+ Reply to Thread
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISM, CISSP, SSCP, Security+, Network+, A+, Linux+, Project+, NSTISSI / CNSSI 4011, 4012, 4015, and 4016

Default Passed LX0-104 today!

I'm not a Linux guy. I used to "sorta" be a Unix guy years ago, but it's been a long time. I didn't realize how much I'd forgotten until I started looking at the Linux+ cert. I didn't need this for work or anything. Wanted to try it "just because."

For LX0-103, I studied two books: the AiO by Robb Tracy and the lighthouse by Bresnahan and Blum. I also set up a couple of VMs to play in, focusing mostly on a Mint VM. I went into the exam feeling very prepared and was surprised at how hard it was and relieved to score a 550 (need a 500 to pass).

Feeling like I needed to try a different prep strategy for LX0-104, I used uCertify and CompTIA's CertMaster online prep systems. Big difference!

First, both the Tracy and the Brashahan/Blum books covered both tests, and while a lot of chapters focused all or mostly on one exam or the other, there was overlap and interlacing (especially in the Tracy book), making it a bit difficult for me to compartmentalize which material was important for which test.

The uCertify and CertMaster lessons were specifically for LX0-104 (there are also LX0-103 options, but they are distinctly separate). The books may be a good approach if you want to take both exams at the same time, but the focused uCertify and CertMaster lessons suited my needs better and I wish I would have used them for the 103 exam.

Both uCertify and CertMaster impressed me. I'd seen negative comments about both here, and I was leery to use them, but I'm glad I did. For this exam I didn't do any VM stuff, but uCertify has some command line simulations.

uCertify gave me the best overall Linux knowledge base. I think I could have passed LX0-104 just with the uCertify material.

CertMaster really prepared me for the "feel" of the test, though. The questions seemed very similar in presentation and type. I'm not sure I could have passed just using CertMaster, but I found it very helpful as a secondary prep source. I didn't realize how helpful until I was taking the test.

Together, they made the test seem pretty easy.

My score wasn't awesome or anything. Got a 680, but I finished in like 28 minutes and felt very confident that I'd done well. As I clicked through the final screens I was pretty sure I'd scored over a 700, and was surprised to only get a 680. I must have gone through some of the questions too fast (I don't review questions afterwards... I believe you either know it or you don't, so move on. In this case, I maybe should have moved a little slower, but it worked out okay).

Okay, that's my story. As always, YMMV.
    Joe
    Last edited by AverageJoe; 03-30-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member
    Congrats
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, i-Net+, Server+, Security+, MCP 70-210, Novell CNA 5.0
    CHEERS! Congrats!
    2017 -> Chillaxing & (reading C|EH - Matt Walker)
    2018 -> CCNA CyberOps (July Cohort)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. There is no spoon. p@r0tuXus's Avatar

Certifications
    ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCNA
    Congratulations! Thanks for the awesome write-up and recommendations on those testing programs and books. I'll need to incorporate as much as I can when I'm ready to prepare for the exams. I'm still slowly learning that material at the moment. Kind of got side-tracked. Can you tell me how long your time-frame for preparation was and how you focused on the rote memorization of the LX-103 exam objectives? Flash cards, apps, mnemonics?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISM, CISSP, SSCP, Security+, Network+, A+, Linux+, Project+, NSTISSI / CNSSI 4011, 4012, 4015, and 4016
    Sure, I forgot to mention that for 103 I used Mnemosyne to make my own flashcards, mostly from review questions in the books. For 104 I didn't make any flashcards or anything since CertMaster already uses memorization through repetition as its main focus. For 103 I studied about an hour a day for 2 months. For 104 I studied for about 2 hours a day for 10 days.

I think one big difference between the two exams for me is that 104 included both scripting and SQL, two areas that I'm familiar with and enjoy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    Congrats!!
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member
    Congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks