+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: New Book Poll

Certifications
    RHCSA, JNCIA-Junos, CCNA, CCENT, MCSA (2K3), MCP, Security+, Network+, A+

Default New Book Poll

Hey all,I'm working on a new book for the Linux+/LPIC-1 exam. I am looking to get some feedback from everyone here

First question: I'm trying a new writing style by formatting the book as if you were reading a blog. Instead of chapters/sub-sections you would see categories/posts. Do you guys think this is an interesting approach? Would you read a book styled this way or is the standard chapter/sub-section preferred? I thought a "blog style" book would be more fun and interesting to read. Here is a sample to check out: LPIC-1 Sample.pdf

Second question: Are you more inclined to by the eBook for $5 or the physical book for $15? There is a big debate in IT on whether folks still prefer physical copies of books vs their eBook counter parters...so I figured I'd ask.Thanks in advance to anyone that provides feedback
    Last edited by NightShade03; 08-04-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA, CCNA:Sec, GSEC, GCIH, GCFE
    I'll hold my response on the writing style until I see it in action - Definitely an interesting concept, though. Also, I would rather pay more for a physical book.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    Sounds interesting. I really enjoyed the Art of Intrusion by Kevin Mitnick, written in a story style. I would think this would be similar.

Personally, I've found inexpensive e-books to be "not so great". If a book is available as a hard-copy, it's more likely to be taken seriously. Also, more people will buy it, which is good, because I won't buy a book unless I can read some reviews on amazon.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+
    I personally would pay the extra to get the physical copy. I have a few eBooks, and would rather have the physical copy instead for all of them.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks for the feedback all. I just edited the original post to include a sample.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Objectives my friend! varelg's Avatar

Certifications
    RHCSA
    At the time I was preparing for my LPIC-1 and looking for a guide (not so many at that time), the most that mattered to me was how well the guide corresponds to exam objectives one-for-one and how many pages are dedicated to subjects that seemed important. I ended up compiling my own prep material but passed both exams.
    Not a big fan of blog style prep guides, so many of them are out there sub par to what a candidate would actually need... The "my weekend adventure in linux land" won't exactly prepare you for the test...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by varelg View Post
    At the time I was preparing for my LPIC-1 and looking for a guide (not so many at that time), the most that mattered to me was how well the guide corresponds to exam objectives one-for-one and how many pages are dedicated to subjects that seemed important. I ended up compiling my own prep material but passed both exams.
    Not a big fan of blog style prep guides, so many of them are out there sub par to what a candidate would actually need... The "my weekend adventure in linux land" won't exactly prepare you for the test...
    This is a good point. I do feel like sometimes there are some decent posts, but they are focused on what the user is working on vs the actual exam. In the approach I'm taking each post is related to a particular exam objective and label which exam and objective it covers.

That being said the "blog style" isn't for everyone...so thanks for the honestly
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    #Cisco: NA #CompTIA: A.N.S
    Physical books are more impressive and can serve to act as scenery! much better than silver balls, and small flowers.

But an e-book is a hell of a lot easier to move with you. Whip it out, pull out Linux+ book, read chapter 1, life goes one.

To answer your question: I'd pay 15 for the physical book. Hoping the a full-sized pdf came with the book as travel-sized.
    Last edited by Roguetadhg; 08-05-2012 at 04:17 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+
    Almost every physical book I have bought has came with a CD that has the PDF on it. I guess they give you the best of both worlds type deal
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    #Cisco: NA #CompTIA: A.N.S
    I wish all my books had PDFs with them. CCNP books, for example, did not have the full book as a PDF file. Just in case I wanted to use it with an iPad/e-reader.

Likewise, my Security+ didn't come with one. I don't think my Linux+ came with one either. :\
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I agree. I also wish that all physical books came with a digital copy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    Currently Studying for MCDST
    Really enjoyed the sample chapter thought it was consise and very well laid out, easy to understand and well written,

I would buy a hard copy of this when is it due for release?
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post
    Really enjoyed the sample chapter thought it was consise and very well laid out, easy to understand and well written,

I would buy a hard copy of this when is it due for release?
    Thanks for the feedback

I'm about 50% done with the writing and targeting a late Sept release.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S
    I though the sample chapter was great. I'm not in the market for a Linux+ book, but I generally much prefer e-books to physical. I can carry a tablet around with me easily and have access to hundreds of books. Books look nice on a bookshelf, but they are generally impractical. Just get the ebook formatting right!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Zartanasaurus View Post
    Just get the ebook formatting right!!
    I'm taking extreme care to ensure the eBook is formatted properly. Nothing pisses me off more than buying a promising looking eBook only to get halfway through the first chapter and realize the formatting is completely wrong. Not only does it ruin the reading experience, but it makes the author and publisher look like an idiot!

Thanks for the feedback
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguetadhg View Post
    To answer your question: I'd pay 15 for the physical book. Hoping the a full-sized pdf came with the book as travel-sized.
    You must be a mind reader

My target is to price the eBook at $5 and the physical book at $15. The additional $10 is honestly just to cover printing costs, otherwise I'd offer them at the same price...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by NightShade03 View Post
    You must be a mind reader

My target is to price the eBook at $5 and the physical book at $15. The additional $10 is honestly just to cover printing costs, otherwise I'd offer them at the same price...
    Cool. I still prefer physical books for studying.
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    Currently Studying for MCDST
    Hey if you get the time in the future you should write a book on Linux Server Administration, and using Open Source technologies to setup a network infrastructure with a difference make the manual easy to follow and aim it at people who are making the transition from Windows.

Covering Topics such as DNS, DHCP, SAMBA, CUPS, LDAP, Mail Server, PXE Boot Server, FTP, Active Directory Intergration,

That would be awesome and I would buy it
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    @ally_uk - That would be an interesting read indeed. I'll make some notes and return to the idea when I have finished with my LPIC-1 book. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member YuckTheFankees's Avatar

Certifications
    A few..
    Add another vote for a physical book. I can't stand e-books . Good luck with the book, I will definitely buy the book when it comes out (always supporting our fellow TE'ers).

I would also like to see what the new format may look like.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by YuckTheFankees View Post
    I would also like to see what the new format may look like.
    The sample "chapter" in the first post has a sample of what the new format will look like.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguetadhg View Post
    I wish all my books had PDFs with them. CCNP books, for example, did not have the full book as a PDF file. Just in case I wanted to use it with an iPad/e-reader.

Likewise, my Security+ didn't come with one. I don't think my Linux+ came with one either. :\
    I guess I have been getting lucky. I am currently going to take my A+ exam next week, and if all goes to plan I will be studying for the Linux+ after that. I will most def buy your book when it comes out. I would rather pay a fellow TE member then amazon/random person on eBay/etc.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

That's looking good. I will buy it if it comes out before i take the Linux+ exam
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP EA, Sec +, 70-640, 642, 643, 647, 680, CCNA, and a few more i cant think of..........
    Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post
    Hey if you get the time in the future you should write a book on Linux Server Administration, and using Open Source technologies to setup a network infrastructure with a difference make the manual easy to follow and aim it at people who are making the transition from Windows.

Covering Topics such as DNS, DHCP, SAMBA, CUPS, LDAP, Mail Server, PXE Boot Server, FTP, Active Directory Intergration,

That would be awesome and I would buy it
    @Ally_uk thats an awsome idea and would prob make the OP a small fortune. I can think of a few people who would buy that.

@OP have had a quick scan through the pdf and it looks quiet good one thing I would surgest is maybe a couple more screen shots. People normally like something to look at. Geeks just like text
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Ch@rl!3m0ng View Post
    @OP have had a quick scan through the pdf and it looks quiet good one thing I would surgest is maybe a couple more screen shots. People normally like something to look at. Geeks just like text
    Thanks for the tip! I'll see what I can do about adding in more screenshots.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks