+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44
  1. Member calaverasgrandes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oakland
    Posts
    68

    Certifications
    A+, MCP (70-270)
    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by HeroPsycho View Post
    I'd still do 620 out of your own pocket. You're talking $125, plus prep material.

    Since it gains you MCTS certification, along with giving you a leg up on MCITP, I think it's worth spending your own money on it instead of bothering with the XP exam. The small price in $ you pay is worth more to you for your career, IMO.
    Again, I am highly skeptical of 620. To me it is like taking a test for Windows ME just before XP came out. I do grunt level IT everywhere in the SF bay area. From SF to Mountain View, the peninsula and Oakland. I literally see more win 2k stuff out there than Vista. Lately I am seeing win 7 everywhere. All the developers at my morning job are running win 7. I personally cant wait until 7 comes out for reals. And I cant wait until you can cert on it.
    But if you want to take the easy path I suppose 620 can fly as an elective exam for MCSE as well as the OS exam for a few others. If you are doing home user support than I guess 620 makes sense as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #27
    It's a requirement for the MCITP: EA.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,941

    Certifications
    MCITP: EA, EMA; MCSE 2000/2003: M; MCSE 2000: S; MCSA 2000/2003: S; MCTS: ISA 2006; VCP3/4
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by calaverasgrandes View Post
    Again, I am highly skeptical of 620. To me it is like taking a test for Windows ME just before XP came out.
    I'm confused. You're saying getting certified in Vista is bad because it will be obsoleted by Win7 certifications when they become available, and to fix this, you should get certified in WinXP?!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Member calaverasgrandes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oakland
    Posts
    68

    Certifications
    A+, MCP (70-270)
    #29
    Thats just what my experience tells me. I dont see any vista anywhere. Everybody I know in IT hates vista. Not a single client I have talked to is even considering adopting it as an enterprise wide os. Its the classic case of "no killer app".
    Win 7 looks really good so far, and may be able to get away from the stink of vista. In a year or two I can see some places wanting to migrate to 7, if for no other reason than because XP will actually, finally completely be dead and unsupported by MS.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,447

    Certifications
    B.S. Tech Management, Network+, Server+, 70-680, 70-620, JNCIA-Junos
    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by calaverasgrandes View Post
    Thats just what my experience tells me. I dont see any vista anywhere. Everybody I know in IT hates vista. Not a single client I have talked to is even considering adopting it as an enterprise wide os. Its the classic case of "no killer app".
    Win 7 looks really good so far, and may be able to get away from the stink of vista. In a year or two I can see some places wanting to migrate to 7, if for no other reason than because XP will actually, finally completely be dead and unsupported by MS.
    You won't likely see two operating systems come and go and not be adopted. Companies are eventually going to use Windows 7 either because they want to, or because they have to. A lot of what you can learn about in Vista will carry over to Windows 7, that's why it's a sensible choice.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,072
    Blog Entries
    1

    Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    #31
    Quote Originally Posted by calaverasgrandes View Post
    Again, I am highly skeptical of 620. To me it is like taking a test for Windows ME just before XP came out. I do grunt level IT everywhere in the SF bay area. From SF to Mountain View, the peninsula and Oakland. I literally see more win 2k stuff out there than Vista. Lately I am seeing win 7 everywhere. All the developers at my morning job are running win 7. I personally cant wait until 7 comes out for reals. And I cant wait until you can cert on it.
    But if you want to take the easy path I suppose 620 can fly as an elective exam for MCSE as well as the OS exam for a few others. If you are doing home user support than I guess 620 makes sense as well.
    Vista's been pretty widely adopted by companies that are willing to spend the money on hardware, especially here in the Bay Area. My last employer, my current employer, and just about all the partner companies we work with use Vista Business or Ultimate as their standard workstation OS. Smaller places, or "low tech" places that may not employ internal IT tend to shy away from new things. As for issues, there have been some. Then again, I remember the nightmare days of XP just after it launched, so it hasn't been much different for me.

    Either way, don't be too scared off by the hype that Vista is "just bad". If you want to wait for the Windows 7 exams, there's nothing wrong with that, but you'll have to wait until about 30 days after Windows 7 is released to the market; it just doesn't sound like you have that much time to wait. Having played with the Beta of 7, I don't see it as much different than Vista with some cooler features, and you can benefit a lot more from training on Vista and going to 7, than training on XP and making the much bigger leap to 7. (This is especially true if you haven't done any work with Vista; you'll be behind when it comes to working with Windows 7 once it's out of Beta.)

    -------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

    Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

    Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Member calaverasgrandes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oakland
    Posts
    68

    Certifications
    A+, MCP (70-270)
    #32
    Really, which companies are these that are adopting Vista? I've worked at south bay and peninsula biopharm companies with lots of funding and decent IT depts. Also done some work for some banks with rather sophisticated IT, and a client which covers enough points of entry to the US that I hade to get homeland security clearance. None of them had a vista. Maybe at software development companies?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,072
    Blog Entries
    1

    Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    #33
    Quote Originally Posted by calaverasgrandes View Post
    Really, which companies are these that are adopting Vista? I've worked at south bay and peninsula biopharm companies with lots of funding and decent IT depts. Also done some work for some banks with rather sophisticated IT, and a client which covers enough points of entry to the US that I hade to get homeland security clearance. None of them had a vista. Maybe at software development companies?
    Mind Control Software, EA, Nacio Systems, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, College of Marin, Santa Rosa Junior College, EndSight Inc., 2K Games, Lucas Arts, Pixar, Autodesk, and quite a few others have begun or have already adopted both Vista and Server 2008. Like I said, the companies that are willing to spend the money on the hardware to run newer software. Not all companies will make the move, especially if they spent a significant chunk of change on deploying an XP-based environment to specific standards, such as the one you mentioned that uses the Department of Homeland Security standards. Other companies, ones that moved up or secured themselves after Vista launched, would be using Vista. A great place to see companies that are working to bring bring NSA-level security to Vista is at the RSA Security Conference, for example.
    Last edited by Slowhand; 03-10-2009 at 08:31 PM.

    -------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

    Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

    Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Virtual Member undomiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    2,813

    Certifications
    MCSA:2008, VCP4/5, CCA (XS), MCITP: EA/VA, MCSE, MCSA, Linux+, Security+, Server+, A+
    #34
    At my previous position (state government department) we were preparing to roll out Vista. It's probably been finished or is almost done by now. I wouldn't be surprised if Vista started picking up some steam about now, especially with SP2 looming on the horizon.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    297

    Certifications
    A+, Network +, MCSE 2003, CCNA:S, VCP 4
    #35
    Quote Originally Posted by undomiel View Post
    At my previous position (state government department) we were preparing to roll out Vista. It's probably been finished or is almost done by now. I wouldn't be surprised if Vista started picking up some steam about now, especially with SP2 looming on the horizon.
    And also with Dell and HP forcing you to buy Vista. They charge us a $130 "downgrade" fee if we want XP, per computer.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    59
    #36
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    I passed my network+ exam on Saturday, and I am going to be starting on the Microsoft certs, and I am looking into buying these questions, and I am wondering if they are a good buy or not. I've heard for the 70-270 exam its best just to start taking practice exams; vs. spending time studying.

    MCSE Test 70-290 70-291 70-284 12n1 EXAM QA PDF+SIM+LAB - eBay (item 280312869298 end time Mar-14-09 16:45:04 PDT)

    I'd say start of by using practice exams and go through every single question in the exam. When you read the explanation back up this information, by researching it from the book and the Web. This is a much quicker way to learn, reading the books from cover to cover won't stick in your memory.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Member Extraordinaire genXrcist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    531

    Certifications
    CCNA:V MCITP:EA/EMA2K10 MCSE:S MCSA:M MCDST A+/Net+/Sec+
    #37
    Quote Originally Posted by cbriant View Post
    I'd say start of by using practice exams and go through every single question in the exam. When you read the explanation back up this information, by researching it from the book and the Web. This is a much quicker way to learn, reading the books from cover to cover won't stick in your memory.
    Perhaps it doesn't stick in your head. So what about all the information that isn't covered on the exam that is in the book, that you might need in the real world?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Passion For IT
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    569

    Certifications
    MCTS, MCITP, MCP, A+, Server+, Security+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA-Sec, CEH, CHFI
    #38
    A lot of what is on the exam isn't the way it is done in the real world. It's Microsoft's way. There are so many third party tools and "shortcuts" that we take that are contridictions to Microsoft's way that is tested on the exam.

    The book and practice exams are for passing the exam. Your experience and knowledge are what you use in the real world.

    But, I'd say read the book first to get the general concepts. Maybe you won't remember them, maybe you will. But, then go through the exams and look things up as suggested. It will reinforce what you read in the book and things will stick better. And, sometimes it won't click right with what you read online or in the exams. The book may have a better explaination for it that works with you. I've found that sometimes 5 sources are confusing to me, and I find one gem of a site (or article or how-to...) that explains it so I can understand it fully. The more resources you have, the better you'll be in the long run. Just do what works for you. There are some people that can read a book and understand and retain everything in it. I'm not like that. I'm a hands on person. I can read and read and not get it. I can do it once and I an golden. Others are the complete opposite.

    And I hope the MCSA is doable in 6 months, because I have 3 months to do the 290 and the 291 (the 620 and A+/Net+ are already out of the way!). Free exams from MS for taking the pilot exam. Study, study, study is my motto lately. Just set the goal and GO FOR IT. You'll do it if you are determined and very goal oriented. It's there, waiting for you to go get it. Do it. You'll make it, and come September, you'll be posting here with the topic "MCSA: Done in 6 months!".

    Don't even need to say it, because luck doesn't have anything to do with it: Good luck, man!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Member Extraordinaire genXrcist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    531

    Certifications
    CCNA:V MCITP:EA/EMA2K10 MCSE:S MCSA:M MCDST A+/Net+/Sec+
    #39
    Quote Originally Posted by PC509 View Post
    And I hope the MCSA is doable in 6 months, because I have 3 months to do the 290 and the 291 (the 620 and A+/Net+ are already out of the way!). Free exams from MS for taking the pilot exam. Study, study, study is my motto lately. Just set the goal and GO FOR IT. You'll do it if you are determined and very goal oriented. It's there, waiting for you to go get it. Do it. You'll make it, and come September, you'll be posting here with the topic "MCSA: Done in 6 months!".

    Don't even need to say it, because luck doesn't have anything to do with it: Good luck, man!
    +1 Well said.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. New Member royal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,373
    #40
    MCSA is doable in 1 day. That is of course you have experience. MCSA in 6 months means squat. Do you plan on spending 1 hour a month or 3 hours a day for 6 months? Catch my drift? With no certs, a good head on your shoulder where IT stuff comes naturally to you, you can easily get MCSA in 6 months.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    19

    Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, MCP: 70-290, MCTS: 70-620, 70-642, A+, Net+
    #41
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    I passed my network+ exam on Saturday, and I am going to be starting on the Microsoft certs, and I am looking into buying these questions, and I am wondering if they are a good buy or not. I've heard for the 70-270 exam its best just to start taking practice exams; vs. spending time studying.

    MCSE Test 70-290 70-291 70-284 12n1 EXAM QA PDF+SIM+LAB - eBay (item 280312869298 end time Mar-14-09 16:45:04 PDT)
    It's likely a dump, and as other have stated you do yourself no favors in studying with dump material, anyone can memorize the answers.

    The best studying is always hands on, I usually combine my home VMWare lab with books (usually the MS or Cisco Press books, but I like Sybex as well) and I learn better with visual aid so I always watch the CBTNuggets or Trainsignal videos.

    An MCSA in 6 months is very doable, especially since you already have the Security plus and remember when you set up a lab environment and test out the interactions of installing the server components and the clients you are basically studying for all 3 exams at the same time.

    Personally, I found 70-290 to be a breeze, 70-270 was a ***** (know command line switches for this one), and I never took 70-291, although I just annihilated it's 2008 equivalent on Saturday (but everyone I've spoken with said its easier than the 03 track.)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    19

    Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, MCP: 70-290, MCTS: 70-620, 70-642, A+, Net+
    #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
    Mind Control Software, EA, Nacio Systems, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, College of Marin, Santa Rosa Junior College, EndSight Inc., 2K Games, Lucas Arts, Pixar, Autodesk, and quite a few others have begun or have already adopted both Vista and Server 2008. Like I said, the companies that are willing to spend the money on the hardware to run newer software. Not all companies will make the move, especially if they spent a significant chunk of change on deploying an XP-based environment to specific standards, such as the one you mentioned that uses the Department of Homeland Security standards. Other companies, ones that moved up or secured themselves after Vista launched, would be using Vista. A great place to see companies that are working to bring bring NSA-level security to Vista is at the RSA Security Conference, for example.
    My company is in the middle of upgrading everything. In fact that are only paying for exams on the 08 track.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Senior Member KoolTrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    130

    Certifications
    A+ N+ S+ MCSE CCNA
    #43
    I got A+/Net+/Sec+/MCP/MCSA all in 3 weeks..

    so um.. yeah 6months is doable
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Special Ed.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    152

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, MCSA 2003 (70-270)
    #44
    Finished up my MCSA today. Started in December and finished at end of march. Took some time off around christmas and new year and dragged my feet at the beginnining - all in all - 4 months.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks