+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals

Default How long to study for Linux+

I can devote 2 hours a day, 6 days a week to study for the Linux+ exam. With that in mind, would 6 weeks per exam, 12 weeks for both, be enough time to pass Linux+?
    2017 Goals: CCNA R&S
    Certifications:
    A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Lab: 3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620Router with NM-32A module
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCSA, CompTIA (Linux+, Security+), Cisco (CCNA:R&S, Security, Wireless)
    It should be enough time. But, everyone's path to a certification will be different.

I passed Security+ the first time, and thought wow, this is easy. Yet, I've known plenty of people who fail that one.

I passed both LX-103/LX-104 on the same day, and on the first try. Yet, I failed the Red Hat Certified System Administrator exam twice before passing.

Set a goal like you did. Six weeks per exam. At the end of your first exam (LX-103), re-evaluate if you need more time or are good to go.

Best of luck in obtaining the Linux+.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCDST, MCP, BSc Computer Forensics, MTA: 98-366, OSWP, OSCP, FJSE, ACE, PGCert, Linux+
    I personally spread my Linux+ over 12 months. Actual study time: 3 months for the LX0-103 and 3 months for the LX0-104. I think it's possible in your timeframe, but 2 hours is very little time really. Don't forget, not only do you need to read the material in the book, you NEED to practice it. Having theory without practical skills is very bad indeed. I'd personally say you should read for 2 hours and practice for over an hour every day. That way you'll be getting to practice all of the commands and understand their output. Good luck!
    Plans for 2017: MTA Server Fundamentals
    Plans for 2017/Beyond: MCSA, MCSE
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    The schedule depends on how quick of a learner you are and how much effort you put into your studies. I studied for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week for about a month for the first exam LX-101, totaling 120 hours. For the second exam LX-102, I took it 3 weeks afterward with the same schedule. My total study time was about 210 hours between both exams and that was watching videos, reading, and labbing all together. I had a little bit of a hobbyist knowledge and had take about 2 Linux classes a few years earlier.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; MCSE:M 2000/2003; MCSE:S 2000/2003; MCTS:Exch2007; Security+; A+; CCNA (expired)
    That is about how long I took to study both.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 3/22/2017 - Passed Microsoft 70-412; 2/11/2017 - Completed VCP6-DCV (passed 2V0-621)
    Working on: MCSA 2012 upgrade from 2003 (to heck with 2008!!), more Linux, AWS Solution Architect (Associate)
    Thinking about: VCP6-CMA, MCSA 2016, Python, VCAP6-DCD (for completing VCIX)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks