+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Member

Certifications
    LPIC-1, Linux+, SUSE CLA, MCP, VCA6-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by si20 View Post
    Note to self: Study X server and configuration files / locations.
    Do not spend a lot of time on it. These questions have low weight in exam and can be in practice only once in live have to use.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member Andy from Sactown's Avatar

Certifications
    Linux+, Network+, Security+
    Do you have any exam prep software / practice tests? I'd be doing a more comprehensive review at this point right before sitting the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, i-Net+, Server+, Security+, MCP 70-210, Novell CNA 5.0
    I think you're right Thomas, i've kinda got to the point where it's "now or never". I purchased the Linux+ vouchers back in January of this year. I thought i'd be able to bust out both exams within 6 months and work full time (how wrong I was!).

But i've booked my exam, booked my train tickets to get to the exam centre. It's happening! I think i'm as ready as i'll be. I've been revising everything; all of my notes, my practice exams etc. I've even gone out of my way and tried to install a CUPS sever (although I had issues but I think that was down to my OpenSUSE install rather than anything else). I've also gone over subnetting too.

Note to self: Study X server and configuration files / locations.

Will update Tuesday, late afternoon/evening (GMT).
    GoodLUCK!
    2017 -> Chillaxing & (reading C|EH - Matt Walker)
    2018 -> CCNA CyberOps (July Cohort)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member
    Fingers crossed! Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCDST, MCP, BSc Computer Forensics, MTA: 98-366, OSWP, OSCP, FJSE, ACE, PGCert, Linux+
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy from Sactown View Post
    Do you have any exam prep software / practice tests? I'd be doing a more comprehensive review at this point right before sitting the exam.
    I've spent around 4-5 hours today going over security (gpg etc). I will be doing a 45 minute exam using questions from the Robb Tracy book. I will also test myself using the Bresnahan book too. I can't think of any other ways to study for this one. My biggest weakness is remembering file locations - I find the Linux filesystem a real maze of files.

5th Dec: Final prep work.

I'll probably edit this through the day instead of making a new post.

I've just done a practice exam with the Bresnahan book and got 42/50 which is 84%. I am looking at what i've got wrong so I can fix it quickly before the exam. But these are some of the best scores i've got so far, so i'm slowly beginning to feel a bit more confident now.

EDIT: 15/20 (75%) network questions correct - /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts and /etc/nsswitch.conf all blur into one for me. I *need* to get that sorted in my head for tomorrow.

EDIT: 17/20 (85%) on Essential system services practice Q's (Bresnahan book again).

EDIT: 15/20 (75%) on X questions.

My mine is blown at the moment. I must have answered 100+ questions today and spend a good while doing so and learning why I was wrong. Going to have a little break and come back and do Security and more practice Q's.

EDIT: it's 20:36 and i've just finished 23 networking questions from Robb Tracy's book. I got 21/23 which is 91%

If the real exam is like these practice questions, I feel like I can do it. If the exam is NOT like these questions, then i'm stuffed because i've learned the questions i've got wrong and why I got them wrong.
    Last edited by si20; 12-05-2016 at 08:38 PM.
    Plans for early 2018: CompTIA Security+
    Plans for 2018/Beyond: MTA Software Development Fundamentals and see where that takes me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCDST, MCP, BSc Computer Forensics, MTA: 98-366, OSWP, OSCP, FJSE, ACE, PGCert, Linux+
    Excellent news guys! I passed the LX0-104. I got 800/800 as well. I'll be honest, I didn't feel like I got a hard set of questions. I didn't get any questions asking me about valid hosts (although I did know how to do it). I got simple questions like: "how big is an ipv6 address". I won't mention all the questions I had but none of them were ridiculously hard. I guess I was panicking a bit, I was expecting lots of X questions. I can honestly say I got no more than 5 questions on X. I mostly got security, system essentials and a number of networking questions. I had several fill in the blanks too, some of which I'd studied the night before (security).

All in all, I'd say I got lucky with my question set. That being said, I still think the LX0-104 exam is easier than the LX0-103.

Thanks for everyone following me on this journey! I hope others can read this and it'll help people. Si20, signing out! (Will be back in a few days.)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member
    Congrats! I'm happy for you!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    WOW! you didn't miss anything, whoa! great job & congrats on passing! CHEERS & HI5!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks guys!! I forgot to mention: approx 60% of quotations I had were similar (or the same) as the practice questions in Robb Tracy's book and Bresnahan's book. So if anyone is reading this and preparing for the exam, I strongly recommend you use BOTH books and do every single practice question 2-3 times and understand why it's the right answer. Doing that absolutely helped me pass today.
    Plans for 2018/Beyond: MTA Software Development Fundamentals and see where that takes me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. There is no spoon. p@r0tuXus's Avatar

Certifications
    ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCNA
    Congratulations. While I'm relatively new to the site, I can say I read all of your Linux+ exam posts and feel like I've been on a long journey that spanned most of the year (in just a few weeks). As I'm currently studying for the Linux+ exams, I found your experience of great help. Thanks for sharing and a long-overdue congratulations! You proved to yourself you could do it and in style like a boss.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks P@r0, I seriously appreciate that people have took time out to read my posts. It really has been a long journey. I paid for both vouchers in January, studied on and off for the 103 and only just passed it... Remembering 100's of switches wasn't my strong point. I've studied almost non-stop for 3 months for the 104. I don't want to downplay my score but I do feel as if I got slightly lucky with the questions. Sure, some questions were tricky, but I didn't get any serious subnetting questions which were mentioned in other threads recently.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. There is no spoon. p@r0tuXus's Avatar

Certifications
    ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCNA
    The thanks are mine! You now have a lifetime cert, sir! Don't suppose I could talk you out of those practice exam/test questions and any cheatsheets/links you used that haven't been posted yet, maybe?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by p@r0tuXus View Post
    The thanks are mine! You now have a lifetime cert, sir! Don't suppose I could talk you out of those practice exam/test questions and any cheatsheets/links you used that haven't been posted yet, maybe?
    My study resources included:

PenguinTutor Linux LPI practice exams (LPI202 and 102)
    Robb Tracy's book / practice q's in book
    Robb Tracy's cd-rom - has Total Tester with a load of questions (this was very useful)
    Bresnahan's CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide, Third Edition
    Bresnahan's practice exam

In short: I read both books. I did every single practice question and read the questions I got wrong, and figured out why I was wrong. I did it over and over so it was engrained in me. For example, if you asked me how to view a mail queue, I could instantly say 'the mailq command will show what's in the queue. If there is nothing, you will still get a message saying no mail'.

A big thing is having two VMs. I had one ubuntu and one OpenSUSE. I would use systemctl to setup openSSH and share public keys, add them to the keyring, display the keys, revoke keys etc I set up CUPS and knew the port number it used etc.

A combination of reading, practical work and extensive practice questions and reviewing answers you got wrong will help you pass this! Hope this helps!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    My study resources included:

PenguinTutor Linux LPI practice exams (LPI202 and 102)
    Robb Tracy's book / practice q's in book
    Robb Tracy's cd-rom - has Total Tester with a load of questions (this was very useful)
    Bresnahan's CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide, Third Edition
    Bresnahan's practice exam

In short: I read both books. I did every single practice question and read the questions I got wrong, and figured out why I was wrong. I did it over and over so it was engrained in me. For example, if you asked me how to view a mail queue, I could instantly say 'the mailq command will show what's in the queue. If there is nothing, you will still get a message saying no mail'.

A big thing is having two VMs. I had one ubuntu and one OpenSUSE. I would use systemctl to setup openSSH and share public keys, add them to the keyring, display the keys, revoke keys etc I set up CUPS and knew the port number it used etc.

A combination of reading, practical work and extensive practice questions and reviewing answers you got wrong will help you pass this! Hope this helps!
    I am reading:
    Robb Tracy's All in One Exam Guide - ISBN # 9780071841689
    &
    CompTIA's 3rd Ed - Bresnaham & Blum - ISBN # 9781119021216
    Will definitely go thru all questions in these books.
    I also bought CertMaster LX0-103 questions (over 700 questions) for $140...but I'm not ready to take the exam yet, but when I do, I will buy the bundle (CertMaster LX0-104 questions, Test voucher, and retake voucher)
    VM wise, I have 2 VM's with Ubuntu & CentOS that I am using to practice cmds/switches
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I can say that you're definitely doing everything right. Keep up the good work and I'll check in and follow your progress! I have no doubt you'll pass with flying colours!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Security+, Network+, Linux Essentials
    Congrats, dude. Glad to see your hard work paid off.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member
    Si20 congratulations bud! 800/800 just wow! I wish we could talk about the exams but nonetheless well done! Best of luck with everything!

shochan, you should have purchased certmaster as it is probably one of the worst preparation guides for this exam. I would strongly recommend get your money back if it's not too late and stick to the books and practice exams. Certmaster got it all wrong with Linux+ guide.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by espi_251 View Post
    Si20 congratulations bud! 800/800 just wow! I wish we could talk about the exams but nonetheless well done! Best of luck with everything!

shochan, you should have purchased certmaster as it is probably one of the worst preparation guides for this exam. I would strongly recommend get your money back if it's not too late and stick to the books and practice exams. Certmaster got it all wrong with Linux+ guide.
    Have you used their demo software? It's CompTIA's exam, so why wouldn't you not consider using it since Linux+ is a CompTIA exam? It may not be exactly the best method to study but there are limited studying resources for the Linux+ exam, except for books and actually working on different distros of Linux. How did they get it all wrong, please elaborate. Not everyone likes CompTIA exams/study material, but I want to make damn sure I pass it the first time, so I try to use as many study resources as possible. There are plenty of "mediocre" study tools, and maybe CertMaster is one of them, but from what I have used it has been a good learning experience.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    Congrats si20 and amazing score! How are things going on the job front?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
    Congrats si20 and amazing score! How are things going on the job front?
    I've got a number of applications in the pipeline, i'm just hoping that potential employers will see i've been studying this cert and have now passed it. Surely that has got to count for something! And thanks! It's a great way to see out 2016
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I've got a number of applications in the pipeline, i'm just hoping that potential employers will see i've been studying this cert and have now passed it. Surely that has got to count for something! And thanks! It's a great way to see out 2016
    Be sure to update your resume on the job boards - usually recruiters will review/notice new resume uploads. At least that is what I have noticed whenever I would update mine on CareerBuilder, Indeed, Monster.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by shochan View Post
    Be sure to update your resume on the job boards - usually recruiters will review/notice new resume uploads. At least that is what I have noticed whenever I would update mine on CareerBuilder, Indeed, Monster.
    That's a good shout! I need to do that now actually!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by espi_251 View Post

Hey Shochan,

I apologize, I let my personal feeling for certmaster get in the way. I barely passed my LX-103, I know passing is passing but I wanted to pass with good marks after investing so much time preparing for it, and I strongly believe that was due to certmaster. I made the mistake of spending majority of my time studying certmaster as it helped me retain the material and I used certmaster to make flash cards; whereas I should have spent more time studying the, CompTIA Linux+ / LPIC-1 Cert Guide: by Ross Brunson (Author), Sean Walberg, study guide as it was the only reason I passed the exam. There were SO MANY questions that certmaster didn't even cover in their modules. I was extremely disappointed and angry with myself. For that very reason, I didn't even bother logging into certmaster for lx104 exam and passed it with 750 by studying Ross & Sean's study guide and watching CBT nuggets.

What I'm trying to convey is that you please spend your time in books and less time on certmaster. I have told the same thing to my friends that if they are going to pursue Linux+ cert, just stay the heck away from certmaster and stick with the book I mentioned above.

One more tip for you, make sure you understand how to use the nice/renice, especially when/how to use the hyphen. It's not an easy exam because of memorization, but you can pass it if you invest enough time memorizing the switches and understand the other material. Also, make sure you spend time in vi practicing the keys and know the directories that are listed on the exam objective.

Hope this is somewhat helpful to you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Member

Certifications
    LPIC-1, Linux+, SUSE CLA, MCP, VCA6-DCV
    Congrats!
    Don't forget allow Comptia sent your result to LPIC. You will receive LPIC-1 automatically for free.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Member
    That's really a great news. Congratulation!. I have also scheduled my LX0-104 exam and preparing for it using uCertify online course. What study material are you using?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks