+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. coffee all day everyday. nicklauscombs's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA: Security, JNCIA-FWV, JNCIA-SSL, MCP, A+, Network+, Security+, CNSS 4011
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    But then what's the point of getting the cert if you aren't going to put it on your resume?
    what i meant above is with a "freebie" cert like that i wouldn't necessarily put it on every resume going out (especially if you are worried about HR making assumptions based on the name) but maybe mention it during an interview with a more technical person who would understand better how you got it (and maybe why you left it off in the first place).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    I also saw that press release. I am just saying that I don't know of anyone who has done the 3 for 1 deal yet so on paper yes it seems valid but I would like to see someone get all 3 certs. Maybe I will be the first around here later this year.

Also I wasn't saying it was SUSE specific, I simply said it had novel in the name. Hiring managers would assume that if you had a novel cert, then you know something about novel (directory services, SUSE, etc). I wouldn't want a cert that references a company who makes products that I have very little knowledge of or no knowledge at all on my resume. That's just my opinion. Thats like cisco making a network+ cert called cisco networking foundation cert. Regardless of whether or not it covers the IOS at all, people are going to expect you to know something about cisco boxes, even if you have never touched a cisco box simply because cisco is in the name.
    I have to disagree somewhat. If someone sees Novell Certified Linux Administrator on your resume and associates it NetWare and eDirectory, then they don't know what the CLA is, and probably didn't even read the name of the certification. In such a circumstance, it wouldn't even matter if you studied specifically for the CLA, and are a SLES expert, or obtained it free without ever touching SLES. I don't think it's fair to view the CLA negatively because of this since this could be a problem with any cert, such as if if you have a CCNP and a hiring manager assumes you should have CCVP knowledge, or if you had the CLP and a hiring manager associates that with NetWare.

The CLA is an entry level Linux cert and does not cover NetWare, and barely covers SLES specifically. Take a look at the objectives:
    Test Objectives: Novell Networking and Services for Linux

On that list I see about five SUSE-specific objectives (the YaST stuff, and installing SLES), out of 55. Even without touching SLES you should be able to pass the CLA with enough knowledge of any distribution, and rightfully so because the differences between distributions are just not that significant. If you know one Linux distribution well, then you should be able to handle any of them. Likewise, if you needed to install a package on a SLES machine one day, and you are totally stuck because you don't have yum, or if you can't install SLES because you are only familiar with installing RHEL, then you don't really know Linux that well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks