+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 234 Last
  1. Senior Member

Default Anyone interested in (free) virtual training with me?

I'm trying to get into training, and I'm looking for some guinea pigs. I haven't thought too much about the logistics yet; I'm just curious if there'd be any interest. It'd probably just be a couple of hours a week, maybe on a Friday or Saturday evening since I'm a loser (just kidding - that'll be negotiable). I'm thinking about going over 291/293 material, subnetting, etc. I'd be open to any suggestions as far as content goes, software to use to deliver the content, etc.

TIA.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    MCTS: Vista Configuration, MCTS: Windows 7 Configuring, MCP (290), A+, Network+, Server+
    I'm game, especially if you're covering 291/293 topics - at least one of those is on the horizon for me. As for suggestions on the logistics...well, that depends - what is it that you want to "deliver" content-wise? Do you want to share your desktop or distribute content files beforehand? How long do you want the training to go on for? There are trial subscriptions to Live Meeting (either 14 or 30 days) and WebEx (14 days), but I'm sure there must be other options out there. Meeting Space would work for small groups, but we'd have to set up a separate conference call to get audio and there's no video. I do have some links for free conference call services - I'll dig those up if you want.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Mac Integration Basics 10.11, Wireless#, CWTS
    Id be a willing volunteer.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, GCIA
    I'm interested as well. I was just going to start to tackle the beast. Any way I can help, I will.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA:2008, VCP4/5, CCA (XS), MCITP: EA/VA, MCSE, MCSA, Linux+, Security+, Server+, A+
    I'd volunteer as well but I would just be the annoying kid in the back who heckles the teacher constantly.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+,Net+,Server+,Sec+, MCP,MCSA:M/MCSE 2k3, CCNA,CCNA SEC,CCDA,CCDP, CCNP, MCTS, MCITP
    that sounds fun
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Passion For IT

Certifications
    MCTS, MCITP, MCP, A+, Server+, Security+, Project+, CCENT, CCNA-Sec, CEH, CHFI
    I'm game! I'm getting ready to pummel the beast very soon, so I need some good last minute training!
    A few certs here and there and everywhere...
    AAS: Computer Security
    BS: Information Technology - Security (WGU)
    MS: Information Security & Assurance (WGU)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skrpune View Post
    I'm game, especially if you're covering 291/293 topics - at least one of those is on the horizon for me. As for suggestions on the logistics...well, that depends - what is it that you want to "deliver" content-wise? Do you want to share your desktop or distribute content files beforehand? How long do you want the training to go on for? There are trial subscriptions to Live Meeting (either 14 or 30 days) and WebEx (14 days), but I'm sure there must be other options out there. Meeting Space would work for small groups, but we'd have to set up a separate conference call to get audio and there's no video. I do have some links for free conference call services - I'll dig those up if you want.
    I'd definitely want to allow people to see my desktop, be able to distribute slides, etc. I was thinking about Live Meeting or WebEx anyway. I'll run through the trials and figure something out; don't worry about digging up that other stuff. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by undomiel View Post
    I'd volunteer as well but I would just be the annoying kid in the back who heckles the teacher constantly.
    You'd be more than welcome. It'd be nice to have someone verify that I wasn't just making stuff up

Maybe I'll setup a test Q&A this weekend or something just to see how things go. I'm fairly busy at the moment, so I'm sort of torn between how much material to prepare in advance vs. how frequent to have these sessions. Maybe we'll just kinda wing it for awhile

If anyone has any specific topics they'd like to discuss, feel free to throw them out. Please do the same for times. Week nights? Morning on the weekends? Let me know what works for you. I'm typically available most times outside of work and Tues and Weds evenings.

Also, try to get a mic/headset as well. I'd prefer a lot of interaction; I don't want to just lecture.
    Last edited by dynamik; 06-10-2009 at 03:28 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Svr+, Sec+, CCNA, MCSE:S, MCITP:EA, 236
    Oooo, this sounds like fun!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, JNCIP-ENT, JNCIS-SP, JNCIA, JNCDA, CCNA, CCNA:Security, MCP, A+, N+, L+, MST:InfoSec, CNSS 4011-4015
    Count me in....Dynamik go with webex its fairly cheap. There's a one time setup fee and then its like $35/month. We use it at work quite a bit!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    It's $70/mo ($60/mo if you prepay a year), which is a bit higher than I wanted, but it's manageable. From what I've looked at thus far, that is the one I'm leaning towards.

http://www.webex.com/buy-webex/index.html
    Last edited by dynamik; 06-10-2009 at 05:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Drops by now and again astorrs's Avatar

Certifications
    I have numerous certs from VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, EMC, Nimble Storage, Palo Alto Networks and more...
    I vote for Citrix's GoToMeeting (at $49/mo - I can probably get you a better price too), I've used the others (LiveMeeting and WebEx) many times before, and while LiveMeeting is actually my favorite, it's just too damn expensive. I always end up comming back to G2M year after year.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member
    Count me in!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCP XP | MCTS: Vista, 7, Hyper-V, AD-DS,2008 Network Infra. | MCITP:EST
    Check out Yugma as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member goforthbmerry's Avatar

Certifications
    Security+, 70-620 Vista Configuration, ITIL v3 Foundations
    I would love to cover 291/3 information. Let me know how to get in! Sorry you have had so little response
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Member
    Can junior members join in as well? If yes, I would be happy to take part in it too
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, JNCIP-ENT, JNCIS-SP, JNCIA, JNCDA, CCNA, CCNA:Security, MCP, A+, N+, L+, MST:InfoSec, CNSS 4011-4015
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    It's $70/mo ($60/mo if you prepay a year), which is a bit higher than I wanted, but it's manageable. From what I've looked at thus far, that is the one I'm leaning towards.

Buy WebEx
    Hmm...maybe we have a corporate discount then
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astorrs View Post
    I vote for Citrix's GoToMeeting (at $49/mo - I can probably get you a better price too), I've used the others (LiveMeeting and WebEx) many times before, and while LiveMeeting is actually my favorite, it's just too damn expensive. I always end up comming back to G2M year after year.
    Am I looking at this right?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/li...030111033.aspx

It looks like LiveMeeting will cost $25/mo for the standard version and $75/mo for the pro version. That seems to be in the same ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by goforthbmerry View Post
    I would love to cover 291/3 information. Let me know how to get in! Sorry you have had so little response
    I'll just post dates, times, and any other relevant information in this thread a few days in advance. It'll be open to everyone who wants to participate...

Quote Originally Posted by szmarcek View Post
    Can junior members join in as well? If yes, I would be happy to take part in it too
    ...except junior members. You need to have at least 100 posts. Just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by shednik View Post
    Hmm...maybe we have a corporate discount then
    That was my assumption as well.

There's been a lot of good suggestions; maybe we can demo a different one each week. While I'd obviously like to keep the cost down as much as possible, I'm more concerned with functionality. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the responses everyone
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. One Man Wolfpac NetAdmin2436's Avatar

Certifications
    AAS in Computer Networking, MCSE 2003, Network+, Security+, A+
    I'll check it out.

although, I'll probably be that one kid in the back row sleeping....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCTS: Vista Configuration, MCTS: Windows 7 Configuring, MCP (290), A+, Network+, Server+
    Quote Originally Posted by NetAdmin2436 View Post
    I'll check it out.

although, I'll probably be that one kid in the back row sleeping....
    Hmmm, guess we'll have to figure out a way to throw virtual spitballs / paper airplanes at each other...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. One Man Wolfpac NetAdmin2436's Avatar

Certifications
    AAS in Computer Networking, MCSE 2003, Network+, Security+, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by skrpune View Post
    Hmmm, guess we'll have to figure out a way to throw virtual spitballs / paper airplanes at each other...
    Bring it
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCITP: EA, EMA; MCSE 2000/2003: M; MCSE 2000: S; MCSA 2000/2003: S; MCTS: ISA 2006; VCP3/4
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Svr+, Sec+, CCNA, MCSE:S, MCITP:EA, 236
    Sweet, I'm one of the 15!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Certifiable

Certifications
    B.A. in C.S.,A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCSA 2003.. more 2 come!
    I want to be a part of it too!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Junior Member
    I'm in...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 234 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks