+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 299 & 298

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Svr+, Sec+, CCNA, MCSE:S, MCITP:EA, 236

Default 299 & 298

got a 669 and a 730 on 299 and 298 respectively.

These are almost a complete review on everything covered before on 290, 291, and 293. Lots of IPSec, PKI, SUS, Wireless Sec, Encryption, Authentication, Smart Cards, and random other stuff.

298 was straight forward, I followed the advice on this site and read the questions first and then skim through the needed info. 5 testlets, varried from 5 questions to 9. I had two testlets with 5 and they were very easy considering I didn't have to skim through too much stuff. 9 Question sublets were harder as you had to skim through more information on the case study. My relatively low score makes me wonder if I missed some things. I felt ocnfiedent and didn't review any, got a 730.

299 didn't have any out of left field I felt. There were some questions I didn't know 100% and couldn't eleminate most of the correct ones so, I took a stab. Some questions were VERY easy. I got a 669 on this one. My score report indicated a 30% on Sec Policies, so I know what to re-cover. I felt I was reasonably strong on this test... The other three areas were 90%-100%. I didn't like that it was only 30 questions, seems like so few to base a cert test on. I could have just got the wrong combo of questions.

I studied maybe a dozen hours for both, everytime I would study I'd essentially be 'reviewing', so I'd do it real quick and call it gravy. I'll hit 299 again soon. I actually might start 294 and take 299 afterwards. Anyways.... two more tests to go. First MS Fail, 2nd fail overall (Svr+, damn those SCSI specs). Wasting $106 will motivate me to study more.

I fell I'll learn the most from 294 knowledge wise, can't wait.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    Congrats on the 298 pass and I'm sure you'll get 299 next time (you were very close, spend a few days on sec policies and it'll be yours for the taking).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    That's weird. I was quite confident with 299 and really unsure of 298. I guess didn't take too well to the design format.

That's neither here nor there though. I offer you my congratulations and sympathy ( / ).

I'm sure you'll nail 299 next time, and 294 will probably seem like a breeze at this point. Good luck with both of those!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCP (NT4 Server), MCSA 2000, MCSA 2003, CCNA, Security+, Network+
    Quote Originally Posted by astorrs
    Congrats on the 298 pass and I'm sure you'll get 299 next time (you were very close, spend a few days on sec policies and it'll be yours for the taking).
    +1
    Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP: EA, EMA; MCSE 2000/2003: M; MCSE 2000: S; MCSA 2000/2003: S; MCTS: ISA 2006; VCP3/4
    Or just take 70-350 or 351 and be done with it. You don't have to take 70-299 to get MCSE 2003: Security.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE 2003: Security, CCNA, CCNP
    Quote Originally Posted by HeroPsycho
    Or just take 70-350 or 351 and be done with it. You don't have to take 70-299 to get MCSE 2003: Security.
    I can't agree more. I failed 70-299 twice. I passed the 70-350 this morning. It was the 7th test and finally MCSE. I plan on taking 70-351 later on for the Security specialization.

Transcender and ISA trial software got me through 70-350. Looks like not much has changed in 2006 version except for new publishing rules.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    Quote Originally Posted by _maurice
    I can't agree more. I failed 70-299 twice. I passed the 70-350 this morning. It was the 7th test and finally MCSE. I plan on taking 70-351 later on for the Security specialization.
    Well congratulations are in order then!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Svr+, Sec+, CCNA, MCSE:S, MCITP:EA, 236
    Hmmm, I dunno. I could see taking 350/1, but I figured 299 would be easier as it's simply review(Yeah real simple since I didn't make 700). My only weak area was secpolicies, so I know where I have to review. I may consider 350, but I'd have to buy some material for it. I think I'll stick with 299 though. I just love/hate that it's only 30 qeustions, it's sweet.
    I'll start studying for 294, and review 299 whilst doing that. I may have a 2k3 MS Press pack available for sale soon!
    My confidence in 299 was about the same as 622, was pretty confident I didn't pass when I submitted. But passed 622 by a good margin.
    The 298 did seem easier, I felt more question were almost common knowledge. I did get a few domain trust questions, but I 'think' I got those ones right.

I do just have 294 left, so I'm going to study my but off for this one, and probably take it in a month, maybe sooner. Since this would be the last one, I already feel motivated to take it and pass, hopefully with my highest MS score, only have to get like an 820.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks