Certifications
    Comptia A+ / LPIC-1
    Glad that others will get some use out of it
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, SSCP, Bachelor of Business (MIS), BA, Graduate Diploma Networking
    Quote Originally Posted by brownwrap View Post
    I tried your link, but the site seems to be down.
    Nay, the site is up; it's probably your friendly NSA neighborhood being anti-Linux!
    Last edited by binarysoul; 05-20-2014 at 05:13 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, Linux +, Security+, Project +, MTA-361 C#, 3 CIW 's, CCNA, CCNA Security
    Just passed the 101 today. I used WGU's Test out and Fedora 20. I will say this, the installation and usage of VMware is the best way to retain information for 101. Testout was nice, but extremely overbearing. Dive into Linux and swim in it during the course of your studies. Though not a pro, I believe with continual home usage, Linux will become second nature.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member
    thank you, Magnum, and great job!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, Linux +, Security+, Project +, MTA-361 C#, 3 CIW 's, CCNA, CCNA Security
    Very welcome and Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Windows 7
    In my career I've generally encountered two types of folks who say certifications are worthless. The first are people who tend to be older and have worked in technology for decades and already were experienced before certifications came along and thus didn't see any career benefit in getting certified on knowledge they already had the resume to prove they had. As time goes on there are fewer and fewer of those in the work force. The second group tends to be people too lazy to put forth the time and effort to get certified and feel the need to diminish the achievements of those more ambitious than themselves.

I've known and worked with a lot of people in IT who had been doing IT for more than a decade and weren't certified. Everything they learned was on the job and while they were competent at what they knew their rate of gaining new knowledge was low because they didn't do independent study. Their careers stagnated as a result. If you just want to live paycheck to paycheck and be among the first on the chopping block in a downsizing then be one of those people who think they are either too good or don't have the time to do certifications. I've also seen people enter fresh into IT with zero experience and they studied consistently for a few hours every night for several years. In a matter of a few years they were earning a six figure salary. Sure the experience they gained along the way was important but what distinguished them from their peers who had much more on the job time was the time and effort they put in studying and getting certified. It matters in any field but in IT it is vital. As soon as you gain some knowledge a clock is ticking for how long that knowledge will remain marketable. In this field you're either learning and making yourself more valuable or you are on a path toward obsolescence.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks