+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... Last

Thread: Linux+ with WGU

1. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS: Information Security, CISSP, GCIH, CEH, CHFI, CCNA: S, CCNA: R&S, VCP6-DTM, Linux+, Project+, VCA6-DCV

Default Linux+ with WGU

Just getting some advice on the Linux+ courses I'm taking through WGU. The materials they have is the LabSim through Testout and the Sybex book. What I'm doing now is going through DansCourses.com | Computer Networking Classes Taught by Dan Alberghetti and referencing the LabSim when it says to do so. Any fill in the blanks, I reference the book (which I haven't used yet since this is my first week studying). Is this good enough to absorb this knowledge and pass the exams also? I'm a complete newbie to Linux but my goal is to pass the first exam this month and the second one in March studying/labbing a few hours a day.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CISSP, ITIL v3 Foundations, Security+, Linux+, Cloud+, Server+, Project+, Network+, A+, CSA+, CCENT
    Cybrary.it just came out with a free linux+ course they may interest you, I can't speak to the question you asked, as I have well over 5 Years of linux exposure and daily usage and could likely pass the exams without much issue. I'm reading through the Sybex book and plan to take the Linux+ in a week or two.

Free CompTIA Linux+ Certification Training Class from Cybrary

H3||scr3am
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Quote Originally Posted by H3||scr3am View Post
    Is it safe to say that this is based on the 2015 requirements?
    2017 Goals: CCNA R&S
    Certifications:
    A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Lab: 3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620Router with NM-32A module
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, ITIL v3 Foundations, Security+, Linux+, Cloud+, Server+, Project+, Network+, A+, CSA+, CCENT
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnyderu2 View Post
    Is it safe to say that this is based on the 2015 requirements?
    Well it just came out, but I have not heard anything regarding a 2015 exam change for the Linux+ series yet. furthermore there will be a 3-6 month overlap period between the current exam series and any new exam series, so you should be able to knock this out prior to the new exam series.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS: Information Security, CISSP, GCIH, CEH, CHFI, CCNA: S, CCNA: R&S, VCP6-DTM, Linux+, Project+, VCA6-DCV
    Cybrary.it just came out with a free linux+ course they may interest you, I can't speak to the question you asked, as I have well over 5 Years of linux exposure and daily usage and could likely pass the exams without much issue. I'm reading through the Sybex book and plan to take the Linux+ in a week or two.

Free CompTIA Linux+ Certification Training Class from Cybrary

H3||scr3am
    Thanks!

I wonder if I should try to use this in addition to danscourses and Testout. Lots of info so I guess I'll play it by ear. If I failed the LX0-101 exam, then I'll probably jump over to the Cybrary course to retake that one and to prep for the LX0-102.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, GCFE, GSEC, CCNA, CCNA:Security, CCSA(exp), Security+, Network+, Linux+, Server+, A+, Project+, CEH, CHFI
    I recall the LabSim covered the material fairly well, but it doesn't hurt to have other sources and real world experience. Definitely lab up and run a couple of distro's.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by EngRob View Post
    I recall the LabSim covered the material fairly well, but it doesn't hurt to have other sources and real world experience. Definitely lab up and run a couple of distro's.
    I've got Mint and Ubuntu up on virtualbox and they are distros a couple years old so hopefully those are good enough.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    P+|L+|A+|N+|CCNA|CCNA Sec|CIW DB|CIW WDS|SSCP
    Something about that guy teaching the Testout videos annoyed the hell out of me.
    I felt like I was being taught linux by Woody Harrelson.

I also used linuxacademy.com to help me through this course.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Security+, AccessData Mobile Examiner, MCP, MTA (98-365)
    Quote Originally Posted by xiny View Post
    Something about that guy teaching the Testout videos annoyed the hell out of me.
    I felt like I was being taught linux by Woody Harrelson.
    That would be Rob Tracy. UMUC uses Labsim for a lot of their Microsoft/A+/N+/etc. courses. He annoys me as well.

For those not familiar with him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG033L53zlE

B
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    I actually don't mind him at all. At least he isn't dull and dry.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member JamesKurtovich's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, CCNA Sec, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+
    Quote Originally Posted by markulous View Post
    I've got Mint and Ubuntu up on virtualbox and they are distros a couple years old so hopefully those are good enough.
    I've got Kali and Fedora running in VMs on top of Mint myself. Mint 17.1 was a really good update. I was using 15 and ran into issues -- mainly with Flash.

The Linux Foundation also offers a free course on edx.org. https://www.edx.org/course/introduct...2#.VOGPzZjF9r8
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, too many MTAs
    Quote Originally Posted by markulous View Post
    Get Debian, OpenSUSE, and CentOS. Questions on Linux+ have them mentioned from what I have been told.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Security+, IT Project+, MCP, LPI-1, Linux+, CCNA R&S, CCNA Security
    Did not care for the WGU course. linuxacademy.com and a vm lab with half a dozen flavors of Linux was way better for me prepping and passing than the WGU material.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA Security, CCNA, Net+, A+, Server+, Linux+, Project+, Sec +...CIW stuff
    The WGU stuff was alright. I think taking your approach of a variety of different distros is the best plan, that's what I ended up doing and it paid off come exam time. I don't remember what my score was, but I know the test had a lot of command related questions and using different distros while preparing ended up being a boon for me. Good luck to all who are testing soon. Variety is the spice of life.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    I'm about halfway through Dan's Courses and going through the Labsim. I'm still a little bored/disinterested but at least it's not like Project+ boring.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    I took a two week break, but I'm back at it again. Looking at the objectives I still feel lost. I just want to bang this out ASAP to finish my degree. I really don't care about Linux at this point.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    If you really just want to bang it out, force your self to emerge in it... reformat your PC to CentOS and dive in... then you'll gain the comfort level you need with linux, and if you really want to do it quickly... don't use a Desktop manager during startup and try to perform as much as you can from the CLI... it'll help with the fill in the blank questions on the exam where you'll need to be familiar with the commands and flags.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member
    Yea I know the feeling. It took me almost 3 months to feel confident enough to take the 101 exam. What really helped me was going through the Labsim exercises and studying all the practice questions. Understanding why each answer was correct and incorrect really helped reinforce the material.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, VCA-DCV, Linux+/LPIC-1, AWS CSA, AWS Dev, AWS SysOps, Project+ [Expired: Net+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA]
    Are you currently studying for the first or second exam?
    Goals for 2017:
    RHCSA, RHCE, LFCS: Ubuntu | Project+ | AWS Certified DevOps Engineer | Learn Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, Golang | Improve Python Programming
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleNNs View Post
    Are you currently studying for the first or second exam?
    The first one. I think I'm close to finishing Dan's Courses material for LX0-101. Although, I don't see on the site where 101 ends and 102 begins, but looking at the objectives for 102 I don't see anything I've gone over yet. I'm about to start Week 8 right now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    If you really just want to bang it out, force your self to emerge in it... reformat your PC to CentOS and dive in... then you'll gain the comfort level you need with linux, and if you really want to do it quickly... don't use a Desktop manager during startup and try to perform as much as you can from the CLI... it'll help with the fill in the blank questions on the exam where you'll need to be familiar with the commands and flags.
    That's good advice but unfortunately, my study time and distros are only at work and I am not able to do that.

The thing that's killing me the most on these practice exams is the fill in the blank for the directories. There's no way I can remember all of these. Hopefully I can go back and forth a little and pull up a shell in one question to answer another question.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, VCA-DCV, Linux+/LPIC-1, AWS CSA, AWS Dev, AWS SysOps, Project+ [Expired: Net+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA]
    You won't have access to the shell in any of the questions on the exam.

The easiest way to remember the directories is to make sure you fully understand the Linux FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard) and lab as much as possible. Since you need to access those files/directories while labbing, you'll naturally start to remember where everything is located and what does what.

You don't have a pc at home you can set up a small VM (no GUI) on?
    Goals for 2017:
    RHCSA, RHCE, LFCS: Ubuntu | Project+ | AWS Certified DevOps Engineer | Learn Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, Golang | Improve Python Programming
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    I have a PC at home, it's just when I'm home I really don't have much time to study, whereas at work I have several hours.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    I think my biggest issue is that I just don't care about this cert at all. I just want to get it over with ASAP and don't care what I retain. I'm so close to graduating and that overshadows this cert.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CCDA, CCNA: Security, CCNA: R&S, MTA: Networking Fundamentals, Security+, Network+, Linux+, A+, Project+
    I'm working on the Linux+ now. I'm 1 chapter through already and the first few videos into the CBT nuggets. It's kind of boring and I don't care about it too much either, but I look at it as being 10% done already. It's not nearly as hard as learning the CCNA material at least. I'm only a day into this but I've just been labbing alongside the book/video. Going as good as it can get I guess.
    Last edited by hurricane1091; 04-21-2015 at 08:51 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks