+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Linux software

Somewhere in the Pacific NW, cops are still looking for me.

Certifications
    Private Pilot, SCUBA

Default Linux software

I have very little time with Linux, but its a cert I need for WGU. I have an extra laptop I would like to install it on and learn on while I study for the test.

What version would you recommend for exam prep.

-Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A+, VCA-DCV, Linux+/LPIC-1, AWS CSA, AWS Dev, AWS SysOps, Project+ [Expired: Net+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA]
    I'm currently using CentOS 7 as my primary OS and like it. I think that, with a Ubuntu/Mint VM would probably suffice for the Linux+. (Granted, I haven't taken the Linux+ myself.)
    Goals for 2017:
    RHCSA, RHCE, LFCS: Ubuntu | Project+ | AWS Certified DevOps Engineer | Learn Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, Golang | Improve Python Programming
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    Linux+, RHCSA (RHEL 7)
    For the Linux+, unless they've revised the materials in the last year, study from CentOS 6 and Debian. CentOS 7 (and other EL 7 variants) are using Systemd/Journald and have other changes that are significantly different from the older systems that Linux+ still tests knowledge of.

You'll need practice with RPM/YUM and DEB/APT package installation systems, so it is best to work off of both. If you have a computer with enough resources, install a desktop virtualization platform like VirtualBox and run a VM of CentOS 6 and one of Debian.
    Last edited by mikeybikes; 12-11-2014 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Typo
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeybikes View Post
    For the Linux+, unless they've revised the materials in the last year, study from CentOS 6 and Debian. CentOS 7 (and other EL 7 variants) are using Systemd/Journald and have other changes that are significantly different from the older systems that Linux+ still tests knowledge of.

You'll need practice with RPM/YUM and DEB/APT package installation systems, so it is best to work off of both. If you have a computer with enough resources, install a desktop visualization platform like VirtualBox and run a VM of CentOS 6 and one of Debian.
    I second this motion. If you use CentOS 7 for Linux + studying, you will set yourself up for failure.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks