+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Security+, CCNA, CEH

Default Which linux distro to use to study for linux+

Total newb here, barely getting my feet wet with linux. I bought a comptia cert guide off amazon, and going i to the first chapter i notice that they dont tell you what version of linux to install. Right off the bat it just assumes you already got it running, despite the chapter called "installing linux"

So is it ok if I use any distro like kali? Thx in advance
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. cdx

Certifications
    GSEC, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, MTA
    Install Virtualbox
    Install Debian (Command Line aka CLI)
    Install CentOS (Command Line aka CLI)

The test doesn't really use GUI distro's like Kali. I used Ucertify(costs provided by WGU) for Linux+

Print out Exam Objectives from Comptia Website as well.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT Security, A.A.S. Electronics Engineering Technology, ITIL V.3, A+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA (R&S, Security), MTA: 98-364
    I second the use of CentOS and Ubuntu. Link those exam objectives to the commands, and options for said commands you will be tested on.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. IOCs? What IOCs???!! jcundiff's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CRISC, ITILFv3, PCIP, RSA Archer, MSCE Win2000, A+, N+, Server+, Proj+, eBiz+,iNet+
    Quote Originally Posted by cdx View Post
    Install Virtualbox
    Install Debian (Command Line aka CLI)
    Install CentOS (Command Line aka CLI)

The test doesn't really use GUI distro's like Kali. I used Ucertify(costs provided by WGU) for Linux+

Print out Exam Objectives from Comptia Website as well.
    I am also doing the Ucertify course from WGU for Linux+, I bought a cheap laptop from my local pawnshop and wiped it and installed Ubuntu on it, and trying to use it as much as possible outside of work
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Woohoo! It's over 1000!

Certifications
    RHCSA, Linux+, ACSA, ACTC, ACSP, MCSA:7, MCTS, ITIL F, Prince2 Pract, AgilePM Practioner, VCP-DCV, Storage+, CCNA R+S, CCNA Sec, Security+, CEH, CASP
    Ubuntu/Debian and CentOS/RedHat. If you want a change, try SUSE. You will need some exposure to both the Debian flavour and the RedHat flavour to be comfortable with the exam. Longer term CentOS/RedHat is probably a good way to go if you plan on taking RHCE.
    2017 Goals - MCSA 2008, CISSP, CCNP:R+S, Agile PM
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks