+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. SWM
    SWM is offline
    Senior Member SWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    293

    Certifications
    MCSE 2003, MCITP 2008, MCTS Vista, MCTS SBS2008, Blackberry Certified Server Specialist
    #1

    Default IIS 6 Date Format

    Hi Guys, a question for the IIS "nuts" sorry "experts"

    I have a SQL application with a Browser front end running under IIS6 on a SQL2000/W2003 box. I am in Australia and need a date format d/m/y, but the application shows m/d/y. The progam help desk blames IIS and indicate that they get the date format from the server and that its not coded into the appliation.

    I have logged in as Domain Admin, Local Admin, IUSR_servername and set each's regional settings to the correct country code. I have modified the metabase in IIS for the AspLCID. Modified the registry for both HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International and HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International with no success.

    Any idea's
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. SWM
    SWM is offline
    Senior Member SWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    293

    Certifications
    MCSE 2003, MCITP 2008, MCTS Vista, MCTS SBS2008, Blackberry Certified Server Specialist
    #2
    Don't you hate that. You post a question and finally solve it your self.
    Any way for any one else with a similar problem, IIS6 runs w3wp.exe on your server. W3wp.exe by default starts as a "network service" and hence used the regional settings of the network service user account.

    I configured my default application pool identity in IIS from network service to "local system". Restarted IIS and TADA all OK.

    Hope this helps someone else.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,073
    Blog Entries
    1

    Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    #3
    That's actually a really handy thing to know. Sorry there were no responses, but thanks for the tip.

    -------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

    Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

    Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. mikej412's caddy sprkymrk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    4,976

    Certifications
    MCP (NT4 Server), MCSA 2000, MCSA 2003, CCNA, Security+, Network+
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SWM
    Any way for any one else with a similar problem, IIS6 runs w3wp.exe on your server. W3wp.exe by default starts as a "network service" and hence used the regional settings of the network service user account.

    I configured my default application pool identity in IIS from network service to "local system". Restarted IIS and TADA all OK.
    Oh yeah, I was gonna say that.
    Nice tip!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. _kk
    _kk is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1
    #5

    Default Window 2003

    I have done as you said (change default application pool to 'local system') and re-started the IIS. Still no luck. any clue?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1
    #6

    Default don't change IIS user account to solve this problem

    Don't change IIS user account to solve this problem! IIS runs as network service on purpose, it is lower privilege than system.

    You are better off keeping it this way, and change the date/time format for network service (or do it for all users on the machine if its easier).

    Thanks,
    Ben Chronister
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #7

    Default Re: don't change IIS user account to solve this problem

    Quote Originally Posted by _kk
    I have done as you said (change default application pool to 'local system') and re-started the IIS. Still no luck. any clue?
    Did you also change the regional settings like he did?

    Quote Originally Posted by benchr
    Don't change IIS user account to solve this problem! IIS runs as network service on purpose, it is lower privilege than system.

    You are better off keeping it this way, and change the date/time format for network service (or do it for all users on the machine if its easier).

    Thanks,
    Ben Chronister
    Excellent point!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1
    #8

    Thumbs up Easiest Solution

    We had the same problem at work, this works for windows 7 but also in Windows server 2008

    Apply regional and language settings to reserved accounts - Microsoft Windows Help
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks