+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. Senior Member redline5th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    117

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+
    #1

    Question Kindle, nook, iPad or android tablet for WGU?

    Hello all!

    It has been quite a while since I have posted here. Been extremely busy! I have been accepted into WGU and do not lack much completing a degree.

    Due to time constraints I need to be able to study on the go. Which would be best to allow me to study on the move?

    Kindle, nook, iPad, android tablet etc?

    I'm not sure if the ebooks they use can be imported into a kindle or not.

    I already have a MacBook pro, but would like something more portable.

    Let me know your thoughts! What has been a life saver for you?
    Reply With Quote Quote  


  2. Login/register to remove this advertisement.
  3. um yea i know some stuffs demonfurbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    1,788

    Certifications
    mct: 70-680, a+, network+, security+ (comptia tri-force) project+, ciw foundations, ciw javascript something
    #2
    i would say a 7in tablet if you plan on doing alot of reading on it, you can install kindle and nook app on a tablet and still read pdfs and load up text websites
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS Networking Management: done ... double woot
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    187

    Certifications
    B.S. CIS - MCSE, VCP, CCENT, A+, Linux+, Security+
    #3
    For dedicated reading, I say go with an e-reader. I'm partial to the kindle, I like Amazon's extensive library, I like using the kindle app across many platforms (The nook has this as well), and I enjoy the kindle reader itself. Reading on a tablet can only go so far before it's not pleasant due to eye strain. The other plus for Amazon is that they pretty much offer everything: mp3s, movies, app store, ebooks, electronics, etc.

    Regardless of which you choose; nook or kindle, I just think it's better overall to use a dedicated e-reader for books.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Passion For IT
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boardman, OR
    Posts
    322

    Certifications
    MCTS, MCITP, MCP, A+, Server+, Security+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA
    #4
    I use a Nook Color (rooted, of course, we're all geeks here). Works perfect. I'm looking to replace it with the newer Nook Tablet (dual core CPU, double RAM and storage) for the extra speed. Books are a joy to read on it. I can have my entire IT library with me to access anytime, anywhere.
    Dustin, PC509, Ur_Mom.... Man of many names!
    A+ | Net+ | Server+ | Security+ | Project+ | MCTS: 70-620 | MCTS: 70-680 | MCITP: 70-623 | MCP: 70-290 | CIW 1D0-520 | CCENT | CCNA | Working on Microsoft Server 2008 and SBS 2011 MCTS | 50% done WGU in IT: Security
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member redline5th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    117

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+
    #5
    Would a kindle suffice or do I need to access web apps and videos? Sounds like an android tablet is what I need. What do you guys think?

    Does the kindle suffice enough to study? Or does a majority of study happen on the web?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,425

    Certifications
    MCSE, MCSA, CNA, CCNA (expired), Project+, Linux+, CNE (expired), OCA MySQL 5, ITIL Foundation
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by redline5th View Post
    Would a kindle suffice or do I need to access web apps and videos? Sounds like an android tablet is what I need. What do you guys think?

    Does the kindle suffice enough to study? Or does a majority of study happen on the web?
    An Android tablet would do everything-- serve as a reader, let you check websites, view videos.

    Any cheap starter tablet should get you going, just bear in mind the cheaper ones will have lower battery life (and occasionally, lower resolution that will annoy on some websites). Think of it this way-- you can buy a better, more kickass tablet as your personal graduation present.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. um yea i know some stuffs demonfurbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    1,788

    Certifications
    mct: 70-680, a+, network+, security+ (comptia tri-force) project+, ciw foundations, ciw javascript something
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by redline5th View Post
    Would a kindle suffice or do I need to access web apps and videos? Sounds like an android tablet is what I need. What do you guys think?

    Does the kindle suffice enough to study? Or does a majority of study happen on the web?
    kindle is ok but some of the stuff youll want to do is on books 24/7 (also able to do on kindle but works better on a tab) and some is docs, pdfs, youtube videos, downloaded videos all of which cant be done on a kindle

    you can get the lenovo idea pad a1 for 199 atm with 16 gig (its on sale today)
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS Networking Management: done ... double woot
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Nothing clever to say
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    518

    Certifications
    MCTS: 70-642, AAS Net. Admin
    #8
    Like others have pointed out...the 7" would be better if you'll be taking it out of the house.

    Don't be partial to the brand as far as an e-reader goes. You can root them easily and have access the Amazon & B&N books.

    Around $200:
    Lenovo Ideapad A1
    Kindle Fire

    Around $250:
    Nook Tablet
    Archos G9 (8", more of a square screen than widescreen)

    Some things to point out that may be helpful down the road....I'm going by memory here, correct me if I'm wrong:

    Not all have GPS or Bluetooth. The Lenovo and Archos do, but the Nook and Fire do not.

    -The Lenovo is a single core
    -The Archos benchmarked better than the new galaxy 10.1" tab, take that as you will. Also, the Archos does not have Gorilla glass and does feel kinda cheap (My Boss has brought his in).

    Edit: Another thing to look at might be internal memory and the option to expand (SD/Micro SD). The Kindle Fire gives you cloud storage, but you'll need an internet connection.
    Last edited by Tackle; 11-08-2011 at 06:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    187

    Certifications
    B.S. CIS - MCSE, VCP, CCENT, A+, Linux+, Security+
    #9
    I completely reworded the OP question to suit my needs...for some reason I thought you were looking for something for ebooks specifically (I can't read). For your purposes I would recommend a tablet, I say iPad first and then Android. I actually prefer Android, but so many companies make apps for iPad before they get to Android that it may be better to go with the most supported platform...iOS.

    I hope Android tables begin to make a real dent in the market, but for the time being, the iPad seems to get all the nice apps first.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member chrisone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,167

    Certifications
    CCDP, CCNP R/S, CCNP Security (Secure, FW) , A.S. - Network Systems Administration
    #10
    I like the new Galaxy 7 plus Samsung tablet, due out november 16. However I dont like that you need a 2 year contract when you purchase it. That is just straight up lamo. I think a 7 inch tablet is the best fit and size. I didnt really like my ipad 1st gen. Bulky, slow, no camera, terrible for web viewing (no flash) and the supposably work around for flash are also lame.

    I like the Amazon fire, but it lacks bluetooth and cameras. however the price is very attractive.

    Is there anything else around 250 that is similar to the new Galaxy 7 plus?
    Samsung announces the 7-inch Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus | Android Central
    2K14 Cert Goals: F5 101/TMOS 201,CCNP Security - VPN/SIMOS, IPS/SITCS
    (Completed)(in progress)


    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member redline5th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    117

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+
    #11
    Love the idea of an iPad. However wouldn't the lack of flash kill me? Doesn't WGU require the use of flash? For videos and study materials?


    Edit... Keep in mind I want this for WGU... Need this for school. Looks like it's down to an iPad or Tablet. Will lack of flash hurt for WGU?
    Last edited by redline5th; 11-08-2011 at 06:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. um yea i know some stuffs demonfurbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    1,788

    Certifications
    mct: 70-680, a+, network+, security+ (comptia tri-force) project+, ciw foundations, ciw javascript something
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisone View Post
    I like the new Galaxy 7 plus Samsung tablet, due out november 16. However I dont like that you need a 2 year contract when you purchase it. That is just straight up lamo. I think a 7 inch tablet is the best fit and size. I didnt really like my ipad 1st gen. Bulky, slow, no camera, terrible for web viewing (no flash) and the supposably work around for flash are also lame.

    I like the Amazon fire, but it lacks bluetooth and cameras. however the price is very attractive.

    Is there anything else around 250 that is similar to the new Galaxy 7 plus?
    Samsung announces the 7-inch Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus | Android Central
    Newegg.com - Acer Iconia Tab A100-8GB Tablet NVIDIA Tegra 250 1.00GHz 7" 512MB DDR2 Memory 8GB Flash NVIDIA ULP GeForce

    its close to the 250 price but imo i wouldnt pay more than 250 for a 7in tab and that means picking what features i can live with out
    Last edited by demonfurbie; 11-08-2011 at 06:51 PM.
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS Networking Management: done ... double woot
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. um yea i know some stuffs demonfurbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    1,788

    Certifications
    mct: 70-680, a+, network+, security+ (comptia tri-force) project+, ciw foundations, ciw javascript something
    #13
    im almost done with wgu and havent run into flash being required

    how ever the ipad can get bulky when reading and im not sure how it would do on videos, then there is the price

    seeing as you already have a laptop the ipad isnt much more portable than what you already have
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS Networking Management: done ... double woot
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    67

    Certifications
    CompTIA Security+, A+, CIW Web Design Specialist
    #14
    I just went to Wally world and bought the following yesterday. Acer Iconia Tab A500-10S16W 10.1-inch Tablet ? Walmart.com So far I am having a blast on it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,415

    Certifications
    BSc (Hons) Computer Science, A+, Network+, DCSE, MCP, CCENT.
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by redline5th View Post
    Love the idea of an iPad. However wouldn't the lack of flash kill me? Doesn't WGU require the use of flash?
    Flash is slowly dying out. Within a year or two there won't be hardly any flash pages. I know a lot of web coders, they don't use flash anymore.
    2012/2013 Certification Goals:
    ICND1: Passed 3/17/2012
    ICND2: (TBA)
    CCNP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Senior Member chrisone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,167

    Certifications
    CCDP, CCNP R/S, CCNP Security (Secure, FW) , A.S. - Network Systems Administration
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC_Addy View Post
    Flash is slowly dying out. Within a year or two there won't be hardly any flash pages. I know a lot of web coders, they don't use flash anymore.
    Although this is the idea, i find it highly false to say in 1 to 2 years it will be phased out. That is like saying IPv4 will be completely replaced by IPv6 within a year or 2. I just dont see the two scenarios happening anytime soon.

    Also dont buy the ipad for flash IMO. I have had nothing but terrible web experiences with it.
    2K14 Cert Goals: F5 101/TMOS 201,CCNP Security - VPN/SIMOS, IPS/SITCS
    (Completed)(in progress)


    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Senior Member KrisA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Central Nebraska
    Posts
    142

    Certifications
    CCENT
    #17
    I am in the same boat. I have access to a Nook and have been using it as much as possible. I looked at the TSV1 book they offer and it is ( as far as I can tell ) not downloadable only access is 24/7. I do have Darril's book on the Nook, iPhone and on my desktop via the Kindle app and that will work for this particular class/cert but if everything is this way I think the tablet will be the way to go.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. um yea i know some stuffs demonfurbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    1,788

    Certifications
    mct: 70-680, a+, network+, security+ (comptia tri-force) project+, ciw foundations, ciw javascript something
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
    I am in the same boat. I have access to a Nook and have been using it as much as possible. I looked at the TSV1 book they offer and it is ( as far as I can tell ) not downloadable only access is 24/7. I do have Darril's book on the Nook, iPhone and on my desktop via the Kindle app and that will work for this particular class/cert but if everything is this way I think the tablet will be the way to go.
    is your nook rooted?

    if so goto

    http://mobile.skillport.books24x7.com/

    g
    roup code is wgu
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS Networking Management: done ... double woot
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Senior Member redline5th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    117

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+
    #19
    I called and spoke with an enrollment person today at WGU.

    Sounds as though there isn't really an official answer. He said there is some flash involved as far as the videos and what not, but he did say there was a special app for the iPad that we can use.

    So I guess the answer is that it doesn't matter or comes down to preference. If I am going to need to watch flash videos, then I would think that the Android would be a clear winner.

    Keep in mind I am buying this purely for WGU and that's pretty much about it. Historically I have always preferred apple. But this does not matter to me as I want this to function the best for WGU.

    You guys seem to lean more to the Android side of the fence. I do not care either way. As long as I can excel in my classes.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Senior Member KrisA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Central Nebraska
    Posts
    142

    Certifications
    CCENT
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by demonfurbie View Post
    is your nook rooted?

    if so goto

    http://mobile.skillport.books24x7.com/

    g
    roup code is wgu
    It is not, It is her's for her romantic novels. I able to use it when I want, and I think at this point I have more books on it than she does. I will look into rooting it, with permission of course.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,954
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisone View Post
    Although this is the idea, i find it highly false to say in 1 to 2 years it will be phased out. That is like saying IPv4 will be completely replaced by IPv6 within a year or 2. I just dont see the two scenarios happening anytime soon.
    Apples and oranges comparison. Changing over to a new video codec is pretty much along the lines of install a plugin. Changing out the core addressing structure of the internet backbone and all of the applications that depend on it, much more difficult prospect. Then there's the simple fact that with the ip6 changeover, there's presently no business demand that's driving the changeover. In terms of video codecs, you could say that there's a driving market force, and that market force is Apple. With the number of iOS devices that have already been sold, and will be sold in the coming years, content providers that rely solely on Flash to deliver their product are being absolutely dumb if they don't rethink their strategy. Depending solely on flash means choosing to miss out on a very large portion of the market.

    So unless Apple decides to change their mind and start supporting flash, or unless apple all of a sudden becomes irrelevant, I think Flash is on it's last legs.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Senior Member KrisA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Central Nebraska
    Posts
    142

    Certifications
    CCENT
    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken_GA View Post
    So unless Apple decides to change their mind and start supporting flash
    Wasn't Jobs the one behind not wanting to allow flash support?

    In reality I don't see why Apple has an issue with Flash. I am sure there are articles out there on the subject, but Adobe and Apple have become household names. It just seems logical for both parties to be on board to appeal to even MORE masses.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Senior Member chrisone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,167

    Certifications
    CCDP, CCNP R/S, CCNP Security (Secure, FW) , A.S. - Network Systems Administration
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken_GA View Post
    Apples and oranges comparison. Changing over to a new video codec is pretty much along the lines of install a plugin. Changing out the core addressing structure of the internet backbone and all of the applications that depend on it, much more difficult prospect. Then there's the simple fact that with the ip6 changeover, there's presently no business demand that's driving the changeover. In terms of video codecs, you could say that there's a driving market force, and that market force is Apple. With the number of iOS devices that have already been sold, and will be sold in the coming years, content providers that rely solely on Flash to deliver their product are being absolutely dumb if they don't rethink their strategy. Depending solely on flash means choosing to miss out on a very large portion of the market.

    So unless Apple decides to change their mind and start supporting flash, or unless apple all of a sudden becomes irrelevant, I think Flash is on it's last legs.
    Thanks for stating what i already mentioned. Flash is dying out but i am willing to bet you by the time iphone 5 and ipad 3 products are on the shelves the internet will still be 80% flash based. That is roughly 1-2 years from now...
    2K14 Cert Goals: F5 101/TMOS 201,CCNP Security - VPN/SIMOS, IPS/SITCS
    (Completed)(in progress)


    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Senior Member redline5th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    117

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+
    #24
    With the rise of HTML5, I would expect to see a decline of flash. I hate flash. But that's another conversation.

    Does anyone know if WGU uses flash for their activities? If they do I need to get an android tablet.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,954
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisone View Post
    Thanks for stating what i already mentioned. Flash is dying out but i am willing to bet you by the time iphone 5 and ipad 3 products are on the shelves the internet will still be 80% flash based. That is roughly 1-2 years from now...
    I'd take that bet. I think flash's demise will be much more rapid than that.

    I've been living without flash on my linux workstations for awhile now, and I'm starting to see more and more sites fall back to displaying video content in HTML5 if flash isn't available.

    And no, I didn't state what you already mentioned. You tried to compare the replacement of flash to that of the replacement of ipv4, which is ludicrous. The point you were trying to make is that you think flash will be a long time dying off. I disagree wholeheartedly. I think we're nearing a tipping point, and once it tips the other way, flash will go away very, very quickly.
    Last edited by Forsaken_GA; 11-09-2011 at 01:45 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks