+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Darth Lord of the Sith ITSpectre's Avatar

Certifications
    Sec+, MTA, MCP
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas_ View Post
    I just care about what is going to make me a valuable asset to my current employer and allow me to do my job well.
    Exactly. And that is what it is all about.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas_ View Post
    I don't care about what is in demand based off of job postings if I'm happily employed. I just care about what is going to make me a valuable asset to my current employer and allow me to do my job well.
    Well, not that I disagree with importance of being a valuable asset to your current employer, but I would still keep abreast of the current job market as you never know when your current employer would become your previous employer At least that's what my 17 years in IT taught me
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Darth Lord of the Sith ITSpectre's Avatar

Certifications
    Sec+, MTA, MCP
    Quote Originally Posted by gkca View Post
    you never know when your current employer would become your previous employer At least that's what my 17 years in IT taught me
    ^^^^^^^^^ This is 100% real. I learned early on, to always keep 1 foot in the door and the other foot out... always be ready to move if the job ends, or the contract expires.... etc. Learned that the hard way myself.
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Security+, Network+, Linux Essentials
    I agree, but I think being a valuable asset to your current employer makes you a valuble asset to future employers(as long as you haven't pigeon-holed yourself in some obscure technology.) Once you're up to speed at your current job, by all means learn the things that will land you your next position.
    Last edited by thomas_; 06-08-2016 at 08:27 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Censorship is Un-American JockVSJock's Avatar

Certifications
    M.S. in MIS/MBA, Network+, A+, Linux+, Security+, C|EH, RHCSA
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleNNs View Post
    I find it funny that more people who recommend the RHCSA have the Linux+ and no Red Hat certs of their own. I understand people get certs for different reaons, and hindsight is 20/20, allowing people to give advice on what they'd do if they could do something over again. Still, I find it funny. ::shrug::
    Think of it like this... CompTIA is like reading a book on learning on how to drive a car. RHCSA is like being in the driver seat as a student driver with the instructor in the passenger seat grading you as really drive a car. For the record, I've taken the RHCSA and failed. T Minus 30 Days Till RHCSA I will try again soon, however with all of the shifting priorities at work and life, I don't know when that will be.
    Last edited by JockVSJock; 06-09-2016 at 11:04 AM.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. R's child has far to go thatguy67's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA:R&S, Linux+/LPIC-1/CLA, MCSA:Server 2012, SCS:DLP 12, Security+, VCP5-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by JockVSJock View Post
    Think of it like this... CompTIA is like reading a book on learning on how to drive a car. RHCSA is like being in the driver seat as a student driver with the instructor in the passenger seat grading you as really drive a car. For the record, I've taken the RHCSA and failed. T Minus 30 Days Till RHCSA I will try again soon, however with all of the shifting priorities at work and life, I don't know when that will be.

Too true. I'm studying for the Red Hat exams currently.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    Ehh... I don't agree with this analogy. Driving a car is a physical skill requiring muscle memory and coordination training. This is entirely different from hands-on configuring a computer. I can read a book on what command to type to do something. Then I can immediately, and just as easily, go type that command. I don't have to train myself to type it. It's not going to require weeks of practice to go from reading a command to being able to type it on a keyboard.

I've been using Linux since the 90's, and this whole hands-on testing system just doesn't impress me as much as it seems to impress everyone else. Nothing against RHCSA at all, but I don't see it as an all-encompassing superior to Linux+.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorlexus View Post
    Ehh... I don't agree with this analogy. Driving a car is a physical skill requiring muscle memory and coordination training. This is entirely different from hands-on configuring a computer. I can read a book on what command to type to do something. Then I can immediately, and just as easily, go type that command. I don't have to train myself to type it. It's not going to require weeks of practice to go from reading a command to being able to type it on a keyboard.

I've been using Linux since the 90's, and this whole hands-on testing system just doesn't impress me as much as it seems to impress everyone else. Nothing against RHCSA at all, but I don't see it as an all-encompassing superior to Linux+.
    Taking a test is a skill too, particularly taking a multiple choice test - it is a skill of and in itself, that's what I've learned after taking more than a dozen multiple choice tests from Microsoft, Vmware and CompTIA.
    Taking a practical hands on test is totally another skill as you have to actually apply your knowledge and there's no way to figure out the right answer by eliminating the nonsense and you're on your own with the actual system, under stress and time limit, so it's much more real life, you know.
    As for RHCSA being superior to Linux+, let the job market decide what's hot and what's not, so if you feel that Linux+ would make you more marketable than RHCSA - then just go for it.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member
    With the exception of a handful of high end certifications, I think marketability is mostly about the person rather than the certs. If you're applying for a job that involves working in Linux (whatever distro), I think as long as you describe your Linux skill set well and have something concrete to back up that skill set, you'll be good to go. It doesn't really matter than no one is specifically looking for Linux+. People are looking for people who know Linux. The Linux+ cert will help, even if the employer never mentions it in their ad. It just depends on your ability to market your skill set.

I really shouldn't care. I don't have any vested interest in this one way or another. Unless I were explicitly applying for a Red Hat job, I could flip a coin about what cert I'd study for. I just hate to see so many people on this forum talked out of Linux+ like it's not worth anything. I don't believe that at all. And if I were hiring, looking at two different resumes, one with Linux+ and one with RHCSA, I'd interview both and probably hire the person who gave me the best answers and seemed the most passionate.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Darth Lord of the Sith ITSpectre's Avatar

Certifications
    Sec+, MTA, MCP
    And if I were hiring, looking at two different resumes, one with Linux+ and one with RHCSA, I'd interview both and probably hire the person who gave me the best answers and seemed the most passionate.
    If only employers did this!!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    And if I were hiring, looking at two different resumes, one with Linux+ and one with RHCSA, I'd interview both and probably hire the person who gave me the best answers and seemed the most passionate.
    If I were hiring I wouldn't care about any certifications at all, but I'm not hiring, so I play by the rules of the market, pretty simple, isn't it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ITSpectre View Post
    If only employers did this!!!!
    Many do, especially with medium-size and smaller companies.

If I were hiring I wouldn't care about any certifications at all, but I'm not hiring, so I play by the rules of the market, pretty simple, isn't it?
    No, following rules blindly just adds to the problems caused by blind rule following. Sure, it's easier that way, never making any waves, but then you're not helping anyone except yourself.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    No, following rules blindly just adds to the problems caused by blind rule following. Sure, it's easier that way, never making any waves, but then you're not helping anyone except yourself.
    Looks like we're not on the same page, are we? I'm telling you that we're in competitive job market and some people get hired and/or promoted, some don't. Getting certified is a means to an end and the reason to get certified is to advance one's career, not to make waves or rebel against the system.
    HTH.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    Ok guys, I think we've beat this thread into the ground. Lets move on and not let the conversations begin to devolve with personal attacks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member
    Looks like we're not on the same page, are we? I'm telling you that we're in competitive job market and some people get hired and/or promoted, some don't. Getting certified is a means to an end and the reason to get certified is to advance one's career, not to make waves or rebel against the system.
    HTH.
    No, not exactly the same page. I understand where you're coming from, but I also want to encourage new people that Linux+ is not worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Verities View Post
    Ok guys, I think we've beat this thread into the ground. Lets move on and not let the conversations begin to devolve with personal attacks.
    No one is attacking anyone. We're just having a discussion.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Objectives my friend! varelg's Avatar

Certifications
    RHCSA
    The original poster mentioned having RHEL 5 and AIX at work. I don't think either certification would help at the current workplace. RHEL evolved quite a bit since RHEL 5. Both RHCSA and LPIC test against systemd and GRUB2.
    But maybe the OP saw an opening there, a chance to switch his/her career path. So look at the exam objectives and decide which of the two certifications would enrich your skill set more?
    Few of us here hold both certs. I let my lpic-1 quietly expire. I would rather take practical exams than multiple choice, anytime. But that's just me. I can't stand forcing myself to memorize handles of an archaic text processing utility that I will probably never use.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; MCSE:M 2000/2003; MCSE:S 2000/2003; MCTS:Exch2007; Security+; A+; CCNA (expired)
    I don't think Linux+ is for someone that is expecting to get a "Linux" job right away. It is what it is - an entry level credential for a particular skill set that isn't usually found in a role for which companies are generally willing to hire an entry level IT person.

For a guy like me, who is an "occasional" Linux admin but does not perform day to day Linux tasks as a core job responsibility, Linux+ seems an appropriate credential to certify that level of knowledge (and to fill a couple of skill/knowledge gaps along the way). Having some spotty Linux exposure on the resume, I wanted to tie it all up more cleanly, and at the same time pick up on some of the core Linux skills that I hadn't picked up as a mostly self-taught individual. Linux+ was a fit for me. I have gotten slightly more hits for positions looking for Windows/VMware/Linux experience as well.

I went into this planning to eventually pursue RH certification, but I'm going to wait until I have some more hands on time with Linux OTJ and spend my outside time catching up on my other certs first.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 10/27/2017 - Passed Microsoft 70-410 (one exam left for MCSA 2012)
    Working on: MCSA 2012 upgrade from 2003 (to heck with 2008!!), MCSA 2016 upgrade, more Linux
    Thinking about: VCP6-CMA, AWS Solution Architect (Associate), Python, VCAP6-DCD (for completing VCIX)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Objectives my friend! varelg's Avatar

Certifications
    RHCSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mciheal Henry View Post

Personally, i'd probably do both but LPIC 2 is WAY more advanced than RHCSA. So if your looking for something rather easy to increase your knowledge but isn't a huge step up from linux+ i'd go with rhcsa when our course launches next month.
    Oh lol... no way...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, VCA-DCV, Linux+/LPIC-1, AWS CSA, AWS Dev, AWS SysOps, Project+ [Expired: Net+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA]
    Linux+ and LPIC-1 are the same exact exam. Take the Linux+ and you'll automatically get the LPIC-1 in addition to your Linux+ cert, if you register w/ the LPI and during the exam allow your results to be forwarded over. You'll also get a third SUSE certification as well if you do similar w/ them.
    Goals for 2017:
    RHCSA, RHCE, LFCS: Ubuntu | Project+ | AWS Certified DevOps Engineer | Learn Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, Golang | Improve Python Programming
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Member

Certifications
    LPIC-1, Linux+, SUSE CLA, MCP, VCA6-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by varelg View Post
    The original poster mentioned having RHEL 5 and AIX at work. I don't think either certification would help at the current workplace. RHEL evolved quite a bit since RHEL 5. Both RHCSA and LPIC test against systemd and GRUB2.
    For current RHCSA it is true, but not for LPIC-1(Linux+). When you preparing for this exam, you must understand also legacy GRUB and SysVinit.
    That is advantage LPIC-1, you don't study one and newest Linux and technologies, you are preparing for World of Linux, not just one Distro.
    One example for current case: with RHEL7 RHCSA objectives original poster can't work with RHEL5 administrative and Logging tasks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, VCA-DCV, Linux+/LPIC-1, AWS CSA, AWS Dev, AWS SysOps, Project+ [Expired: Net+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA]
    Think of it like this... CompTIA is like reading a book on learning on how to drive a car. RHCSA is like being in the driver seat as a student driver with the instructor in the passenger seat grading you as really drive a car.
    I'm a little late, but I like this analogy. License written test vs road test.
    Goals for 2017:
    RHCSA, RHCE, LFCS: Ubuntu | Project+ | AWS Certified DevOps Engineer | Learn Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, Golang | Improve Python Programming
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member
    No contest here imo. Redhat cert is FAR more difficult to achieve than the Linux+. Put it this way you can pass the Linux+ without ever have been a linux system admin or spending a lot of time labbing. That's almost impossible to do for RHCE or RHSCA. Which brings up another point, I've seen quite a few people with linux+ certs but have never been a linux admin. I've never met anyone(although I'm sure they exist) that has a Redhat cert that didn't have any experience.

Let's be honest here, it's a lot easier to pass a multiple choice test than it is to pass a hands-on practical exam. Also it's a lot easier to cheat on a multiple choice test. You can memorize the question & answer without knowing what it mean. You can't do that on a hands on practical. Not saying it impossible to cheat on a practical, but even there the cheating would be different. Sure someone could tell you what to expect on the practical or the tasks you would need to perform but you STILL would need to know how to perform them when you got to the exam room. RHCSA and especially the RHCE also go a lot deeper.

I've never met a RHCE that wasn't super sharp when it came to linux. The RHSCA were pretty good too. That's probably due to the fact most people I knew with Redhat certs had at least 5 years linux admin experience and most had 10 or 15 years linux admin experience.

I have nothing against Linux+ but assuming everything else was equal well then it's a no contest. For me the Linux+ would be a good intro before someone got certified on RHCE.

That's wrong of the reasons the MCSE lost so much luster back in the day. Too many folks were brain dumping to pass that didn't even know how to map a network drive. But honestly these folks are easy to spot before the interview. They are the guy or gal with a MCSE or Linux+ with no work experience.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks