+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Certifications
    A+,Net+,Server+,Sec+, MCP,MCSA:M/MCSE 2k3, CCNA,CCNA SEC,CCDA,CCDP, CCNP, MCTS, MCITP
    Quote Originally Posted by rwwest7 View Post
    My only concern would be how much of this 3 month cram session would I remember a year from now. I like to take my time and really learn the material, not just get it into my head long enough to pass a test then move on. There's nothing better then when my boss, who has many more "certs" than me, can't figure something out and has to come to me for a solution.
    if you dont use it you lose it samething a bodybuilding thats why i keep working out too other wise i would lose all the gains
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP: EA, EMA; MCSE 2000/2003: M; MCSE 2000: S; MCSA 2000/2003: S; MCTS: ISA 2006; VCP3/4
    I got MCITP: Enterprise Administrator honestly in 3 months of real honest studying while being employed full time. (It took me like 9 months because I did a six month PowerShell detour. ) Granted, I took an upgrade exam, but that's still 3 exams worth of material to learn there, plus 620 and 647.

This is totally possible without brain dumps, guys, especially if you have good prior experience.

Congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network +, MCSE 2003, CCNA:S, VCP 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ilcram19-2 View Post
    if you dont use it you lose it samething a bodybuilding thats why i keep working out too other wise i would lose all the gains
    Or if you cram for a week, take a test, then start cramming for another test you lose it a lot faster. The OP even admitted to skipping all the excercises and just reading through. But hey, you only cheat yourself in the end. All I'm saying is bragging about earning a cert in only a few weeks doesn't impress me at all, because it's not hard to do if you just cram and then get your paper cert.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP: EA, EMA; MCSE 2000/2003: M; MCSE 2000: S; MCSA 2000/2003: S; MCTS: ISA 2006; VCP3/4
    Or if you cram for a week, take a test, then start cramming for another test you lose it a lot faster. The OP even admitted to skipping all the excercises and just reading through. But hey, you only cheat yourself in the end. All I'm saying is bragging about earning a cert in only a few weeks doesn't impress me at all, because it's not hard to do if you just cram and then get your paper cert.
    I didn't do any hands on exercises in my book for Exchange 2003 because I worked with Exchange 2003 extensively and had already done them all on the job. I can assure you my Exchange 2003 cert isn't paper.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by mad82 View Post
    I knew that I had my second chance voucher for every single exam so I went in reviewing the material (I did not even do the lesson reviews at the end of the lessons) with the intention of learning what was on the exams that I didn't know so I could go back and study that more in depth. As it turned out, I didn't know everything since I never made more than 900 but I knew enough from experience, my review, and good test taking skills to pass and frankly that's all that matters to me. My transcript from MS shows passes, not scores.

Yes I could have spent several months reading, taking practice tests, reviewing white docs and going in and getting a 1000 but why?
    Would you want your doctor saying " Yes, I could've spent months reading, doing labs, and learning and got an A instead of a C-, but why bother? I knew enough to pass the exams, that's all that matters"
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, MCSE, MCITP:EA
    Would you want your doctor saying " Yes, I could've spent months reading, doing labs, and learning and got an A instead of a C-, but why bother? I knew enough to pass the exams, that's all that matters"
    So you'll have a doctor straight out of med school that made A's by studying for years perform surgery on you than one that has been doing the work for several years and didn't need to study as hard?

People on this board talk about how much experience is worth but when somebody actually passes the test by relying on that same experience, my passing isn't worth as much?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, MCSE, MCITP:EA
    By the way, thank you to everybody that has congratulated me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+,Net+,Server+,Sec+, MCP,MCSA:M/MCSE 2k3, CCNA,CCNA SEC,CCDA,CCDP, CCNP, MCTS, MCITP
    do what now?, so you are saying you remember every single subject of every test u've took, is no ones fall but yours if you wanna waste your time for a "test", plus hope you know that a cert doesnt mean more than what it is a cert is just something that you should have if you want to be in this field
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member
    So you'll have a doctor straight out of med school that made A's by studying for years perform surgery on you than one that has been doing the work for several years and didn't need to study as hard?
    But... what about the people he gained experience with over those years?

People on this board talk about how much experience is worth but when somebody actually passes the test by relying on that same experience, my passing isn't worth as much?
    Correct. Your exam scores define your entire worth as a human being

Edit: Ilcram, I honestly respect your IT knowledge a great deal, but how in the world can capitalization and punctuation completely escape you?
    Last edited by dynamik; 05-13-2009 at 06:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    That implies scoring 1000 on an exam means the skills you acquired in order to score 1000 are more valuable than someone's who scores a 700. I've never scored 1000 on a Microsoft exam. But I also know stuff that's not really exam material. There's not a single exam on scripting for example. Exam questions on clustering for example are very basic, and I guarantee you I know more about Exchange clusters than most people with MCSE: Messaging or MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator. I couldn't care less if they scored higher than me on the exam.

I've met a few people in person who have scored 1000. Trust me when I say you'd want me designing/admining your infrastructure over those individuals, and I don't mean that in a conceited fashion. I'm not dogging people who get 1000's. Great for them. I don't think that makes anyone automatically a better IT Pro.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications

If you honestly passed the exam, while acquiring a deep understanding of the material, and can apply it without cheating, it's worth every bit as anyone else's. I see nothing in your posts that would indicate you did otherwise, so congrats.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    I've mostly ignored this thread thus far but this latest batch of posts irritated the hell out of me...

So basically you've just told me I have a paper MCSE since I did mine in 45 days completely ignoring the more than a decade of experience I've had in IT - since to you real world experience accounts for less than reading chapters in a book. Also, I did my CCA without a single minute of studying or any prep whatsoever and scored around 90%, so I guess I guessed all the right answers there too. Grow up and get some perspective.

mad82, like HeroPsycho, dynamik and others have said: congrats on the pass and welcome to the forums.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCP: 70-270, 70-290, CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Wireless
    That's crazy man!
    Congrats.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    Bragging that you "got your MCSE in 3 months" infers that you've only been working with the material for 3 months. If you have 3 yrs in as a sys admin, then it's taken you 3 yrs and 3 months to achieve it. If you've never touched a computer, then get your MCSE in 3 months then yes you are a paper cert. But if you have 10 years experience in IT, then earn your MCSE in 45 days...you didn't actually earn it in just 45 days.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    Let's put on the brakes here for a second and get a little perspective. Working in the field and studying for an exam are not the same things but the material you study can, and often does, overlap with the things you work with every day. There are a lot of people saying that there's no retention when doing the tests back-to-back like this, and that's often true when you go from zero to MCSE in a few weeks or even a few months. However, if you're an experienced admin that decides, "I'd better get certified," and you read through the books to fill in the gaps of your knowledge, I'm fairly sure that's a different experience than the newbies going to boot-camps or someone scraping by with only reading the book and figuring out how to answer exam questions.

If you like working with your hands and rebuilding engines, then go to school to become a mechanical engineer, you spent the amount of time it took to get your degree to get your degree; you didn't spend the time it took to get your degree plus all those years you worked as a mechanic to get your degree. Nor is it somehow a cheapened experience for someone who has tons of experience in a particular field to use that existing knowledge to cut down on study time, regardless of whether it's for school or for certs, as long as that person can demonstrate the skills and knowledge the cert or degree in question reflects.

I spent several years building and fixing computers before I took my A+ cert. I studied for about half a day before taking the exam because I brought a lot of knowledge to the table already. I didn't spend those several years with the A+ in mind, but rather in the pursuit of general knowledge and a decent paycheck, so you can't really say, "Slowhand spent three years and half a day studying for his A+." 80% - 90% of the book I got from my employer to study from was old news to me, but I did learn a few new things and some handy tricks to help me both on the tests and on the job. Does that mean my A+ is somehow less valid because I only spent a few hours formally studying for it, or because I already knew most of what I needed to pass? I don't know what you all may think, but I certainly don't think I'm missing some crucial element every other A+ certified tech out there has, (especially when I have the same knowledge, experience, and have worked on the same equipment).

I took my A+ in a day, and if I had the same relative amount of experience and skill with Cisco networks that I do with stand-alone microcomputers, I'd take the CCIE R&S written and lab exams over a weekend.

-------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    Bragging that you "got your MCSE in 3 months" infers that you've only been working with the material for 3 months. If you have 3 yrs in as a sys admin, then it's taken you 3 yrs and 3 months to achieve it. If you've never touched a computer, then get your MCSE in 3 months then yes you are a paper cert. But if you have 10 years experience in IT, then earn your MCSE in 45 days...you didn't actually earn it in just 45 days.
    To be clear, I'm not congratulating him for doing anything amazing. I'm simply congratulating him for getting his MCSE in what appears to be a legitimate manner. Couldn't care less the chronology of his exam passes.

Saying you took the exam in three months doesn't imply a darn thing about how long you've worked with the product.

There are far bigger fish to fry in the world than flaming a guy because he bragged he passed MCSE exams (for the record, bragging at worst in his original post was moderate) legitimately in three months.

Pick your battles, dude. This one would be best to just not comment if it bothered you apparently as much as it does.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    Quote Originally Posted by astorrs View Post
    No, don't do that. There's an appropriate, measured response for a situation like this:

ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCITP EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA, VCP 5, CCA, CCEE, CCIA, CCE-V
    Congrads. I did mine in about 6 months. I was going to go for CCNA but that is on hold until I finish up my Bachelors first and then my Masters. I am going to get the upgrade exams out of the way since I only have two to take.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Actually I been a network administrator for 8 years and desktop tech for 7 years before that and I never took one of my certs before this year. I barely studied for some of my exams and passed them because of real world expierence i have had with the stuff. Yes he is right there are some things on the exam you have to study for because they are not used in the real world like RRAS but I remember alot of this back when setting up RAS on windows NT 4. Not much has changed just basically the handshaking protocols.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+,Net+,S+,MCSA:S & MCSE:S 2k3,MCITP:SA/EA, CCNA:Security/RS/DC,CCNP DC, CCIE RS 51060
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdruin View Post
    Our forest has 176 domains and well over 1000 sites. We use every conceivable MS product out there. Even with my MCSE, I feel like a total moron in this huge environment. Yes, there are environments that set you up for success on the MCSE. BTW, we have one of the 5 largest Server 2003 forests recorded by Microsoft.

geez, what company is that?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+,Net+,S+,MCSA:S & MCSE:S 2k3,MCITP:SA/EA, CCNA:Security/RS/DC,CCNP DC, CCIE RS 51060
    congrats OP!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCSA: Win2003, Network+, A+,
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmypizzle83 View Post
    I would like to know that too.

Mad82... Congrats. Now I know where to send all of my MCSE questions to. Expect a lot of notes in your techexams message box. hahaha. But for real, congratulations!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA 2k3 (270/290/291/293), Sec+, Net+, Server+, A+, Cert. in EE
    I think that within IT this is the equivalent of talking politics or religion. LOL. Since most people invest in a lot of time studying, for varying reasons and with various amounts of hands on experience, there can be a certain amount of "knee jerk" reactions. We see quite a few people ""bragging", braindumpers don't help, so when a person places a time frame and then the big MCSE thrown in there it automatically gets lumped into the BS category.

Personally, I have a lot of hands on experience and now studying in depth for MS's administration, a lot of the pieces are falling into place. I have met people who can read something once and it nevers leaves them. I fall into the category of having to read and then reread for things to sink in as I am getting older, I think I have CRS or something, so my first impression in a case like this "BS." Then I fall back, regroup, and realize everyone's capabilites are vastly different, so really...who am I to judge.

As we all know, if it ain't legit, that's their reputation and everything comes out in the wash. With that said, congrats and welcome to the forums!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmypizzle83 View Post
    I love to know myself. There is only one company I seen this and they where Partner of Microsoft. I do not even think Microsoft uses every product they have in house.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks