+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 First 123 4567 Last
  1. this is my clone

Certifications
    CISSP, GSEC, GCIH, MCSE, MCTS, ITIL-F, A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, Project+, ACE, CCNA R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by aderon View Post
    5ekurity you're a workhorse man! I like how you split things up on a day to day basis and review progress regularly. I'm going to try implementing some of that into my own habits. I tend to review/study for 7-8 hours in a day then do nothing for 2-3 days. I'd rather get something more consistent going.
    Haha..thanks aderon, I am taking this via WGU also with the goal of completing my bachelor's degree in 2015 so I'm very determined to get this done. Posting my daily goals on here has helped to keep me consistent and honest with my studies. I was in the same pattern as you for 101 re: study a lot one day, then nothing for 2-3 days, and it just kept pushing back the completion date i had set for myself. I've found it much more easy to manage to just set realistic / achievable goals each day and be consistent with the studies. Outside of the WGU curriculum, I also have some SANS training in 2015 and will likely be sitting for the CISSP-ISSAP, so I have a lot of work to do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. this is my clone

Certifications
    CISSP, GSEC, GCIH, MCSE, MCTS, ITIL-F, A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, Project+, ACE, CCNA R&S
    Took care of the Date/Time topics on 12/31, biggest takeaway from this was NTP - what it is, how it works, commands to sync your BIOS time w/ OS time. The rest was closely related to the topics already reviewed in Localization.

Goal for today: In Depth User & Group Management, Linux Networking, and Linux Security.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    Security+, HBSS, Oracle Solaris 10 Administration, Linux+
    It has been a long time since I took a Pearson Vue test. Do they have scratch paper there in the room? I ask because in order for me to compute umask settings I need to convert to binary and 'and' the settings. I can't do that in my head.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. this is my clone

Certifications
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

They give you a dry erase board / pad that you can put whatever you want to on there.
    Last edited by Plantwiz; 01-02-2015 at 08:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

silicon valley, where we speak that bay area slang

Certifications
    CCNA CCENT ITIL SSCA SSVVP WSQD WSQI Cloud+ Mobility+ Security+ Linux+ Network+ Server+ Project+ A+ HIT LPIC-1 CLA11 ACE ace/PACA SSBBP SSLP CMS SCP
    Quote Originally Posted by brownwrap View Post
    fuz1on, are you taking LFCE (Engineer) or Admin?

LFCE (Engineer). I bought a voucher for this exam first. Then I saw the 5-in-1 deal (or at least 3-in-1) so I had to sign up since all CompTIA exams went up in price yesterday. $277 for each exam now. YUCK!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    I have signed up for Admin, but I need Linux+ for my job. So I need to get that out of the way first. Engineer is going to be harder, and neither one is recognized by the DOD. I told the Linux Foundation they should try and get on the approved list of DOD certs. They thought that list was only for security certs.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    One last question. I read on the Pearson email that I was sent you need two picture IDs with a signature. I have my driver's license with my signature on it, but that's it. I have a US Government issued ID, but it doesn't have my signature on it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. this is my clone

Certifications
    I always use my drivers license and credit card with signature and have never had a problem.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ekurity View Post
    I always use my drivers license and credit card with signature and have never had a problem.
    Oh wow, didn't think of a credit card as an ID.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. this is my clone

Certifications
    Yeah so long as it's signed and presented with your drivers license, that will classify as the two forms of necessary ID.

Got the User/Group Management, Networking and Security all taken care of. Again, nothing really groundbreaking here - although LinuxAcademy goes over IPTraf and I've never seen or heard anyone talk about this tool before (the preference of course being Wireshark). Anyway, only three more modules to go - Printing, Host Security and SSH / Secure Access. Started on the printing tonight, should have that and the other two modules completed tomorrow. Then it's back to the Sybex Linux+ book to just review a few things, then practice test. If I could sit for this test by the end of the week, that would be about a week ahead of my 'schedule'.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT - Sec, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, AWS CSA Associate, CCENT, A+, Net+, Sec+, Proj+, Lin+, LPIC-1, CIW: WFA, CIW: WDS, MTA: OS, MCP
    So I haven't tested yet, but my voucher request has been submitted to WGU. I should be able to take LX0-101 sometime this week. Wish me luck!
    2017 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA (Complete), OSCP (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress)
    2017 Reading Goals: Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide (Completed), Automate the Boring Stuff with Python (In Progress)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. this is my clone

Certifications
    Good luck, and post results!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. ProEthicalHacker.com fuz1on's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA CCENT ITIL SSCA SSVVP WSQD WSQI Cloud+ Mobility+ Security+ Linux+ Network+ Server+ Project+ A+ HIT LPIC-1 CLA11 ACE ace/PACA SSBBP SSLP CMS SCP
    Kick butt!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. this is my clone

Certifications
    LinuxAcademy videos are done as of yesterday! (Got hit with a cold, so took a little longer)

Moving on to the Sybex book to review some things, but overall I feel that this has gone a lot more smoothly than 101. I'll be getting the test prep software from SelfTestSoftware this evening, and I should be ready to sit for the exam next week.

I think a key differentiation between 101 and 102 is that 102 has less variation between command line options and configurations than 101, so it's a lot more straightforward. While the programs, config files, etc. referenced in 102 might not always be used, it seems that their usage is standard across distributions (or at least a lot more than programs / config files in 101). Ex. in 101, you had to know the difference between YUM, APT-GET, RPM, DPKG and all the options. In 102, there is primarily one way to write SQL statements - one way to configure SSH agents, etc.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, ITIL-F, LPIC-1, AWS-Sysops, AWS-CSA
    I personally found the 102 easier due to what 5ekurity has mentioned. Scope of 101 is wide whereas 102 goes deep.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    Network+, CCNA,CCNP ROUTE
    Been wanting to get into linux for quite sometime now . I think this will be the best place for me to start my journey and remain motivated. (I hope its not too late to join in )Am completely new to linux and will be starting from scratch.

From what I gather from the thread so far, cbt nuggets , Sybex study guide and linux academy are the best materials for study. Will get them soon and get right down to business. I hope to posts daily so i keep up the pace. Hopefully in 3 to 4 months , I should be linux certified.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. ProEthicalHacker.com fuz1on's Avatar

Certifications
    Free Udemy Linux-themed courses: https://www.udemy.com/topic/linux-vi...free&view=list

Also, LOTS of top courses - including Linux Academy/Infinite Skills - for $10 bucks right now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT - Sec, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, AWS CSA Associate, CCENT, A+, Net+, Sec+, Proj+, Lin+, LPIC-1, CIW: WFA, CIW: WDS, MTA: OS, MCP
    I passed LX0-101 today! Score of 580. Not the best, but to go from no knowledge to a pass in 30 days felt pretty good . I'll probably be taking a day off and then on Monday start up again for LX0-102.

To anyone studying for LX0-101, use flashcards. I used all the commands on my test system, but there's just so many options that it's hard to memorize them all without flash carding. Other than that, it's not an incredibly hard test, just put the work in and show up and you should be fine.
    2017 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA (Complete), OSCP (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress)
    2017 Reading Goals: Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide (Completed), Automate the Boring Stuff with Python (In Progress)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. ProEthicalHacker.com fuz1on's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by aderon View Post
    I passed LX0-101 today! Score of 580. Not the best, but to go from no knowledge to a pass in 30 days felt pretty good . I'll probably be taking a day off and then on Monday start up again for LX0-102.
    Congrats! A pass is a pass!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ITILv3, MCSA:Server 2012, MCSA:Win7, MCITP, MCTS, MTA:SA, MCP, CTS, VCA-WM, LPIC-1, SCLA, SUSE-TS, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Server+
    Good luck to all of you! This website is very helpful for motivation and information.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. ProEthicalHacker.com fuz1on's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddws View Post
    Good luck to all of you! This website is very helpful for motivation and information.
    Mos def...I probably lurked mooching on the free/discounted exams section - off and on - for a couple years before joining.

The motivation part is really a critical factor for many IT professionals - I, myself, am sort of an introvert so this site has helped me immensely.
    Last edited by fuz1on; 01-11-2015 at 05:29 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Junior Member
    question, for those who have been doing command line linux/unix for many years, when you first started out did you type out all the short syntax then tab (auto-complete) the long syntax then start tabbing just about everything you can tab. whats your choice for editing vi, vim, nano etc?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    I use vi as an editor. I worked with one guy who would not do a think on a system unless it had Emacs. vi is always there in case you boot to a system and have to rescue it. I started out using csh and in those days we didn't have auto completion. My biggest change was going from a VAX/VMS system where 'dir' was similar to what I'd seen in windows, to 'ls' which meant nothing to me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. this is my clone

Certifications
    aderon, congrats on the pass! One more to go now!

I'll likely be sitting for 102 this Friday - been working on practice exams and polishing up a few things with my notes and some of the areas that were only lightly touched in the Sybex or Linux Academy material. Should have some good news by the end of the week!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    So I've finished studying for 1 of the 6 domains for LX0-102 and stated on the second domain. The plan is to get the second domain done by tomorrow and then start on the third domain on Saturday.

I haven't really given myself a definitive overall time frame, but I'm hoping that I'll be ready in another 1.5-2 weeks.

And good luck tomorrow 5ecurity! Make sure you come back tomorrow and tell us all about it!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 First 123 4567 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks