+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Certifications
    MCDST, MCP, BSc Computer Forensics, MTA: 98-366, OSWP, OSCP, FJSE, ACE, PGCert, Linux+
    Today I continued where I left off before my PGCert - pg 121. I got through 40 pages today and ended up on, you guessed it, pg 161! I attempted the exam at the end of the chapter "Installing Linux" and I got 24/34 correct. I think that being away from the Linux+ for the last 8 weeks has definitely clouded my mind, so I need to re-visit some chapters to keep it fresh. What I can say, is that some of the questions seemed a bit unfair. One asked what timezone the US is in as opposed to UTC. Being from the UK - I don't know. I assumed 5 hours and I was wrong. Another question asked about "locales" and although the chapter had covered it, it wasn't fully engrained in my brain.

I'm going to spend some evenings this week going over everything from pg 1 through to 161 and trying to understand things that aren't 100% clear. I need to also familiarize myself with the way Linux names the disks e.g sda1, sda2, sdb1 etc. 24/34 is still 70% so I think i'm capable of passing this course, but it's definitely no joke. Some people might think: "You passed the OSCP, this should be easy!" The difference is, this is Linux administration, not penetration testing. It's a different ball game, although knowing your way around Linux is definitely useful for pen-testing. Either way, i'm still enjoying it, which is the main thing!!

Expect an update late this week, or next weekend.
    Plans for early 2018: CompTIA Security+
    Plans for 2018/Beyond: MTA Software Development Fundamentals and see where that takes me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Put Some Respekkt on it

Certifications
    Sec+, MTA WIN 7
    Can't wait for an update
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCDST, MCP, BSc Computer Forensics, MTA: 98-366, OSWP, OSCP, FJSE, ACE, PGCert, Linux+
    Ok so here's my latest update: I've been looking through the Bresnahan and Blum study guide in addition to my other study guide and I've confused myself somewhat. Both study guides cover some core concepts, but different things in each book. I'm wondering if I'd be better off reading both of them before doing the exam. The problem with this approach is a huge lack of time on my part.

I've been looking at the Linux Academy but can't justify paying their prices to learn open source stuff - I fully believe the material is good but I've already bought one study guide outright, buying a course as well seems like it might be overkill.

I need to devise a strategy to ensure I do well in the exam because the material isn't that hard, but there's a huge amount of it to remember.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Ok, so another update. I got 93% on my MSc coursework, so I have passed the module, so I now officially can add the "PGCert" to my resume.

Back to Linux+. After much reading up on the subject, I decided to do the following. Make a note of what exam #1 requires, then make a note of what exam #2 requires. Use Robb Tracey's book along with Bresnahan's book to maximise the amount i'm learning and then use CBT Nuggets for the 101 / 102 exam to view the commands being used. By using these 3 resources, I think i'll get the most out of the course and things that aren't mentioned in Robb's book, will be mentioned in Bresnahan's book.

After viewing some of the CBT Nugget videos - I definitely understand a bit more about the way Linux is put together. It is starting (slowly) to seem less daunting. I don't like the insistence that Linux has on the command line - I actually find that it breeds elitism - however, that's the way it is and it's just something I have to get to grips with.

Will update next weekend with more information about where i'm up to etc.
    Plans for 2018/Beyond: MTA Software Development Fundamentals and see where that takes me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I can only apologise guys. I lost motivation. I moved from a job I disliked into another job I dislike (which has poor rates of pay too. Ugh!)... But my motivation has suddenly came back tonight. The old me is back. I've saw that i've got 5 months left to pass this thing (from date I purchased the exam voucher). Not to big up myself, but I am good at working under pressure. Now I know I have 5 months to pass, i'm going to give it one last push.

The linux+ now HAS to be completed. No excuses. My mind is in the right place. Thanks for the continued support everyone, it means a lot.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I've decided to tackle the first exam's material first because I plan to take both exams on different dates. I've moved onto the Bresnahan and Blum study guide for the time being, because it lays out exam LX0-103 in order. I just did the end of chapter review and hit around 75%. There are 5 chapters to learn for exam LX0-103, so I consider myself 1/5 of the way there already. I am confident I can do this. With a big push i'll aim to sit the exam in October. 4 chapters to go in Bresnahan's book. Then i'll go through Robb Tracey's book, look at CBT Nugget's videos and I should be as prepared as I can be. I'm now using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS as my daily OS which is keeping me in the right mindset.
    Last edited by si20; 08-03-2016 at 11:27 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member

Certifications
    eJPT
    glad i read this thread man thanks for sharing
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Ok guys, i've booked the exam for the 29th September. I've done this to make me REALLY push myself (OSCP-style) and drown myself in information and get exam #1 out the way. I've been through quite a lot this year. I got a job with a big company and decided to leave. I joined the public sector and was horrified at how they do things. I finished up my contract and whilst i'm officially unemployed at the time of writing, i've got an interview with a big company. So things are on the up. To tell the truth, i've been a bit depressed with everything. This year hasn't gone as planned. I was hoping to get this cert done with a few months ago. But I spent 3-4 months of this year getting my PGCert.

So now, i've got just over 30 days to learn part #1 of the exam and (hopefully...) pass it. Once i've done that, that buys me a little bit of time and i'd aim to take exam #2 in December of this year.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Security+, Network+, Linux Essentials
    Best of luck on your exam! I know exactly how you're feeling. I bought my voucher about a year ago and have been studying off and on. I took a detour to get Security+ which turned out to be a good thing because it helped me get a job. About a week ago I logged in to my account to see when I had purchased the exam. I was expecting to have a month left, but only had two weeks left. Luckily, I've gone through most of my study material twice along with reading a completely different book. Hopefully I pass
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks Thomas, glad I'm not the only one! I bought my vouchers almost a year ago. I've found it extremely difficult to get motivated. I think it's a combination of stress with my job and that I've been continuously studying for years and aside from a few certs with my name on, I've not get much to show for it. The OSCP drained me as well. I did 90 days solid and it pushed me to my limits. I feel fairly confident I can pulled this off if I hammer the next 30 days. Good luck with your exam too!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS in Security Information, Sec+,A+, Server+, Network+, Certified Network Defense Profesional (CNDP), Certified Cybercrime Forensic Investigator
    Can you share? How are you practicing or doing labs? Please!!

Im reading some books but I need to practice and memorize all the comands!! Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by nisti2 View Post
    Can you share? How are you practicing or doing labs? Please!!

Im reading some books but I need to practice and memorize all the comands!! Thanks
    Earlier in this thread i've mentioned the strategy i'm using for the exam which is basically reading 2x Linux+ books and working through the exam objectives (the two books are mentioned earlier, check them out). So say for example the objective is to learn the 'whereis' command. I'll read about it. Do it practically, then move on to the next command. I have a hunch that exam #2 is going to be harder than exam #1, so I want to get exam #1 out of the way very quickly.

I'm going to spend *ALL* of today working on it.. I can't afford to fail it (both financially and time-wise). If I can pass it by December, I will feel like i've achieved something whilst i'm temporarily unemployed which will look much better to a potential employer.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    MS in Security Information, Sec+,A+, Server+, Network+, Certified Network Defense Profesional (CNDP), Certified Cybercrime Forensic Investigator
    Excellent! Thanks!! For the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by si20 View Post
    Earlier in this thread i've mentioned the strategy i'm using for the exam which is basically reading 2x Linux+ books and working through the exam objectives (the two books are mentioned earlier, check them out). So say for example the objective is to learn the 'whereis' command. I'll read about it. Do it practically, then move on to the next command. I have a hunch that exam #2 is going to be harder than exam #1, so I want to get exam #1 out of the way very quickly.

I'm going to spend *ALL* of today working on it.. I can't afford to fail it (both financially and time-wise). If I can pass it by December, I will feel like i've achieved something whilst i'm temporarily unemployed which will look much better to a potential employer.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I've mentioned it elsewhere, but i'll mention it here too. I've booked my Linux+ exam for the end of this month... So i've started a new strategy because I don't have much time.

I'm now going through my books and answering the questions at the end of the books. I'm picking up on things I don't know much about e.g SysVinit, renice etc and making notes of them. I'm then going to spend the week before the exam revising all the things I don't know.

It's make or break for me really. I perform well under pressure, so I hope my strategy will pay off. I found the course to be quite unstructured really. There's no one telling you: do this, do that. You just have to educate yourself on loads of different topics until you feel confident enough for the exam. Do I feel confident right now? Absolutely not. Will I pass? I'm not sure. I'm going to give it my all though.

It's a shame that the 3-1 certification offer is now gone. I am quite gutted I missed out on that, but to be 100% honest. At this point, I just want the Linux+ and then I can finally move on.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Security+, ACMT, CASP, CEH, CCNA R&S, A.S. & B.S. Cyber Security Systems/Digital Forensics, M.S. Cyber Security
    When did the 3 in 1 expire? So what I'm reading here: https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/linux is not valid?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by danny069 View Post
    When did the 3 in 1 expire? So what I'm reading here: https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/linux is not valid?
    You have to look for it on the page, it's at the end of the section where they talk about the three in one.

Note: The SUSE certification framework is changing. The LPIC-1 for SUSE CLA offer will only be available until Aug 30, 2016. After Aug 30, SUSE will recognize Linux+ directly as a prerequisite for their advanced certifications. For additional details, visit: https://training.suse.com/cer
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by danny069 View Post
    Yeah, I also missed that now we have to take 3 exams... too bad (N) ... or apparently didn't work
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Security+, ACMT, CASP, CEH, CCNA R&S, A.S. & B.S. Cyber Security Systems/Digital Forensics, M.S. Cyber Security
    Boo!! The bright side is, Linux+ is still for life right? Perhaps we can see some more collaborations like this in the future.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member

Certifications
    Yeah, Linux+ is for life as it stands, but your LPIC-1 will have an expiration date. To be honest I don't think having 3 certs versus 2 versus 1 cert really mean much. After all you still have the same amount of knowledge. The only way I can see it matter is if a certain employer was really firm on their requirement of having a certain cert such as Linux+ vs LPIC-1 vs Suse CLA.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quick question on umask, if anyone can clear this up. Default permission is 666. So umask 077 gives us 600. Because the '77' part is higher than the '66' part, is that why it goes to '00' ? Does that make sense?

So for example, if default permissions were 444 and I did a umask of 077, the result would be: 400 ?

Trying to wrap my head around it but the book isn't great at explaining.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    In the interest of being 100% open and honest with everyone. I did a practice exam today on penguintutor.com and I only got 44%. This did set alarm bells ringing BUT, in my defense, I did make some very basic errors (e.g not reading the question properly).

I revised a bit more and sat the exam again right this second (at the time i'm writing this post). The questions were different the second time around. Results as follows:

Linux Certification Practice Exams

Score

20 out of 25
    80 %

So I think with a bit more revision, I should be ok providing the questions in the exam are of a similar difficulty level to the sample questions on that website. I will do sample questions on other websites too.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    It'sbetter to get lower scores on practice exams than the actual test. This allows you to see where you are lacking knowledge and let's you shore up those areas before the actual test.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I decided to use 4tests.com to give me some sample questions and wow. I almost had to guess every single one. I don't know if I was just unlucky got I got almost 30 questions about rsync, systemd, upstart, runlevels.... I got 55%.

I've absolutely spotted gaping holes in my knowledge. My knowledge of systemd and the other things I listed is virtually zero. My confidence is pretty low at this point because i've got the exam in 2 weeks and i'm struggling. Someone else in another thread said that the hardest thing about the Linux+ is the wide variation of questions and I think they're right.

You can get anything from CLI useage to dmesg, to locations of files, runlevels, grep questions, filesystem questions etc. I'm going to put some serious effort into boosting my knowledge over the next 2 weeks but at the time of writing I am NOT confident.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    You might want to download the exam objectives and read each one. I think there are some things that the exam objective says that you need to he familiar with, but don't have to know in depth.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Objectives my friend! varelg's Avatar

Certifications
    RHCSA
    @si20: your question on umask has to do with maximum permissions for file and for directory, which are not the same. When you assign a umask value, think about what are you masking from the user or group.
    Also think of the implications of umask value per user vs. global assignment.
    Further with your studies, be very specific on topics you have problem understanding or remembering. Make a list of them and do your research on each until you start understanding . Lab. Them. All.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks