+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, GXPN, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CEH, CNDA, CPT, Security+, Network+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by NightShade03 View Post
    Good luck with the studying it looks like you are making good progress.
    Thanks .

Study Update:

• I started reading chapter two (starts with RPM, moves to YUM, and is probably going to end with tars and DPKG).
    • I've been sick the last week and have been trying to barrel through this but my body is saying slow down. I'm probably going to take a week off; I'm way ahead of schedule as it is though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    So are you no longer going for the old Linux+? Looks like you are coming along nicely. Great job!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Bl8ckr0uter View Post
    So are you no longer going for the old Linux+? Looks like you are coming along nicely. Great job!
    Thanks man. I thought the old exam would give you both. I'm still trying to aim for the same date I laid out in the beginning. If I feel uncomfortable towards the end, I'll at least get the LX101 done early and figure out how I feel about LX102 later.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue2shadow View Post
    Thanks man. I thought the old exam would give you both. I'm still trying to aim for the same date I laid out in the beginning. If I feel uncomfortable towards the end, I'll at least get the LX101 done early and figure out how I feel about LX102 later.
    Cool. What do you think of the sybex book? I am looking at the Oriley one along with the other stuff I have (Linux scripting, linux admin beginners guide) and I think it will be enough. The Oriley book doesn't come with a testing engine though
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    So far the Sybex book reminds me of the Practical Guide just smaller lol. The nice thing about the guide vs the Sybex is it gives you literally every single command and their respective outputs in the back of the book.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Objectives my friend! varelg's Avatar

Certifications
    RHCSA
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue2shadow View Post
    Thanks
    I've been sick the last week and have been trying to barrel through this but my body is saying slow down.
    Eeeeh, isn't the bug annoying it comes when you least need it, I hope you feel better, maybe it's a good- luck virus who knows
    As for the lack of test engine, you can easily and comfortably substitute poor MeasureUps and other failed "test" engines with the online free one at penguintutor, level of difficulty is very close to the real thing, at least for the LPI exams.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by varelg View Post
    Eeeeh, isn't the bug annoying it comes when you least need it, I hope you feel better, maybe it's a good- luck virus who knows
    As for the lack of test engine, you can easily and comfortably substitute poor MeasureUps and other failed "test" engines with the online free one at penguintutor, level of difficulty is very close to the real thing, at least for the LPI exams.
    Thanks for the headsup! Bookmarked.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    Study Update:
    • The cold is just about gone and I watched two more CBT videos. (18/37)
    • The burnout of the last 12 months of studying (4+ hours a day; 5 certs, 6 exams and other subjects cert related) has taken over; things aren't sticking as well as they usually do. I'm going to take a two week break and start where I left off.
    • Worst case scenario this becomes my birthday present (November) as the LPI version of the Linux+ doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.
    Last edited by rogue2shadow; 09-28-2010 at 03:29 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Objectives my friend! varelg's Avatar

Certifications
    RHCSA
    So you are basically giving up on ye olden L+. Two weeks is too long I had my downtime too, and what I saw worked is read or lab something up every day just not as long as you used to, even if it's just 15 minutes a day. Tried changing your study place? It works too.
    Good luck, by November I think you'll have the cert and will be looking for the next big challenge.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    So you are basically giving up on ye olden L+. Two weeks is too long I had my downtime too, and what I saw worked is read or lab something up every day just not as long as you used to, even if it's just 15 minutes a day. Tried changing your study place? It works too.
    Good luck, by November I think you'll have the cert and will be looking for the next big challenge.
    After I read that little blurp on CompTIA, I had no choice but to give up on it lol. My idea in the beginning was to get both L+ and LPIC-1 through the "one cert" method; I just had the wrong test in mind. The 15 minute thing is a nice alternative but the thing its literally been studying like I was all day/everyday (weekends included, no vacations; haven't worked in a year officially today). At this point, its kind of like those vacations work forces you to take when you have x amount of leave lol. Thanks for your encouragement throughout this trek.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    I'll be looking for you to pick this back up in a few weeks.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    Back on track like a hump on a camel's back.
    • This time around I'm going to read first then watch the vids after everything is said and done.
    • My goal today is to get chapters 2 and 3 done in the Sybex book.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    After much thought and further burnout, I've come to the realization that I really need to wait until I'm using Linux everyday (on the job, pretty soon) before making an attempt at this. The material itself is interesting but the deeper I get, the more branches grow on the enigmatic tree that is Linux. I'll definitely update this when I do get the first attempt out but for now I'm putting this on hold.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Objectives my friend! varelg's Avatar

Certifications
    RHCSA
    It's not THAT enigmatic, nor the exam is so deep but enjoy your time off as you probably need it after that much studying for those previous exams.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member
    It's not THAT enigmatic, nor the exam is so deep but enjoy your time off as you probably need it after that much studying for those previous exams.
    Hey are you doing LPIC-2 anytime soon? Or are you still doing MCSA?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Objectives my friend! varelg's Avatar

Certifications
    RHCSA
    I have no LPIC-2 plans in the near future, ideally would go for it just before my LPIC-1 expires. MCSA is what I am preparing for right now and am planning to sit 270 by the end of this month. I am also kind of half- looking into Novell's CLP, a hands-on no-nonsense exam.
    After taking the entry- level Linux cert, I think you'll need to settle for a particular distro and further your specialization by picking up on a technology that uses Linux as a platform, either databases, network connectivity, security or embeded systems.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member
    I have no LPIC-2 plans in the near future, ideally would go for it just before my LPIC-1 expires. MCSA is what I am preparing for right now and am planning to sit 270 by the end of this month. I am also kind of half- looking into Novell's CLP, a hands-on no-nonsense exam.
    After taking the entry- level Linux cert, I think you'll need to settle for a particular distro and further your specialization by picking up on a technology that uses Linux as a platform, either databases, network connectivity, security or embeded systems.
    You are probably right. I'll have to think about that as the time passes. As I stated before I like the LPIC-2 objectives but I don't think it would do any more for my resume than a LPIC-1 (if that makes sense).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Objectives my friend! varelg's Avatar

Certifications
    RHCSA
    Probably true, it wouldn't. And especially true if you are chasing keywords on hiring manager drones' list, 1 or 2 for them doesn't make much difference although we can attest to the contrary.
    In my view, diversity will help you in terms of diversity of solutions that you can help provide. The bottom line is customers buy solutions, there's a bit of label- buying as well but essentially it's a market for solutions. Linux as a solutions platform definitely holds potential into certain segments of the market which segments get bigger by the way, despite current lawsuit fest going on (Microsoft vs. Android and constant patent trolls vs. legitimate businesses).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks