+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Certifications
    Bachelor of Science IT - Security, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, LPIC-1, A+ Net+ Sec+, Linux+ and others I don't feel are worth mentioning
    Quote Originally Posted by antielvis View Post
    Tab completion is part of the BASH shell, so no need to install it. There are add ons for BASH and VI to colorize certain links, etc, and make it a bit easier to read.
    Tab completion and bash-completion are two different things. Tab completion will auto-complete file and directory names for you. It won't auto-complete arguments to commands. That's what bash-completion does and at least on CentOS it needs to be installed as a separate rpm.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    a few
    Knowing Linux helps in the networking world nowadays. I'm working with Cisco devices that rely on RedHat OSes..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift6 View Post
    You wanted motivation..now you got it.

Linux is the so-called different to the common Windows approach. You will find a bigger resource pool of folks skilled in Windows than Linux.
    However, you will find primarily find Linux in the backends of many critical systems worldwide. It really makes the world go round.
    I apologize I didn't read every single reply because I'm busy. However, this reply really summed it up for me. Yes, Linux I think has a great web server market but you will find Window backbones everywhere. It is almost a must have skill. Linux/Unix jobs seem to be few and far between. Please correct me if I am wrong because I could be. Graduates can make good money right out of school with Windows knowledge. Linux/Unix seems to be a niche and most people aren't going to chase that. I know guys who have been doing help desk jobs for 10+ years and won't do an A+ certification because they have to renew it every few years. People are wired differently. Guys like us on this forum, see the benefit and will chase it, others have their job and are happy. To each his own.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    Currently Studying for MCDST
    I grew up with Windows started with 3.1 those were the days
    My journey began with Linux a few years ago I was told by a sysadmin / guru to build a firewall out of a old Pentium 2 rig being the young grasshopper and naive and coming from a windows world I was like

" Sure what version of win would
    You like me to install"

He looked at me bemused and replied

" Debian"

To which the cogs in my brain began to turn do I dare ask the question?

" Debian wtf is Debian? "

More questions followed

" Linux? Wtf is Linux? "

And so my journey into the world of GNU / Linux began. You can imagine my initial reactions when I first got the machine fired up a terminal prompt? Wtf is this? Where's the pretty pictures?

I was intrigued / hooked it became a hobby Whilst my other colleagues were sat on there XP boxes playing solitaire and installing drivers I was making use of my downtime, I would spend my time reading up on BASH and became a command line ninja in no time.

I put my new gained confidence to use and built a NAS old dual processor Pentium 3 rig loaded with a raid card and stacked to the rafters with ultra 320s I named my masterpiece Shinobi and it served us well for over a year

I guess I am wired differently I initially was intrigued with Linux even though I didn't know wtf is was I used to sit and watch the sysadmin do he's thing in the terminal and there was a certain awe about he's knowledge.

Windows has become my second option the reason being in comparison to Linux once you get under the hood and tinker and truly understand the power and open model and stability I have no real reason to use Windows.

Also I get something out of Linux which I don't get from windows I find it alot more interesting guess I have been bitten by the Linux bug.

Don't get me wrong I have used various Microsoft products but I really have no desire to learn there server technologies and if I needed to I can pick up windows related stuff pretty quick.

If you are feeling daunted by Linux best advice I can give knowledge takes time to acquire unless you are a god

Get hands on break stuff, experiment and enjoy if your not enjoying it dont do it
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCSE: Server Infrastructure; MCS: SVirtualization; MCSA: WS2012; ITILv3; Network+; A+
    Not scared - always been on my radar, plus I manage a dozen Linux machines at my job. I always wondered between Linux+ and LPIC-1, I know they're both 2 exams - but are they they same exact exams? If so, why would people only take the LPIC-1 instead of starting at Linux+? I've always been curious. I don't know if people assume that Linux+ is "easier" or "harder" than taking the LPIC-1...

Before my job, I had 0 experience with Linux. So I killed my machine and put Linux on it instead of Windows, and just taught myself from there.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec CCNA:Voice, A+, Project+, Sec+, Linux+, MCTS, ITIL v3, VCP-DCV
    Congratulations, you are on your way to beardliness.

I just passed LPIC-1 last month. It wasn't as hard as the CCNA composite exam but it was still pretty darn hard. LPIC-1 covers a wide range of topics. Don't care about printing and CUPS but love VI? Too bad...you need to learn CUPS. Treat those exam objectives like a bible and you will pass. And work on that beard.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. 1337sauce

Certifications
    BS, Linux+, Security+, LPIC-1, MCSE Server 2012, MCSE Desktop, MCSA Server 2008, MCTS 70-[415,681], MCTS 74-409, VCA-DCV, Novell CLA/DCTS/CNS, HDI CSR
    It wasn't as hard as the CCNA composite exam
    As I get further into my studies I have come to realize the CCNA is not near as expansive as I was assuming. L+/LPIC-1 for sure seems more difficult, and it has been more difficult than most MS exams.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec CCNA:Voice, A+, Project+, Sec+, Linux+, MCTS, ITIL v3, VCP-DCV
    Maybe I'm biased. I've been using linux for over 10 years.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+
    I'm the exact opposite. I feel way more comfortable with Linux administration than Windows. Bash = easy, Batch = what am I doing. My college is largely to blame for that since we focus a lot more on Linux.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks