+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF

Default Starting off in Linux

Hi all. I've spent a lot of time over at the CompTIA and MS forums, but I'm new to this dark side of TE .

I want to start training myself in Linux and get a few certs from it. My end goal at the moment is to become a trained sysadmin in a Windows and Linux environment. I'm currently working towards my MCSE Server 2012/2016 and then plan doing Linux after.

I would like to know where to start as I haven't had a lot of experience in it yet. I've done a few Ubuntu and Fedora VMs at home on a graphical end, and spent a year working on Redhat v5 with a bit of AIX thrown in. I wasn't trained in Redhat, but the company who hired me decided to train me for the job so they didn't have to pay a full Linux-level salary. I got a fair bit of experience in it and even made myself a little command spreadsheet .

Would it be worth going straight for the RHCSA? I don't think I need to do the Linux+, as I want to use it at an industry level and go for the big stuff. If I need to create Linux workstations I can use the experience I got from the VMs.

What would you guys recommend? I would like to hear how you guys started and what you used for training? I've seen sites like LinuxAcademy around which look useful. What would your advice be?

Thanks in advance!
    Currently working at: MCSA: Windows 10 (70-698, 70-697)
    2018/2019 Goals: MCSE: Mobility, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    Network+
    Linux Academy 3 months free from Visual Studio on TechNet
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, i-Net+, Server+, Security+, MCP 70-210, Novell CNA 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by boxerboy1168 View Post
    Linux Academy 3 months free from Visual Studio on TechNet
    Do you have an URL?
    2017 -> Chillaxing & (reading C|EH - Matt Walker)
    2018 -> CCNA CyberOps (July Cohort)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, VCA-DCV, Linux+/LPIC-1, AWS CSA, AWS Dev, AWS SysOps, Project+ [Expired: Net+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA]
    I replied similarly in another thread - I'd first recommend starting w/ "The Linux Command Line" the book -- it'll teach you basic bash commands and ends up teaching some basic scripting. From there, a Linux Academy subscription would probably be best. They have tons of topics and domains on there.
    Goals for 2017:
    RHCSA, RHCE, LFCS: Ubuntu | Project+ | AWS Certified DevOps Engineer | Learn Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, Golang | Improve Python Programming
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Network+
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyliinez92 View Post
    Hi all. I've spent a lot of time over at the CompTIA and MS forums, but I'm new to this dark side of TE .

I want to start training myself in Linux and get a few certs from it. My end goal at the moment is to become a trained sysadmin in a Windows and Linux environment. I'm currently working towards my MCSE Server 2012/2016 and then plan doing Linux after.

I would like to know where to start as I haven't had a lot of experience in it yet. I've done a few Ubuntu and Fedora VMs at home on a graphical end, and spent a year working on Redhat v5 with a bit of AIX thrown in. I wasn't trained in Redhat, but the company who hired me decided to train me for the job so they didn't have to pay a full Linux-level salary. I got a fair bit of experience in it and even made myself a little command spreadsheet .

Would it be worth going straight for the RHCSA? I don't think I need to do the Linux+, as I want to use it at an industry level and go for the big stuff. If I need to create Linux workstations I can use the experience I got from the VMs.

What would you guys recommend? I would like to hear how you guys started and what you used for training? I've seen sites like LinuxAcademy around which look useful. What would your advice be?

Thanks in advance!
    RHCSA covers a lot of the basics so that would be good for you if you have some experience with RHEL already. If you want to go the free route then building your own lab using virtual box (http://www.brianlinkletter.com/how-t...ate-a-network/) and reviewing Red Hat documentation is the way to go. If you have some money to spend you can go the Linux Academy route, which is nice because they allow you to quickly spin up and tear down servers.

Once you're confident with all of the RHCSA objectives, it would be beneficial to move on the RHCE content and finally LPIC-2 content. This will build your skill set to the level of a competent Linux systems administrator.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I'm going to skip the Linux+ and go straight for the RHCSA. I'm going to use the Linux Academy along with some resources you all mentioned. I'm also a physical learner so will most likely create a few VMs to practice with.

@Verities - Is there a handy documentation for Redhat that I can use? I'll probably follow some Youtube videos if I get stuck but having a guide with me would be helpful. I want to make sure I'm learning the right things . Also, is the RCHE harder than the CSA? And isn't the LPIC-2 part of the Linux+?

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    https://www.amazon.com/RHCSA-RHCE-Ce...=red+hat+rhcsa

This book goes through step by step on how to do everything in Red Hat. Just skimmed a little bit, haven't actually done much with it so can't say a lot it about it personally.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I'm going to skip the Linux+ and go straight for the RHCSA. I'm going to use the Linux Academy along with some resources you all mentioned. I'm also a physical learner so will most likely create a few VMs to practice with.

@Verities - Is there a handy documentation for Redhat that I can use? I'll probably follow some Youtube videos if I get stuck but having a guide with me would be helpful. I want to make sure I'm learning the right things . Also, is the RCHE harder than the CSA? And isn't the LPIC-2 part of the Linux+?
    Linux + is from CompTIA. LPIC-1/2/3 is from Linux Professional Institute. CompTIA and LPI have a current partnership for the Linux +/LPIC-1 combo; if you achieve one, you can automatically obtain the other.

LPIC-1 is the base certification for LPI

LPIC-2 is the intermediate certification for LPI

LPIC-3 is the top certification for LPI

I'm not sure what the CSA is but RHCE is a difficult exam because you have to configure a lot of things in 3.5 hours. It sounds like a lot of time until you're sitting in the exam and trying to complete all of the objectives. I haven't taken the LPIC-2 exam, but I've gone over the content for it and the objectives go much deeper than the RHCE.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkNewb View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/RHCSA-RHCE-Ce...=red+hat+rhcsa

This book goes through step by step on how to do everything in Red Hat. Just skimmed a little bit, haven't actually done much with it so can't say a lot it about it personally.
    Sander is a great author and instructor. I used only his RHEL 7 materials to pass my RHCSA 2 years ago, so I also recommend this book.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Verities View Post
    Linux + is from CompTIA. LPIC-1/2/3 is from Linux Professional Institute. CompTIA and LPI have a current partnership for the Linux +/LPIC-1 combo; if you achieve one, you can automatically obtain the other.

LPIC-1 is the base certification for LPI

LPIC-2 is the intermediate certification for LPI

LPIC-3 is the top certification for LPI

I'm not sure what the CSA is but RHCE is a difficult exam because you have to configure a lot of things in 3.5 hours. It sounds like a lot of time until you're sitting in the exam and trying to complete all of the objectives. I haven't taken the LPIC-2 exam, but I've gone over the content for it and the objectives go much deeper than the RHCE.
    Ah I understand, thanks. I meant the RHCSA but was trying to shorten it down .

Is it worth studying the latest version or Redhat? My obvious guess would be yes, but I used v5.5 at my previous job and I think v7 is out now? Is there much difference between each version?

Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    RHCE
    Ah I understand, thanks. I meant the RHCSA but was trying to shorten it down .

Is it worth studying the latest version or Redhat? My obvious guess would be yes, but I used v5.5 at my previous job and I think v7 is out now? Is there much difference between each version?
    The current versions of the RHCSA and RHCE are tested based on RHEL 7. Make sure you're using that version when studying and yes, RHEL 7 is much different than RHEL 5. When you begin your studies, you will notice the differences (mainly systemD).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    eCPPT, RHCSA, RHCE, RED HAT EX405
    I would say to skip everything else and just do RHCSA. Linux academy, Sander's book, Livelessons are good resources. Just choose one and do lots of labbing. NOthing will prepare you like a lab.
    If you manage to get RHCSA you will have a good foundation and you can learn everything else after that. It will be just a matter of time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member YuckTheFankees's Avatar

Certifications
    A few..
    If you dont mind paying for LA, I would definitely go that route since you can use their servers...and there are so many courses.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    One cool option you have, since you're already serving time in Microsoft-land, is to go for something like MCSA: Linux on Azure. If you have any interest in pursuing cloud-based training as well, you'd get your MCSE with the 70-533 exam after your 2012 journey, and another MCSA cert; all while getting some foundational Linux training in the process, which would set you up nicely for something like the RHCSA down the road. Just another option to toss out there.

MCSA 2012/2016 >> MCSE (70-533) >> MCSA: Linux on Azure (LFCS) >> World Domination

-------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks