+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF

Default Linux+ or RHCSA?

I am completely new to Linux, and I would love to get into it once I complete my MCITP and MCSA for Windows Server.

I have recently started a new job working in a RedHat 5 and AIX environment, and my TL is training me in the basic commands to be able to do my job (they wanted someone with no/little experience so they didn't have to pay me as much ). I've used basic Ubuntu and Fedora VMs on my personal PC and this is the first time I've used it from a command based environment. I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought I would.

I've completed the CompTIA trio so I sort of know what to expect from the Linux+, but I'm quite frankly bored of their exam style and want to push myself. I think the RHCSA is worth more but only covers Redhat? As a newbie, would you recommend doing the Linux+ first or go straight to the RHCSA? What can I expect from the lab environments? With the Linux+ I can use Professor Messers videos and some Darril Gibson books. Can the RHCSA be self studied or is it better to do it through a course?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to prepare myself and gather as much info as I can
    Currently working at: MCSA: Windows 10 (70-698, 70-697)
    2018/2019 Goals: MCSE: Mobility, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Censorship is Un-American JockVSJock's Avatar

Certifications
    M.S. in MIS/MBA, Network+, A+, Linux+, Security+, C|EH
    Do the RHCSA.

Forget about Linux+.

RHCSA hands on/real world, were you build actual knowledge and skills.

CompTIA Linux+ is a bunch of multiple choice questions, where you memorize an answer.

Get yourself VirtualBox and the latest CentOS and you are ready to lab away.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Woohoo! It's over 1000!

Certifications
    RHCSA, Linux+, ACSA, ACTC, ACSP, MCSA:7, MCTS, ITIL F, Prince2 Pract, AgilePM Practioner, VCP-DCV, Storage+, CCNA R+S, CCNA Sec, Security+, CEH, CASP
    Ahem, this question (and close variations) has been asked before:

Linux+ (3-in-1) vs RHCSA

RHCSA or Linux+

RHCSA after Comptia Linux+??

RHCSA v. Linux+/LPI?

Linux+ or dive right in to RHCSA?

Which is harder Linux+ or RHCSA?

Knowledge gap between Linux+ (LPIC-1) and RHCSA?

If you are using RedHat, then RHCSA makes a lot of sense. The current RHCSA is based on RHEL7, which is different to RHEL 5. Linux+ is very similar to the other CompTIAs in style, although I think it had 'fill in the blanks' which was a novelty.

The RHCSA is a practical, hands on exam. Basically, you can do it however you like using the base installation and standard RHEL packages. If you want to use GUI tools to perform the task, then you can. All that matters is that you complete the stated goals. This very much suits most experienced SysAdmins since they will generally have a preferred way of performing a task.

BUT, as you say, RHCSA is just Red Hat. So you don't need to know about apt-get, for example. This does have its good and bad points. Since it is much better defined, the scope can be better focused. You don't need to know 2 or 3 ways to do things to cover various distros. You just need to know the Red Hat way. This allows maybe a little more depth.

You can self study for Linux+ and RHCSA (or even RHCE). If you go for RHCSA study through Red Hat from your current base, you'll likely need to take the two course route. It is rather... expensive. So ideally you get your workplace to pay for it .

I think there is some value in reading Linux+ before RHCSA, or at least a good general intro to Linux. There's some good stuff up on Linux Academy. Complete Idiot's Beginner Guides for Dummies type books can be good, too. Because they tend to be simple, it is a good way to build up confidence. Jumping straight into "Linux Kernel Development, 3rd Edition" can be overwhelming.

Personally, I took RHCSA before Linux+ because I was able to get into an RHCSA bootcamp. I did have a several years' experience in Unix/Linux, though.

Maybe set some small projects for yourself to work through on a VM. Create a user, set up a website, change network configuration, update a kernel, write a simple script, change the clock, set a cron job, partition a drive, install latest version of Fedora.
    2017 Goals - MCSA 2008, CISSP, CCNP:R+S, Agile PM
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Security+, Network+, Linux Essentials
    If you're in a Red Hat environment then I would do RHCSA all day everyday. I think any time you have paid work experience with a technology and the cert to back it up, it's a boon for your resume. Studying for the RHCSA immediately will help you learn and do your job better/faster in a shorter period of time. If you studied for Linux+ you would spend time on things that may not be applicable in your environment. If you wanted to learn a different distribution you could go through the Linux+ training and just not take the test.

Disclosure: I'm studying for the Linux+ right now.
    Last edited by thomas_; 06-07-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks for all the answers. I think I will stick to training for the RHCSA as I am using it in my workplace, I was just curious on the training technique and exam conditions as I have really only studied in CompTIA and MS, and didn't know how it differed.

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Woohoo! It's over 1000!

Certifications
    RHCSA, Linux+, ACSA, ACTC, ACSP, MCSA:7, MCTS, ITIL F, Prince2 Pract, AgilePM Practioner, VCP-DCV, Storage+, CCNA R+S, CCNA Sec, Security+, CEH, CASP
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyliinez92 View Post
    Thanks for all the answers. I think I will stick to training for the RHCSA as I am using it in my workplace, I was just curious on the training technique and exam conditions as I have really only studied in CompTIA and MS, and didn't know how it differed.
    A bit more about the exam itself. Basically you have a couple of virtual machines and a list of configuration tasks. The tasks are applied cumulatively to the virtual environment. So you might do something like repartition a drive, and then export one of the volumes as an NFS share, then use that to host home folders for users on the client machine. There's no 'traditional' questions at all, it's all hands on using commands like you would on a real computer (minus access to Google and the internet).

Quite a few people who do the Red Hat RHCSA and RHCE exams describe them as 'enjoyable'.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    That sounds more enjoyable than basic multiple choice questions . I've done a few tasks in redhat similar to that; changing root and folder permissions via chmod, chown, copying files via scp, creating directories... what is the difficulty of the exam? It sounds fairly straight forward?

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, VCA-DCV, Linux+/LPIC-1, AWS CSA, AWS Dev, AWS SysOps, Project+ [Expired: Net+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA]
    I find it funny that more people who recommend the RHCSA have the Linux+ and no Red Hat certs of their own.
    I understand people get certs for different reaons, and hindsight is 20/20, allowing people to give advice on what they'd do if they could do something over again. Still, I find it funny. ::shrug::
    Goals for 2017:
    RHCSA, RHCE, LFCS: Ubuntu | Project+ | AWS Certified DevOps Engineer | Learn Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, Golang | Improve Python Programming
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Woohoo! It's over 1000!

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyliinez92 View Post
    That sounds more enjoyable than basic multiple choice questions . I've done a few tasks in redhat similar to that; changing root and folder permissions via chmod, chown, copying files via scp, creating directories... what is the difficulty of the exam? It sounds fairly straight forward?
    It's fairly straight forward if you know what you are doing. The difficulty is remembering all the syntax and the process. It's not like real life where you can Google and adapt a recipe - you have to have it memorised more or less. Challenging for people like me that still need to double check the syntax for extracting a tarball.

There's a bunch of different tasks, following the objectives, and not all of them will be things that you will do regularly, for example partitioning drives - that's generally a one off task, and for larger environments usually automated - or creating users.

There's also stuff like SELinux, which doesn't go too deep for RHCSA, but is one of those things that far fewer people use than should, so you mightn't have any exposure to it depending on where you work.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Woohoo! It's over 1000!

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleNNs View Post
    I find it funny that more people who recommend the RHCSA have the Linux+ and no Red Hat certs of their own.
    I understand people get certs for different reaons, and hindsight is 20/20, allowing people to give advice on what they'd do if they could do something over again. Still, I find it funny. ::shrug::
    Yeah, I think some might forget that people need to learn some Linux from somewhere before thinking about RHCSA. Sometimes we forget how much we learn and how much effort we put in.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Darth Lord of the Sith ITSpectre's Avatar

Certifications
    Sec+, MTA, MCP
    Honestly I was studying Linux+ and switched to RedHat. I mean regardless Linux is Linux.... It does not matter if you use CentOS, Ubuntu, or RedHat linux.... The Kernel is all the same. The difference comes into place where you see the different GUI's or desktop enviornments.... or different software packages. But the basics are the same... with minor command differences between the commands. To be honest at least in my area... Nobody is really looking for anyone with Linux+. They are all looking for RedHat.
    My issue with Linux+ is... with learning Linux+ you are learning 3 different Linux Distros in one book.... with RHCSA you are learning RedHat.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    Thanks guys. It all looks pretty clear that Redhat would be the best choice. I had a feeling but wanted to get peoples views on it. Once I get my MCITP and MCSA in Server 2012 I will work on the RHCSA. I'm getting training basically every day so hopefully it shouldn't take me too long .

Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    Linux+ gets a lot of hate, but I think that's probably because of what it was before CompTIA adopted LPI's testing scheme. I think it's a good cert now, especially since you get LPIC-1 with it.

If you're looking for a job involving Red Hat administration, obviously RHCSA will be more favorable. But if not, I think Linux+ would be good to get. Just because RHCSA is hands-on doesn't make it better or more advanced, nor does it mean that you'll be more competent. In fact, I find a lot of things are easier hands-on when I have man pages to reference and I can look around and get a visual layout.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Darth Lord of the Sith ITSpectre's Avatar

Certifications
    Sec+, MTA, MCP
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorlexus View Post
    Linux+ gets a lot of hate, but I think that's probably because of what it was before CompTIA adopted LPI's testing scheme. I think it's a good cert now, especially since you get LPIC-1 with it.
    I think it gets a lot of hate because the LPIC-1 is not even recognized in the states, it is bigger over the pond. Linux+ is good but its not enough of a ROI to get. For me (just my opinion) I think its a filler cert. CompTia wanted to be relevant and compete with other companies in every facet.... so they created Linux+, Project+ and the healthcare cert....
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ITSpectre View Post
    I think it gets a lot of hate because the LPIC-1 is not even recognized in the states, it is bigger over the pond. Linux+ is good but its not enough of a ROI to get. For me (just my opinion) I think its a filler cert. CompTia wanted to be relevant and compete with other companies in every facet.... so they created Linux+, Project+ and the healthcare cert....
    Eh, I have my issues with CompTIA...they do seem like they want a cert for everything. Like Server+? Really? And Project+, I'm not sure about that one either. Net+, I don't know...seems like it's better to just get a CCENT or JNCIA IMHO. But their A+, Sec+, and Linux+ all seem worthwhile to me, depending on what you want to do.

I don't think I'd get Linux+ if you're definitely going to get RHCSA. But at the same time, I'm not sure getting an RHCSA is going to be any more valuable than Linux+ if you're not actually working an admin job with Red Hat. Linux+ has the advantage of being more detailed and more diverse, which is a good thing if your goal is to just get a working knowledge of Linux in general.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    Imho, there's no "hate" towards Linux+, it's just the fact that there's no ROI - just do a quick lookup on dice and indeed and you'll find out that no one is looking for Linux+ certified peeps.
    And one can study and know Linux or any other thing pretty well without getting certified at all, but if you're going to spend your hard earned money on certification, then it makes sense to spend on something that's going to help you to advance your career and earn more and that's where RHCSA/RHCE excels unlike the Linux+.
    So to sum it up, study for both LPIC and RHCE, but take only the RHCE, unless you have some money to waste.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gkca View Post
    Imho, there's no "hate" towards Linux+, it's just the fact that there's no ROI
    I've heard that claim, but I'm not sure I believe it. I think having Linux+ on your resume could definitely help you get a job, especially if it comes down to two candidates, one with Linux+ and the other with no Linux cert. It gives the hiring manager some peace of mind that you actually have some of the knowledge you claim on your resume.

I know that Linux+ is rarely mentioned in job ads, but that alone isn't evidence that it has no ROI. Just because it's not mentioned doesn't mean it won't have value when someone sees you have it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    I've heard that claim, but I'm not sure I believe it. I think having Linux+ on your resume could definitely help you get a job, especially if it comes down to two candidates, one with Linux+ and the other with no Linux cert
    Let's compare apples to apples - what if one candidate has only Linux+ and the other one is RHCSA or RHCE? It's like comparing a guy with Network+ to CCNA or CCNP - which one would more likely get a job considering everything else is equal? Would it make sense for someone with CCNP to get a Network+?
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Darth Lord of the Sith ITSpectre's Avatar

Certifications
    Sec+, MTA, MCP
    Let's compare apples to apples - what if one candidate has only Linux+ and the other one is RHCSA or RHCE? It's like comparing a guy with Network+ to CCNA or CCNP - which one would more likely get a job considering everything else is equal? Would it make sense for someone with CCNP to get a Network+?
    RHCSA>Linux+
    CCNA>Net+
    CISSP>Sec+
    PMP>Project+
    HIPPA>HIT (CompTia Healthcare IT Cert)

Honestly if you are going to get a cert its better to get something that is not a "Filler" and something that you can use. Net+ does not fall under the Filler Category.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Darth Lord of the Sith ITSpectre's Avatar

Certifications
    Sec+, MTA, MCP
    I know that Linux+ is rarely mentioned in job ads, but that alone isn't evidence that it has no ROI. Just because it's not mentioned doesn't mean it won't have value when someone sees you have it.
    I mean if you think about it... Project+, Linux+, and HIT are not even mentioned on job boards at ALL. I didn't know about project+ and Linux+ till I joined the forum. When people think of Linux they think of RedHat or CentOS. When people talk about Project Management they think about the PMP. In Healthcare IT the big cert is the HIPPA... in Infosec everyone talks about CISSP, Gsec, OSCP, CAP, CASP etc.... in Networking its Net+ CCNA, CCNA sec, CCNP, CCIE, and so forth..... part of getting a cert is mostly based on interest, ROI, and application (for me). So I would rather study harder and longer for a more recognized cert, then to get a cert that will just be a piece of paper with my name on it. IMO....

IMO - I do not look down on Linux+, Project+, HIT.... I just think they are "fillers".
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member
    I just don't view Linux+ as lowly as you do. My mindset isn't "RHCSA trumps Linux+ for all things." If I'm not hiring a Red Hat admin, then no, I don't think RHCSA automatically gets the job over Linux+.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    I just don't view Linux+ as lowly as you do. My mindset isn't "RHCSA trumps Linux+ for all things." If I'm not hiring a Red Hat admin, then no, I don't think RHCSA automatically gets the job over Linux+.
    I'm not saying that "RHCSA trumps Linux+ for all things.", no, not at all - but what I'm saying is that the market demand for Linux+ certification is nearly non-existent, unlike RHCSA/RHCE.
    If you have time and money to pass both - do so by all means, it certainly won't harm.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Darth Lord of the Sith ITSpectre's Avatar

Certifications
    Sec+, MTA, MCP
    I'm not saying that "RHCSA trumps Linux+ for all things.", no, not at all - but what I'm saying is that the market demand for Linux+ certification is nearly non-existent, unlike RHCSA/RHCE.
    If you have time and money to pass both - do so by all means, it certainly won't harm.
    I would say think of it like this....

Would you get a degree if no jobs wanted one?
    Would you buy a car if you could ride a bike to work?

RHCSA VS Linux+ = ROI for RHCSA vs no ROI for Linux+

Its not about which is better.... its about getting the most for your money and have that cert and knowledge help you progress in your career or business. Some people prefer RHCSA others Prefer Linux+ but at the end of the day... Linux is Linux. And the Kernel is the same.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    Quote Originally Posted by ITSpectre View Post
    I would say think of it like this....

Would you get a degree if no jobs wanted one?
    Would you buy a car if you could ride a bike to work?

RHCSA VS Linux+ = ROI for RHCSA vs no ROI for Linux+

Its not about which is better.... its about getting the most for your money and have that cert and knowledge help you progress in your career or business. Some people prefer RHCSA others Prefer Linux+ but at the end of the day... Linux is Linux. And the Kernel is the same.
    For what its worth, I have both certifications and I've seen ROI on both. My first jump from VMware sysadmin to entry level Linux sys admin was a $15K salary increase (my Linux + helped me in the door) and my RHCSA has helped me jump from admin to engineer at a $25k salary increase.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Security+, Network+, Linux Essentials
    I've been seeing Linux+ being posted as a requirement or a desired qualification for DoD contracting jobs.

I kind of view the whole RHCSA vs Linux+ kind of like this, if you are a PC tech in a 100% Windows environment are you going to focus your studies on Windows PCs, MACs, or both? Personally, I would be studying Windows PCs. Sure it's nice to know how to operate and troubleshoot MACs, but it's not an immediate need in my current environment. I would get up to speed on Windows PCs, so I could perform my job well and then if I was interested I would start studying MACs to become more proficient and expand my skillset for future jobs.

OP has already stated that he/she works in a RedHat environment. At this point why would you spend time studying an area that's not immediately applicable to your job? If OP was in a mixed environment it would be a different story and I probably would recommend Linux+ and to follow it up with RHCSA and then a LFCS.

I don't care about what is in demand based off of job postings if I'm happily employed. I just care about what is going to make me a valuable asset to my current employer and allow me to do my job well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks