besides the amount of work vs pay. To this day is the biggest load of work I've seen in one place. 40-50 tickets easily per day.

Previous job, is the one I was talking about changes every week, sometimes 2-3 days of changes and on top of that 7 days of on call per month. The people were great, pay was decent. But to be working so much after normal hours and on top of that you were responsible of investing your personal time to better business/department processes, its just BS. Personal time severely reduced.
    I also got laid off a week before Xmas, no severance or anything. Business quotes restructuring change due economic hardships.

A month unemployed layer (very difficult to find a new job during holidays) I got a new job, so far is great, pay is very good. This may be the good one I've been trying to get.
    What I'm saying is, so far this "good" IT job does not exist. Sometimes the pay is worth it, but for what I've experienced, you sacrifice your personal time A LOT.
    There is a lot of potential but there is a lot of sacrifice in this field. And the location sometimes means everything (If not, move to PR and try to get an IT job right now).

PS I was unemployed when I wrote that previous msg, wasn't going through a very nice phase.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA IT Fundamentals, CCENT, CCNA:R&S, JNCIA, BInfoTech
    Some sage advice in this thread. Not sure how I missed it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 First 12345

Social Networking & Bookmarks