+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Certifications
    B.S. Degree CIS, MCSE 2003, MCITP: Exchange 2010, Sec+, Net+

Default MCSA in 6 months doable?

I just a got a new job and I have to get my MCSA, Security+, and Network+ in 6 months or else I loss my job. I've been there for about 6 weeks now, and I passed the Security+, and I am taking the Network+ next weekend. Then I am gonna start with 70-270 exam. Is it possible to get all of these certifications in just six months?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    It's a function of what you already know and how much time you can dedicate to studying.

That being said, it's definitely doable.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I have to agree. A MCSA Cert in 6 months can definately be done.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    What sort of experience do you have? There's a lot of overlap between 270 and 290, so that pretty much leaves 291 as the big one. One exam per month isn't too bad.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. One Man Wolfpac NetAdmin2436's Avatar

Certifications
    AAS in Computer Networking, MCSE 2003, Network+, Security+, A+
    It's definitely do-able if your dedicated (I guess losing your job would of course be a motivator ). Experience of course would be a huge help but you can do it regardless. Plan on studying virtually every day and having less of a social life Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Special Ed.

Certifications
    A+, Network+, MCSA 2003 (70-270)
    I started at the beginning of December. Got my A+, Network+, 70-270, and 70-290 in 3 months. It's definitely possible!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCITP:EA, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS, MCP, 70-121, 70-134, 71-505
    Yeap that's very do-able. I completed my MCSE in 5 1/2 months. The one thing you will need to do is get in plenty of practise. Realistically this means getting a home lab set up. The chance of you encountering enough of the right sort of situations to prepare you for MCSA in a work environment is slim, and its even slimmer if you're hoping to be the one dealing with them.
    Grab yourself a spare PC and stick Server 2003 on it and have a play. Its by far the best way of learning
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    None?
    Lighten your load buddy, dont do 70-270 and do 70-620 which is much easier and applies toward your MCSA.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Member
    I did my MCSA in a year with distractions in between....if you study at a steady pace, you can definitely do the MCSA in a year
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Nidhoggr, the Net Serpent Claymoore's Avatar

Certifications
    AWS Architect, MCSEx3, MCITPx6, MCTSx17
    Sure, but what are you going to do with the other 4 months?

It just depends on your experience and the amount of quality time you can dedicate to studying. If you have been working with XP/2003/Vista for a few years in a corporate environment it should be no problem for you to study up to get into exam shape and pass the tests. If this is relatively new to you, then expect to spend a lot of time in the lab or hitting the books. Since your employer is requiring you to get certified, is he providing time and resources to prepare for the exams?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCSA: Win2003, Network+, A+,
    I believe that it is doable. You would really have to dig in there, but yes, I believe that it can be done.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Network+, Security+, Server+, MCSA 2003, MCITP: EDST Win 7, MCITP: EA 2008, LPIC-1
    Yeah, you can do it. Skip the XP exam and do Vista instead.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA 2k3 (270/290/291/293), Sec+, Net+, Server+, A+, Cert. in EE
    Total time for me in the MCSA path so far is 4-5 months total ( 291 is this week). The holidays and work have gotten me behind my scheduled timeframe. I would say that it is very doable, especailly if normal "life" doesn't get in the way of studying, as in job, family, gaming, pimping, and such.... LOL.

If your experience is in a vast amount, this should be an easy task. The main thing would be if you can retain the info learned/tested on in that short amount of time if your experience is limited.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member

Certifications
    NET+, A+, Linux+, Sec+, MCSA (2003) A.S. Computer Science

Cool Nothing like a threat!

With motivation like that what choice do you have.

Are they paying for the certifications?

I wish I would get a threat like that. I might just get off my Ass.

Study for 291 vs. GTA IV

GTA IV seems to always win.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Member Extraordinaire genXrcist's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA:V MCITP:EA/EMA2K10 MCSE:S MCSA:M MCDST A+/Net+/Sec+
    Assuming I pass the 70-291 this month I will have earned A+, Net+, MCDST, CCNA and the MCSA 2K3 in 7 mos.

I was of course, unemployed for 5 of those months but I would still say it's doable.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks everyone for all of your input. I feel pretty confident about how getting MCSA. I just found out that I can use my Security+ to fulfill my elective requirement, so that's one less exam that I need to take.

I little bit about my background, I have a BS in information systems, I've passed the CISSP exam (which was a major beast that I never want to have to go through again) and I am currently waiting to fulfill the experience requirement, I've been working with Server 2003 and Active Directory for the past 3.5 to 4 years; and I have server 2003 running in vmware.

I have to take the 70-270 exam in order to get reimbursed for the exam, since we don't run vista and no desire to run it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member
    Dude, why'd you even bother asking? You have it in the bag for sure
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE: Server 2003, TS: Exchange Server 2007 Configuration

Default I did it today

I started my first course in October of 2008 and I finsihed the 291 one today to be come a MCSA. Less than 6 months.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCP (70-270)
    Quote Originally Posted by bsddaemon0 View Post
    Yeah, you can do it. Skip the XP exam and do Vista instead.
    I kind of wonder about this. I have heard other people say it is better to go with 620 as well. But I dont see ANY Vista boxes at any place I have worked at since Vista debuted. Okay one or two places had Vista running on a laptop or a GX270 over in the corner of the IT room. But you go out in the cubicles and you see more Macs than Vista boxes.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA:2008, VCP4/5, CCA (XS), MCITP: EA/VA, MCSE, MCSA, Linux+, Security+, Server+, A+
    It's advised mostly because it meets an MCSE and MCITP requirement at the same time and also because it is an easier exam (I've taken both, it is definitely much easier). Taking the 720 will go far in preparing you for the 290. Taking the 620 is just kind of the odd one at as there isn't too much that is relative to a domain environment. But saving money on exams is a good thing. Just study hard to make up for it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I passed my network+ exam on Saturday, and I am going to be starting on the Microsoft certs, and I am looking into buying these questions, and I am wondering if they are a good buy or not. I've heard for the 70-270 exam its best just to start taking practice exams; vs. spending time studying.

MCSE Test 70-290 70-291 70-284 12n1 EXAM QA PDF+SIM+LAB - eBay (item 280312869298 end time Mar-14-09 16:45:04 PDT)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCP (70-270)
    I would say the opposite. I drove myself nuts with practice exams for months. constantly second guessing stuff and running in cirlces re-studying stuff that I was flunking on practice exams. When I took the 70-270 I just approached each question logically and got a good (not great) score. If you just practice tests how will you learn the core material?
    OTOH the Microsoft press book for 70-270 is about 1400 pages? Well its as thick as my other MSP book thats 1500 pages but it doesnt have sequential page numbers. Maybe get the Sybex book and an exam cram book?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:CP&I, SI, MCITPx2, MCSAx2, MCTSx7, VCP6/5/4/3(DCV), EMCISA, Sec+, ITILv3F, legacy MS
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    I passed my network+ exam on Saturday, and I am going to be starting on the Microsoft certs, and I am looking into buying these questions, and I am wondering if they are a good buy or not.
    MCSE Test 70-290 70-291 70-284 12n1 EXAM QA PDF+SIM+LAB - eBay (item 280312869298 end time Mar-14-09 16:45:04 PDT)
    No, they aren't. These are likely to be dumps which wont do you any favours at all. Memorising a bunch of Q's and A's is a waste of time, understanding the material is key.

I'd go for the MS Press/Sybex book (see each forum for the best recommendations) plus CBT Nuggets (if you can afford them) and use a respected testing software vendor such as Transcender.

Good luck with the MS exams!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. One Man Wolfpac NetAdmin2436's Avatar

Certifications
    AAS in Computer Networking, MCSE 2003, Network+, Security+, A+
    I agree with bertieb, that is likely a brain dump.

Unless you have many years experience, practice exams alone are not going to be enough. I always recommend multiple study resources. Get a book (MS Press and Syngress are great), go through the Technotes, setup a lab and go through the exercises in the book, then finally go through some practice questions to see your weak areas.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP: EA, EMA; MCSE 2000/2003: M; MCSE 2000: S; MCSA 2000/2003: S; MCTS: ISA 2006; VCP3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    I have to take the 70-270 exam in order to get reimbursed for the exam, since we don't run vista and no desire to run it.
    I'd still do 620 out of your own pocket. You're talking $125, plus prep material.

Since it gains you MCTS certification, along with giving you a leg up on MCITP, I think it's worth spending your own money on it instead of bothering with the XP exam. The small price in $ you pay is worth more to you for your career, IMO.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks