+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Linux jobs

  1. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    25
    #1

    Default Linux jobs

    I would like to dip into linux later and make it my career somehow, just want to know what kind of jobs are out there based on linux?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,145

    Certifications
    RHCE
    #2
    You can do pretty much anything with Linux in the IT field. Most security based applications are used from Linux based platforms, most web servers on the internet run on Linux, phones run on Linux, etc. The career opportunities are endless really and the demand for Linux professionals is very high. The result is a pay scale that is usually much higher than alternative IT fields.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    61
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Verities View Post
    You can do pretty much anything with Linux in the IT field. Most security based applications are used from Linux based platforms, most web servers on the internet run on Linux, phones run on Linux, etc. The career opportunities are endless really and the demand for Linux professionals is very high. The result is a pay scale that is usually much higher than alternative IT fields.
    How do I get exp in that field though? Do I get a junior role or something?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,145

    Certifications
    RHCE
    #4
    That's really a catch 22 right? The best thing you can do is learn about the basics of Linux, then figure out how to administer network services (DHCP and DNS probably being the easiest to implement initially), then possibly pursue a certification in the field. College degrees in computer science are always sought after since you'll most likely study the Linux OS during that time. Networking with local user groups can also help in career opportunities.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    61
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Verities View Post
    That's really a catch 22 right? The best thing you can do is learn about the basics of Linux, then figure out how to administer network services (DHCP and DNS probably being the easiest to implement initially), then possibly pursue a certification in the field. College degrees in computer science are always sought after since you'll most likely study the Linux OS during that time. Networking with local user groups can also help in career opportunities.
    Ok thanks, I just got the LPIC cert for linux. I want to learn more but with a baby on the way I am trying to see what my next step is for better ROI.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,145

    Certifications
    RHCE
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by wrfortiscue View Post
    Ok thanks, I just got the LPIC cert for linux. I want to learn more but with a baby on the way I am trying to see what my next step is for better ROI.
    Congratulations and study as much as you can now. I know from experience that your time to study diminishes once you have a baby to take care of and especially in the first couple of months until your baby starts sleeping through the night, you'll most likely be in a constant zombie state.

    ROI on any cert is all about the amount of effort you put into it. I do like Linux Academy and their courses since they provide a lot of structure and labs that you can do to learn how to setup things like DNS or DHCP or whatever.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    61
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Verities View Post
    Congratulations and study as much as you can now. I know from experience that your time to study diminishes once you have a baby to take care of and especially in the first couple of months until your baby starts sleeping through the night, you'll most likely be in a constant zombie state.

    ROI on any cert is all about the amount of effort you put into it. I do like Linux Academy and their courses since they provide a lot of structure and labs that you can do to learn how to setup things like DNS or DHCP or whatever.
    Thanks for the advice. I do like linux academy, thats what helped me get that cert!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks