+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: The 1U Olive

1. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP (R&S/Voice), CCDP, CCIP, VCP, NCDA, MCSE, CCNA Security
    Quote Originally Posted by andyh123 View Post
    I am having trouble getting the install completed, I do the FreeBSD install fine, plus the fs tweaks & the pkg_add, but when I put the drive back into the IP330 it comes up with "missing operating system". it booted the Nokia OS fine before & seems to be configured in BIOS to boot from the primary HDD. the drive is WD. I have tried continuing the install in the regular PC that I'm using for the FreeBSD install (one of my olive PC's) & this works fine

I have only tried one of the boxes so far, I will try the other tomorrow, but if anyone has any bright ideas, they would be much appreciated!
    I'm pretty sure the hard drive needs to be the primary device on the first controller when you installing FreeBSD, you might want to check that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    JNCIA-ER, CCNA, A+, Others: CCIE Written passed 6/2/10
    sorry if this is cluttering up the sticky thread, I can start a new thread if that would be better ...

I picked up a couple of IP330's off ebay (Ł0.99!) for oliveizing. I had the same problem with the console with a regular null-modem cable but fortunately they came with the correct cable

I am having trouble getting the install completed, I do the FreeBSD install fine, plus the fs tweaks & the pkg_add, but when I put the drive back into the IP330 it comes up with "missing operating system". it booted the Nokia OS fine before & seems to be configured in BIOS to boot from the primary HDD. the drive is WD. I have tried continuing the install in the regular PC that I'm using for the FreeBSD install (one of my olive PC's) & this works fine

I have only tried one of the boxes so far, I will try the other tomorrow, but if anyone has any bright ideas, they would be much appreciated!

many thanks

~andy
    No worries on using this thread. Personally, I'm fine with a "one thread repository" on this topic. (That was a sweet deal on the IP330, btw.)

Just to clarify:
    What FreeBSD version are you using?
    At what point exactly are you pulling the WD drive from the PC and placing into the IP330/Olive?
    What version of JUNOS are you trying to load?
    Does JUNOS load on your PC?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. be the packet/frame

Certifications
    CCNA CCIP CCNP, JNCIA-Junos
    Quote Originally Posted by seraphus View Post
    No worries on using this thread. Personally, I'm fine with a "one thread repository" on this topic. (That was a sweet deal on the IP330, btw.)

Just to clarify:
    What FreeBSD version are you using?
    At what point exactly are you pulling the WD drive from the PC and placing into the IP330/Olive?
    What version of JUNOS are you trying to load?
    Does JUNOS load on your PC?
    thanks for the response. the install does use the first device - the partitions/slices show up as ad0s1a, etc.

* FreeBSD 4.4 mini, completely vanilla install as per sidsmokes/packetmischief instructions

*I have tried pulling the drive at three points, none of which worked:
    - FreeBSD only installed
    - JunOS installed & not rebooted
    - JunOS installed & rebooted

* JunOS 5.6R3.4

* JunOS loads fine on my PC, using the same build instructions & versions as above

I did have a further play & installed FreeBSD with the FreeBSD bootloader. the IP330 does see the FreeBSD boot option on the drive, but doesn't seem to want to boot

I am going to try doing a native build on the IP330 - ie add a CD-ROM to teh IDE controller (maybe externally powered) & see whether I can build it from the console port. I have another IP330 that I haven't tried yet, so I will have a crack at that this week & report back
    Last edited by andyh123; 07-05-2010 at 10:25 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    thanks for the response. the install does use the first device - the partitions/slices show up as ad0s1a, etc.

* FreeBSD 4.4 mini, completely vanilla install as per sidsmokes/packetmischief instructions

*I have tried pulling the drive at three points, none of which worked:
    - FreeBSD only installed
    - JunOS installed & not rebooted
    - JunOS installed & rebooted

* JunOS 5.6R3.4

* JunOS loads fine on my PC, using the same build instructions & versions as above

I did have a further play & installed FreeBSD with the FreeBSD bootloader. the IP330 does see the FreeBSD boot option on the drive, but doesn't seem to want to boot

I am going to try doing a native build on the IP330 - ie add a CD-ROM to teh IDE controller (maybe externally powered) & see whether I can build it from the console port. I have another IP330 that I haven't tried yet, so I will have a crack at that this week & report back
    I never needed to do a native build on the IP330, actually.

If JUNOS loads on your PC Olive, it "should" load on your IP330 Olive, assuming your IP330s are spec'd out like mine are and the JUNOS version is lower than 9.x. (My IP330s can't load above 9.x as they only have 256MB of RAM).

The IP330s I used needed no further adjustments other than installing the physical hard drive (Western Digital) that contained JUNOS. IOW, once I loaded JUNOS onto that drive using the Olive PC, I could transfer that drive to the IP330 Olive.

Other than the specs, the only other thing I can think of at this time is the version of JUNOS. That's more of a wild guess at this point. I initially install 7.4R1.7 then upgrade from there. I run 8.4R1.13 on all four of my IP330s currently.

I would try adding the known working WD hard drive (that is, the drive with JUNOS) to the other IP330 before attempting a native build.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. be the packet/frame

Certifications
    CCNA CCIP CCNP, JNCIA-Junos
    w00t! it's working. I swapped the HDD from my Olive PC into the IP330 & it worked fine. I swapped the WD drive into the Olive PC & that works fine too, not suprisingly since I did the build on it with that machine in the first place. weird, must just be some drive oddness. thanks for the help, much appreciated

just to add something useful to the thread, my IP330's each came with a 2xFE expansion card. I was rather hoping that I might get a 5xFE Olive, but sadly they don't show up as fxp's they show up in the original Nokia OS boot sequence as tulip's
    Last edited by andyh123; 07-07-2010 at 05:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    w00t! it's working. I swapped the HDD from my Olive PC into the IP330 & it worked fine. I swapped the WD drive into the Olive PC & that works fine too, not suprisingly since I did the build on it with that machine in the first place. weird, must just be some drive oddness. thanks for the help, much appreciated

just to add something useful to the thread, my IP330's each came with a 2xFE expansion card. I was rather hoping that I might get a 5xFE Olive, but sadly they don't show up as fxp's they show up in the original Nokia OS boot sequence as tulip's

Awesome!!!!

Good info on the 2xFE expansion cards.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCIE 38070, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIP-SP, BCNE, BCSPNE
    I'm trying to get this working.

I managed to get 4 IP330's off ebay quite cheaply. I've also got a null modem cable.

I've taked the WD hard drive out and stuck it in my PC. I initially had BTX halted issues, but I've put the hard drive in a much older PC and so far so good.

The main issue is when I connect the null modem cable to the IP330. All I see is 'AT' and nothing else. I've made sure the emulation is VT100, but no dice.

Does anyone know what the issue is?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    CC(NA-IP-NP), JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-ENT, BCNE
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowd View Post
    I'm trying to get this working.

I managed to get 4 IP330's off ebay quite cheaply. I've also got a null modem cable.

I've taked the WD hard drive out and stuck it in my PC. I initially had BTX halted issues, but I've put the hard drive in a much older PC and so far so good.

The main issue is when I connect the null modem cable to the IP330. All I see is 'AT' and nothing else. I've made sure the emulation is VT100, but no dice.

Does anyone know what the issue is?
    Yeah I'm getting the same problem. If I connect the drive up to a PC, i can console in, move the cable over to the 330, and I get the AT problem.

I'm guessing its a pin-out issue or a bios issue, but I just can't diagnose it until I get some new cables myself
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A few
    Is it possible to upgrade the RAM to 512MB? I found some 512MB sticks for about 7 bucks and have been searching around everywhere but can't find an answer.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    A Few....
    Is anyone using a USB-to-Serial cable t console into their Olive? I'm running a Nokia IP 330 and I can console in from a windows machine with a normal 9-pin female to female console cable. My problem is I don't have a windows machine (or any machine) that has a null modem connection. So, I'm forced to use the USB-to-serial adapter. The adapter works fine when I console into my Cisco gear (using either Mac OS X or Ubuntu). When I try to access the Olive, I'm getting a blank screen on my console. Any suggestions and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Peanut
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member

Certifications
    I've managed to get this working, and it's pretty awesome.

However, I upgraded to 8.5 and now it won't boot. I do have 256MB ram so I know it's not that.

Rather I am seeing this on startup:

Code:
    Booting [/kernel]...
    Olive CPU
    GDB: debug ports: sio
    GDB: current port: sio
    KDB: debugger backends: ddb gdb
    KDB: current backend: ddb
    Copyright (c) 1996-2008, Juniper Networks, Inc.
    All rights reserved.
    Copyright (c) 1992-2006 The FreeBSD Project.
    Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
            The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
    JUNOS 8.5R2.10 #0: 2008-02-06 08:20:23 UTC
        builder@rahu.juniper.net:/volume/build/junos/8.5/release/8.5R2.10/obj-i386/sys/compile/JUNIPER
    Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
    CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (Unknown-class CPU)
      Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x58c  Stepping = 12
      Features=0x8021bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,PGE,MMX>
      AMD Features=0x80000800<SYSCALL,3DNow>
    panic: CPU class not configured
    For some reason, the kernel is not seeing my CPU class. When I booted Junos7.1 I saw this:
    Code:
    CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (267.27-MHz 586-class CPU)
      Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x58c  Stepping = 12
      Features=0x8021bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,PGE,MMX>
      AMD Features=0x80000800<SYSCALL,3DNow!>
    real memory  = 268435456 (262144K bytes)
    It's exactly the same box. Did Juniper remove something from the kernel that prevented it from seeing this CPU?

Has anyone got any version of 8.x/9.x or 10.x working on these boxes?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. was here.
    It's exactly the same box. Did Juniper remove something from the kernel that prevented it from seeing this CPU?
    Somewhere in JunOS 7.x they started to require a Pentium II class CPU or better which your K6 isn't.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by tiersten View Post
    Somewhere in JunOS 7.x they started to require a Pentium II class CPU or better which your K6 isn't.

That's what I thought, but seraphus seems to have 8.3 running on his 1U olive?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. was here.
    That's what I thought, but seraphus seems to have 8.3 running on his 1U olive?
    Hmm. What FreeBSD are you using and did you do the upgrade process or start from scratch?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by tiersten View Post
    Hmm. What FreeBSD are you using and did you do the upgrade process or start from scratch?
    Installed 4.4 mini - then installed JUNOS 7.1 - then upgraded to JUNOS 8.5 - once rebooted no longer started
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member Registered Member
    nice post! thanks!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    CCNP,CCNA
    I have some highend crossbeams at home I picked up for very very cheap. I wondered about trying to use these as some kind of blade olive. This seems like a much better idea since I have existing Cisco infrastructure this would work perfectly with. Cheers!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Junior Member
    The hardest part is to get the JunOS image
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP ROUTE
    Got mine up and running on 7.3R3.6 but for some reason I cannot get physical layer up. No activity.
    Last edited by rsty; 01-12-2014 at 03:30 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    Juniper/Cisco/CompTIA Gandam
    Did you use a ftp server to load up the junos image?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member wintermute000's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNP Voice, CCNP Security, CCDP
    With vsrx why are you guys bothering? Genuinely curious
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks