+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 71
  1. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    18

    Certifications
    CCNA, MCSE, MCITP:EA
    #1

    Talking MCSE finished in 3 months

    70-270 - 02/04/09
    70-290 - 03/26/09
    70-291 - 03/30/09
    70-620 - 04/13/09
    70-293 - 04/27/09
    70-294 - 05/05/09
    70-297 - 05/12/09

    I did well for all the test but I passed 297 with a 700 just a few hours ago. The style was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Mainly used the MS Press books, cbt nuggets for a couple, and sybex for 293. With that I now have several MS certs and only 2 test from the MCITP:EA.

    I only studied for about 3 or 4 days per test really and mainly only in the afternoon. I have 3 years experience as a system admin so I put a lot of faith into that. That and the fact I knew I had the 2nd chance voucher in case I did fail any of the test.

    My overall impression is that the test could have more focus on real work applications (I have never used RRAS before) but it is good if you think about that it is testing on what could your business do with Windows 2003 and not what will it end up doing really.

    My main drive for getting it so quickly was that I had just moved to San Francisco looking for a job and needed it on my resume. Thankfully I got a job after only 3 test but I still wanted to knock it out of the way. I could have probably gotten it in 2 months if I didn't play so much Left 4 Dead but shooting zombies (or killing humans as a zombie) is so much more fun than studying.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Member d00dle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    46

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, MCTS
    #2
    thats pretty crazy studied 3-4 days per test. I can barely go through 50+ pages a day because the book would put me to sleep zZzz

    Welcome to the bay
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member Jordus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    336

    Certifications
    MCP XP | MCTS: Vista, 7, Hyper-V, AD-DS,2008 Network Infra. | MCITP:EST
    #3
    hmmm dumper?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. I eat bubbles Alif_Sadida_Ekin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    332
    #4
    Good grief. It takes me 3 months just to study and pass one test!
    MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

    BS, Information Technology
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    18

    Certifications
    CCNA, MCSE, MCITP:EA
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
    hmmm dumper?
    I would have done a lot better on my tests if I used dumps. I just have experience, good memory, and know how to take tests.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    18

    Certifications
    CCNA, MCSE, MCITP:EA
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Alif_Sadida_Ekin View Post
    Good grief. It takes me 3 months just to study and pass one test!
    Being unemployed in one of the highest cost of living cities in the country gives you motivation. I never even thought about getting my MCSE back when I had a job.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Stop,Collaborate + Listen LarryDaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC Suburbs
    Posts
    792

    Certifications
    CISSP, CISA, PMP, FITSP-M, Security+, Network+, A+, (expired: CCNA, CCENT)
    #7
    Improbable but not impossible without dumps. There are some very smart people out there. People pass the MCSE track without dumps during a 13 day boot camp, so it can be done.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,073
    Blog Entries
    1

    Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mad82 View Post
    Being unemployed in one of the highest cost of living cities in the country gives you motivation. I never even thought about getting my MCSE back when I had a job.
    That's how I got my MCSA, incidentally. Congrats on the pass(es), and good luck with the 2008 track.

    -------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

    Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

    Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    297

    Certifications
    A+, Network +, MCSE 2003, CCNA:S, VCP 4
    #9
    Why the 70-270 and the 70-620? Does the 620 count as an MCSE elective in addition to the 270?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    18

    Certifications
    CCNA, MCSE, MCITP:EA
    #10
    I believe it does. It says it counts for the client or the elective but not both so I'm using the 620 as the client and 270 as the elective (or visa versa). At least I think it works that way. I'll know as soon as they post it to my transcript.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    3,141

    Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by mad82 View Post
    I believe it does. It says it counts for the client or the elective but not both so I'm using the 620 as the client and 270 as the elective (or visa versa). At least I think it works that way. I'll know as soon as they post it to my transcript.
    Yes the reverse is allowed (270 as the client and 620 as the elective)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. I eat bubbles Alif_Sadida_Ekin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    332
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
    That's how I got my MCSA, incidentally. Congrats on the pass(es), and good luck with the 2008 track.
    The fear of BEING unemployed is what's motivating me right now. Sure, I enjoy learning all this stuff, but in the long run I'm just trying to solidify my career. If I do get laid off, I'm pretty sure these certifications will help me find another job a lot quicker than if I didn't have them.
    MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

    BS, Information Technology
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member Jordus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    336

    Certifications
    MCP XP | MCTS: Vista, 7, Hyper-V, AD-DS,2008 Network Infra. | MCITP:EST
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryDaMan View Post
    Improbable but not impossible without dumps. There are some very smart people out there. People pass the MCSE track without dumps during a 13 day boot camp, so it can be done.

    Yeah, but those camps are walking all over the line between real and dump.

    There are smart people out there, but taking 4 days to pass an exam that most people take 2-3 times and study for weeks if not months seems a little odd.

    The other thing is that a LOT of the topics on the MCSE/MCITP stuff are things that people dont normally work with on a regular job. Most AD admins work with a single domain...not 52 interconnected sites with subdomains and other domains in a massive forest mash-up.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    3,141

    Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
    Most AD admins work with a single domain...not 52 interconnected sites with subdomains and other domains in a massive forest mash-up.
    Only 52 sites... I wish, you should see the insanity that is AD here.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    18

    Certifications
    CCNA, MCSE, MCITP:EA
    #15
    You are absolutely right about that. I have never dealt with RRAS (before my current job) and my previous jobs were single domain/single site and single forest/2 trees/single domain per tree/with a few sites.

    However the most complicated domain setup that I can remember that had an influence on the answers (many questions through in extra information to confuse you) was probably in this last test with multiple sites/single domain but could have been multiple domain if I thought it could have been designed differently. In all the other tests, I never was asked to setup a trust between domains (forest/shortcut/or otherwise), or expected to know how sites work past main site/branch site.

    As for RRAS, if you know what the IAS and RRAS and how they work together (which they drilled you on for 3 or 4 tests) then most of the questions come down to common sense.

    The fact of the matter is that either 1) I'm a freaking genius with a near photographic memory, 2) People put too much stock in the difficulty of these exams and get nervous and fail because of it, or 3) People study way to long for an exam that they could probably pass with a lot less studying.

    My highest score on an exam was around 870 or so. I knew that I had my second chance voucher for every single exam so I went in reviewing the material (I did not even do the lesson reviews at the end of the lessons) with the intention of learning what was on the exams that I didn't know so I could go back and study that more in depth. As it turned out, I didn't know everything since I never made more than 900 but I knew enough from experience, my review, and good test taking skills to pass and frankly that's all that matters to me. My transcript from MS shows passes, not scores.

    Yes I could have spent several months reading, taking practice tests, reviewing white docs and going in and getting a 1000 but why?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Senior Member WanBoy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    227
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
    Yeah, but those camps are walking all over the line between real and dump.

    There are smart people out there, but taking 4 days to pass an exam that most people take 2-3 times and study for weeks if not months seems a little odd.

    The other thing is that a LOT of the topics on the MCSE/MCITP stuff are things that people dont normally work with on a regular job. Most AD admins work with a single domain...not 52 interconnected sites with subdomains and other domains in a massive forest mash-up.
    I disagree, the main issue with the MCSE is the volume of information not technical difficulty. If you can remember GUI and fundamentals I don't see why you can't, retention might be more of an issue. Microsoft has largely dropped the paragraph size deciphering questions and gone for more technical ability questions too, so the exams are little easier than they used to be.

    Two other things, just because you can't do it doesn't make it odd & two, I don't remember anything as complex as you describe in the MCSE. Everybody goes at different speeds and I have read a few similar posts here, nothing suspect, they just had the opportunity to do it that way for whatever reason. I wish I had the opportunity to do it like that.

    Congrats OP!
    Last edited by WanBoy67; 05-13-2009 at 02:49 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Senior Member ilcram19-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    432

    Certifications
    A+,Net+,Server+,Sec+, MCP,MCSA:M/MCSE 2k3, CCNA,CCNA SEC,CCDA,CCDP, CCNP, MCTS, MCITP
    #17
    i bealive is posible and i dont think MCSE was a big challenge it took me 5 months, looking back now MCSE doesnt and it shouldnt be a big deal is stuff "you must and should know" you need to be prepare and MCSE is something you shoudl have now days if you wanna stay at the edge of stuff you need to keep improving your self and try to be one of the few not one of the bunch than are always complaning about how hard the tests are, keep motivated and dont waste time The most valuable thing a man can waste is time other wise you will be doing help desk for years
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #18
    You need to realize that there are a lot of people doing MCSE-level (or higher) work that don't have any certifications. Had he, or anyone else, done that starting from scratch, it would be extremely difficult to believe that there wasn't any cheating involved.

    As long as it's legit, you have my congrats
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    68

    Certifications
    CCNA,MCTS:Exchange,Active DIrectory 2008.MCSA:Messaging,Security+,CCA, ITIL FOundation
    #19
    Congradulations man.Started my MCSE way back in June 2006 and up until now,am still working on it.I wonder if am waisting a lot of time or the idea of trying to learn as i study that is taking my time.You did very well and like Dynamik said,as long as its legit,you are the man
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Senior Member Jordus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    336

    Certifications
    MCP XP | MCTS: Vista, 7, Hyper-V, AD-DS,2008 Network Infra. | MCITP:EST
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    You need to realize that there are a lot of people doing MCSE-level (or higher) work that don't have any certifications. Had he, or anyone else, done that starting from scratch, it would be extremely difficult to believe that there wasn't any cheating involved.

    As long as it's legit, you have my congrats
    You're right. As long as its legit then its really cool for him and ill be first in line to congratulate.

    Im not an authority to prove that so and so cheated, but the timeframe seems a little odd.

    I suppose that 3 years of solid day to day AD administration would probably cover a lot of those exam points, though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    297

    Certifications
    A+, Network +, MCSE 2003, CCNA:S, VCP 4
    #21
    My only concern would be how much of this 3 month cram session would I remember a year from now. I like to take my time and really learn the material, not just get it into my head long enough to pass a test then move on. There's nothing better then when my boss, who has many more "certs" than me, can't figure something out and has to come to me for a solution.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Nidhoggr, the Net Serpent Claymoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,622

    Certifications
    AWS Architect, MCSEx3, MCITPx6, MCTSx17
    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by mad82 View Post
    The fact of the matter is that either 1) I'm a freaking genius with a near photographic memory, 2) People put too much stock in the difficulty of these exams and get nervous and fail because of it, or 3) People study way to long for an exam that they could probably pass with a lot less studying.

    My highest score on an exam was around 870 or so. I knew that I had my second chance voucher for every single exam so I went in reviewing the material (I did not even do the lesson reviews at the end of the lessons) with the intention of learning what was on the exams that I didn't know so I could go back and study that more in depth. As it turned out, I didn't know everything since I never made more than 900 but I knew enough from experience, my review, and good test taking skills to pass and frankly that's all that matters to me. My transcript from MS shows passes, not scores.

    Yes I could have spent several months reading, taking practice tests, reviewing white docs and going in and getting a 1000 but why?
    First off, congrats!

    Second, I agree with you on points 2 & 3 (we'll have to take your word on 1). These are just tests and nothing to get stressed out over. You won't fail and flunk out of school or lose your scholarship or be grounded - all you did was cost yourself $125. And yes, I failed an NT4 exam when I didn't have $100 to spare. It sucked, but I studied harder and passed the next time. I've passed exams far more difficult than these so I don't get stressed out about them. It doesn't look like you do either.

    As for the score, it's pass/fail and 700 is passing. I have some scores in the 700s (including 2 @ 700) and some in the 900s. My personal goal is an 850 - anything above that and I figure I either got lucky on the question selection or I studied too hard. That extra month spent pushing the score from an 800 to the 900s is a month better spent on the next test or with your family and friends, IMO.

    Finally, what took you so long? Undomiel completed his MCITP:EA in two days. From picking up a book to taking the last test, I completed my 2003 MCSE in 64 days. You never did more than one exam in a day - several people here have done 2 or even 3 in a day. You, my friend, are a slacker. I expect you to do better next time.

    Congrats on the job as well!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13

    Certifications
    A+, Net+,Security+, I.T Project+, MCSA:Security, MCSE 2K3, CCENT, CIW Professional, CIW Database
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
    The other thing is that a LOT of the topics on the MCSE/MCITP stuff are things that people dont normally work with on a regular job. Most AD admins work with a single domain...not 52 interconnected sites with subdomains and other domains in a massive forest mash-up.

    Our forest has 176 domains and well over 1000 sites. We use every conceivable MS product out there. Even with my MCSE, I feel like a total moron in this huge environment. Yes, there are environments that set you up for success on the MCSE. BTW, we have one of the 5 largest Server 2003 forests recorded by Microsoft.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    18

    Certifications
    CCNA, MCSE, MCITP:EA
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymoore View Post
    Finally, what took you so long? Undomiel completed his MCITP:EA in two days. From picking up a book to taking the last test, I completed my 2003 MCSE in 64 days. You never did more than one exam in a day - several people here have done 2 or even 3 in a day. You, my friend, are a slacker. I expect you to do better next time.

    Congrats on the job as well!
    Good lord 64 days? I guess I could have done that if I didn't wait so long between my first and second exam. I'm debating getting my MCITP:EA now or going for my CCNP. Rather get more networking experience but the MCITP:EA is only 2 exams (and I'll need more than 2 days since I haven't used 2008 except in passing on a vm).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Senior Member Tyrant1919's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marysville, CA
    Posts
    516

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Svr+, Sec+, CCNA, MCSE:S, MCITP:EA, 236
    #25
    A test every so often is definately doable to finish your MCSE in 3 months. I did my MCSE in 6 months or so, and took 3 exams at the same time twice. I was never accused of dumping.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks