+ Reply to Thread
  1. Member

Certifications
    WGU BS: IT Security, CCNA (R+S, S), Linux+, LPIC-1, Project+, CDIA+, S+,N+, A+, CIW, MTA

Default access files question

Hey, so I've passed the L+ and remember from my studies that it is useless to use hosts.allow and hosts.deny both on the same system. But I was recently challenged on that and can't seem to find anything that actually says "If you use hosts.allow then hosts.deny will not be checked". So my question is, can someone point me towards the material that says this? Or did I make this up in my head?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. Senior Member

Certifications
    Security+, HBSS, Oracle Solaris 10 Administration, Linux+
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled3lf View Post
    Hey, so I've passed the L+ and remember from my studies that it is useless to use hosts.allow and hosts.deny both on the same system. But I was recently challenged on that and can't seem to find anything that actually says "If you use hosts.allow then hosts.deny will not be checked". So my question is, can someone point me towards the material that says this? Or did I make this up in my head?
    This is out hosts.deny:

ALL:ALL

So by default all hosts are denied everything. Only the hosts listed in hosts.allow will have access to applications. If you are using IPTables that can further deny ports and protocols.

This link explains what I tried to say:

http://its.virginia.edu/unixsys/sec/hosts.html
    Last edited by brownwrap; 12-15-2014 at 04:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks