What CBTs are you using?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCP, Security+, MCTS (70-640)
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxarco View Post
    good job a pass is a pass!
    I'm about 50% of way through the Linux Academy course. I've been hitting about 80% on each section's quiz.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. this is my clone

Certifications
    CISSP, GSEC, GCIH, MCSE, MCTS, ITIL-F, A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, Project+, ACE, CCNA R&S
    Started on 102. Attempting to leverage TestOut and the Sybex book (the book is so terribly dry though, it's difficult to focus and actually absorb the information). I renewed my LinuxAcademy subscription for another month, goal is to have this knocked out in 30 days or less. Perhaps a bit ambitious, but I really need to get moving on this.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Nice. That's how I feel about the 101. Hopefully I can get it knocked out soon. It's to hard with an 18-month old at home.
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 01-02-2015 at 08:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. this is my clone

Certifications
    CISSP, GSEC, GCIH, MCSE, MCTS, ITIL-F, A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, Project+, ACE, CCNA R&S

I can respect that; I'm getting my schooling done before the wife and I start our family. I have a Belgian Malinois that is like a toddler though, she's about a year and a half old
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 01-02-2015 at 08:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member

let me add my pet rock takes a lot of maintenance!
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 01-02-2015 at 08:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ekurity View Post
    I can respect that; I'm getting my schooling done before the wife and I start our family. I have a Belgian Malinois that is like a toddler though, she's about a year and a half old
    lol yea I know what ya mean. I have a yorkshire terrier...her and my son fight like brother and sister.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. this is my clone

Certifications
    So I have been trying to follow along with the TestOut videos, but I've been tending to lose interest with them after a little while. Working through LinuxAcademy, and actually starting at the bottom (user interfaces & desktop) because that's the most boring section, IMO. Hoping to get my least favorite stuff knocked out first, then be able to breeze through the networking / security stuff. Still attempting to work on my 30 day goal...but some of this stuff is just so numbing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT - Sec, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, AWS CSA Associate, CCENT, A+, Net+, Sec+, Proj+, Lin+, LPIC-1, CIW: WFA, CIW: WDS, MTA: OS, MCP
    I started on this about 2 weeks ago. Probably going to study for another week and then take LX0-101.

I've been using the Sybex book which I have to say is pretty awful haha. Tends to jump around a lot and doesn't build that gradually. I've also read The Linux Command Line by William E. Shotts Jr. which is actually really awesome, but somewhat off topic for the Linux+ objectives.

Do a lot of you guys have previous backgrounds in Linux or is this essentially new to you?
    2017 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA (Complete), OSCP (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress)
    2017 Reading Goals: Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide (Completed), Automate the Boring Stuff with Python (In Progress)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    Security+, HBSS, Oracle Solaris 10 Administration, Linux+
    I have lots of experience in Linux and Unix, but over the years have settled into using the same commands and switches. My problems is memorizing all of the additional switches and using things I have never been exposed to. For example we use volumes, but never have I had to extend or reduce a volume size. Just get more space has always been the solution.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member
    I am on the last cbt and section that goes over gpg encryption. I installed ubuntu lts ver 14.04, on a physical machine. my steps I used unetbootin this made the process extremely easy, I booted from my thumb drive ran a menu driven install, I took the dual boot option, I am using grub (the iso download was the longest process) I was on the d/t in no time. Are you guys pure linux? anybody using wine to integrate some exe programs? how about security anti-virus, I am researching it says "linux" really does not need an antivirus, I am still thinking of installing one.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Objectives my friend! varelg's Avatar

Certifications
    RHCSA
    Yes, this is reasonable time frame in which to prepare for both exams. Someone mentioned joined virtual labs, how r u guys going about doing it?
    I have the same time frame set up for my LPIC 2 studies.
    Having questions about LILO isn't fair, even GRUB got an upgrade. So now LILO is a boot loader two generations ago and what are the chances of encountering it out there and being required to troubleshoot it from the top of your head?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member
    I mentioned the virtual labs, I was thinking the hands on can be setup ssh, dns, etc or any other configurations we need to know for the exams.
    I have a ubuntu vm, I am thinking for the desktop show and share team viewer or something unless you guys can recommend something better to show and share desktop.
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 01-02-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: fixed quote problem
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCP| MCTS| MCITP| MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2| MCSA Windows 7| ITIL v3 Foundations| CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician| Security+
    Starting my studying for LPIC 1 next Sunday, and got my account started at Linux academy today.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    Linuxarco, what CBTs are you using? I missed that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member
    sorry cbtnuggets I finished and it was very good, the virtual instructor and the walk throughs are exactly what I needed, now t I need more. A small beginners project or something would be good, is LinuxAcademy good? I looked over their linux training course looks challenging it has labs and quizzes etc.
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 01-02-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: fixed quote problem (again)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. this is my clone

Certifications
    The labs are ok, as are the quizzes. I really like the shorter videos (usually < 10 minutes, though some can be upwards of 20 minutes) as well as the ability to spin up virtual Linux environments in a matter of moments.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    I have a project, it ain't short though:

LFS Project Homepage

I like to promote this project. It is a great learning tool. I completed LFS twice and then moved on to Beyond Linux From Scratch. The first time I didn't get KDE to work, the 2nd time I did. It is basically build you own distribution. I wrote about it on my blog. It is basically the foundation of what I do day to day. Right now our YUM repo its working, and someone asked for g++. I had built gcc a while ago, which g++. I was able to suplly the user with what he needed, all from what I learned building Linux From Scratch. I have built tons of software on this job and installed it. All from the methods I learned in building LFS.

LinuxFromScratch
    brownwrap
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. this is my clone

Certifications
    Took some time to work on the studies over the holiday, ended up knocking out the SQL, System Logging (syslog / rsyslog) and Mail Transfer Agent material. All of it was pretty straightforward, no real surprises - most of it was refresher / review. Goal for today is to knock out Bash Shell Customization and Bash Scripting / Automation - figuring I will get some of the longer material knocked out now so that way I can coast through some of the other stuff as it pertains to networking / security / printing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. this is my clone

Certifications
    So running a little behind on the scripting, but if you've done any entry level programming, then the scripting in Linux should just be a refesher. Bash Shell customization was pretty easy and straightforward as well, just knowing how to configure bash shell login / logout commands, modifying the command prompt display, and colors.

Goal for today: Accessibility, Localization and CRON/Automation
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Junior Member
    I got the linux academy, its good, its online, priced right, it has various linux distros that you can ssh to, video lectures, labs, and quizzes. The thing with linux its not hard its command line driven.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. this is my clone

Certifications
    Had some things come up yesterday, so had to hold off on CRON until today. Accessibility is really easy, knowing where to go to locate the accessibility features and how they work. Localization has to do with time zones and language settings, such as knowing how to edit environment variables to change either/or, using the locale command to see available locales / character maps, etc. CRON was just knowing how to schedule jobs (user / system level) as well as one time jobs with AT, and restricting who can schedule CRON / AT jobs.

Goal for today: Linux Date and Time, since it's New Years Eve.

Looking to be completed with the LinuxAcademy videos / notes by end of the week, review some topics in the book next week, and do some practice exams before I schedule 102.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT - Sec, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, AWS CSA Associate, CCENT, A+, Net+, Sec+, Proj+, Lin+, LPIC-1, CIW: WFA, CIW: WDS, MTA: OS, MCP
    Happy New Years! Have to say as someone with no background in Linux, this has actually been fairly difficult. I'm getting close though and feeling really motivated lately. (Maybe it's the thought of the new year ) 88-90%'s on WGU's pretests for LX0-101. I should have the voucher by the end of this week, hopefully testing and passing sometime before Monday.

The official Linux+ study guide has started to grow on me haha. Still not a huge fan, but I've found a lot of uses for it as a reference.

5ekurity you're a workhorse man! I like how you split things up on a day to day basis and review progress regularly. I'm going to try implementing some of that into my own habits. I tend to review/study for 7-8 hours in a day then do nothing for 2-3 days. I'd rather get something more consistent going.
    2017 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA (Complete), OSCP (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress)
    2017 Reading Goals: Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide (Completed), Automate the Boring Stuff with Python (In Progress)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. ProEthicalHacker.com fuz1on's Avatar
    silicon valley, where we speak that bay area slang

Certifications
    CCNA CCENT ITIL SSCA SSVVP WSQD WSQI Cloud+ Mobility+ Security+ Linux+ Network+ Server+ Project+ A+ HIT LPIC-1 CLA11 ACE ace/PACA SSBBP SSLP CMS SCP
    I'm taking this soon too (and the LFCE). I've been using the Sybex book and various training videos. I have good experience but I know I get lazy with "autocomplete" and "--help". Good luck everyone!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications

fuz1on, are you taking LFCE (Engineer) or Admin?
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 01-02-2015 at 08:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 First 12 3456 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks