+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #1

    Default MCSE before the End of the year...

    Greetings All:


    Starting in July I plan to study for the MCP/MCSA/MCSE test. I am looking to finish it by my birthday (November 22). Anyone interested in starting a study group? I will not start until about July 15th (finishing up CCNA and then knocking out security+) and I will start with the 70-290 exam. Let me know what you guys (and girls) think.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member goforthbmerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    246

    Certifications
    Security+, 70-620 Vista Configuration, ITIL v3 Foundations
    #2
    How do you propose to do it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #3

    Default reply

    Quote Originally Posted by goforthbmerry View Post
    How do you propose to do it?
    As far as studying is concerned or the actual group itself?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    702

    Certifications
    Most Recent: CISSP & CCDA
    #4
    I\m assuming you've got years of experience in the field or else you won't retain enough info to do the job though you may be certified.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #5

    Default reply

    Quote Originally Posted by GAngel View Post
    I\m assuming you've got years of experience in the field or else you won't retain enough info to do the job though you may be certified.

    Well I disagree. I do have some years supporting Windows XP and Server 2003 (from a help desk role) but I have a very good memory. I also am going to do every single test with the help of my 2 windows server 2003 machines and 1 windows XP. My goal is not to remember everything, nor is my goal to get 1000's on every single test, my goal is to complete 7 objectives so that I can get into 1st level server support.

    Its funnly that you would assume that I would have years of experience. I do have some years working for an isp as well as working for a local fortune 500 company doing a helpdesk role but I have very limited "Professional" expeirence with server. Sure I have had to support them but I want to get to the point where I can work with servers more exclusively. I have tried to get into our "Engineering" (2nd level support) several times. I have interviewed for the job with the HR and I have interviewed with the manager of the Engineering group. Each time I do, they give me another excuse for why they wont promote me: Not enough business classes (I am working on a degree), not old enough (I am 21), not enough experience (I have about 3 1/2 years experience) no money for relocation (the Engineering department is in another part of the country) etc etc.....

    I have basically been fed bullshit for about 7 months now. They always want me to take on more responsibilities at 1st level, but they always have some reason for why they wont promote me. I have tried to find other jobs but everyone wants either a BSCS or an MCSE + 3 years experience. I got turned down for a 3rd Level tech support because I didn't have any microsoft certifications. So here I am, wanting to move up or move on and everyone wants something that I do not have. I cannot speed up my degree a whole lot (although getting the MCSE and CCNA takes off over 60 credits total off of two of my majors) but something I can do is get certified. I know some people in our Engineering department who consistantly tell agents as a troubleshooting step to try to have people install things in safe mode (wininstaller wont run in safe mode). I know people who can't subnet, who don't know the basic differences between a hub, router, and a switch. I know people who dont understand the concept of a vlan, or vpn. I know a guy who was hired when I was hired, had no certs, no degree, less experience than I am, was 2 years older than me and go promoted. It was around the time he was promoted that I found out that I was being blackballed.

    So in short, I will retain everything I need to retain, I will keep a pocket consultant guide on me and I will not be a "paper MCSE" but I WILL HAVE IT DONE BY NOV 22 (my birthday). It will be my gift from God and I to me lol. If you would like to study or have a great opinion on a book list let me know but don't tell me that I can't/won't retain something. Honestly Im fuled by some much disdain that it is making my desires become greater. I am not sure you can understand but that is ok....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Stop,Collaborate + Listen LarryDaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC Suburbs
    Posts
    792

    Certifications
    CISSP, CISA, PMP, FITSP-M, Security+, Network+, A+, (expired: CCNA, CCENT)
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    It will be my gift from God ....

    I would ask him for a CCIE instead...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    702

    Certifications
    Most Recent: CISSP & CCDA
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    Well I disagree. I do have some years supporting Windows XP and Server 2003 (from a help desk role) but I have a very good memory. I also am going to do every single test with the help of my 2 windows server 2003 machines and 1 windows XP. My goal is not to remember everything, nor is my goal to get 1000's on every single test, my goal is to complete 7 objectives so that I can get into 1st level server support.

    Its funnly that you would assume that I would have years of experience. I do have some years working for an isp as well as working for a local fortune 500 company doing a helpdesk role but I have very limited "Professional" expeirence with server. Sure I have had to support them but I want to get to the point where I can work with servers more exclusively. I have tried to get into our "Engineering" (2nd level support) several times. I have interviewed for the job with the HR and I have interviewed with the manager of the Engineering group. Each time I do, they give me another excuse for why they wont promote me: Not enough business classes (I am working on a degree), not old enough (I am 21), not enough experience (I have about 3 1/2 years experience) no money for relocation (the Engineering department is in another part of the country) etc etc.....

    I have basically been fed bullshit for about 7 months now. They always want me to take on more responsibilities at 1st level, but they always have some reason for why they wont promote me. I have tried to find other jobs but everyone wants either a BSCS or an MCSE + 3 years experience. I got turned down for a 3rd Level tech support because I didn't have any microsoft certifications. So here I am, wanting to move up or move on and everyone wants something that I do not have. I cannot speed up my degree a whole lot (although getting the MCSE and CCNA takes off over 60 credits total off of two of my majors) but something I can do is get certified. I know some people in our Engineering department who consistantly tell agents as a troubleshooting step to try to have people install things in safe mode (wininstaller wont run in safe mode). I know people who can't subnet, who don't know the basic differences between a hub, router, and a switch. I know people who dont understand the concept of a vlan, or vpn. I know a guy who was hired when I was hired, had no certs, no degree, less experience than I am, was 2 years older than me and go promoted. It was around the time he was promoted that I found out that I was being blackballed.

    So in short, I will retain everything I need to retain, I will keep a pocket consultant guide on me and I will not be a "paper MCSE" but I WILL HAVE IT DONE BY NOV 22 (my birthday). It will be my gift from God and I to me lol. If you would like to study or have a great opinion on a book list let me know but don't tell me that I can't/won't retain something. Honestly Im fuled by some much disdain that it is making my desires become greater. I am not sure you can understand but that is ok....

    Mate there is no reason to get upset with me. Your original post does not go into any detail about your experience in the field so I gave you a generic but very truthful answer. 50% of the 2003 material isn't really relevant anymore there are better and more efficient tools in common practise. EG: rras, windows backup etc. Either way i think it will be difficult for 90% of people to go from mcp to mcse in 5 months especially if you're working (full time?). Don't get discouraged either way think of it as a matter of when not if.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #8

    Default reply

    Quote Originally Posted by GAngel View Post
    Mate there is no reason to get upset with me. Your original post does not go into any detail about your experience in the field so I gave you a generic but very truthful answer. 50% of the 2003 material isn't really relevant anymore there are better and more efficient tools in common practise. EG: rras, windows backup etc. Either way i think it will be difficult for 90% of people to go from mcp to mcse in 5 months especially if you're working (full time?). Don't get discouraged either way think of it as a matter of when not if.

    Im not upset with you. I was just trying to explain why I will do it. I am working fulltime and I hate my job. It isn't particularly you, I've just had a really hard time trying to find people to study with. Most people at my job think that the MCSE is worthless, some think it is impossible, even others just don't want to study for it. I don't really have anyone who can mentor me nor do I have anyone that I can look up to and say I want to be like that person. Im just pissed in general and im not pissed at you im just tired and ready to move on.

    I understand it will be hard (MCP-MCSE in 5 months) but in all honestly can it really be that hard. It is just 7 test. I would take 7 times that amount during the school year. But I have to do this in order to make it. I live in a college town and the HR recurits and harsh around here.

    Would you suggest going for the MCSA (3 test) and then MCITP:SA (2 test)?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #9

    Default well maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by LarryDaMan View Post
    I would ask him for a CCIE instead...

    lol I would like to have my CCIE in the next 3-4 years.


    The reason why I think that this will be doable is simply because of that fact that it will be mostly gui driven. If I can understand the concepts than most I can (usually) find where they would be. I honestly think Linux+ (which I plan on taking this year) will be harder because of the mere fact that it is not gui driven
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    702

    Certifications
    Most Recent: CISSP & CCDA
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    Im not upset with you. I was just trying to explain why I will do it. I am working fulltime and I hate my job. It isn't particularly you, I've just had a really hard time trying to find people to study with. Most people at my job think that the MCSE is worthless, some think it is impossible, even others just don't want to study for it. I don't really have anyone who can mentor me nor do I have anyone that I can look up to and say I want to be like that person. Im just pissed in general and im not pissed at you im just tired and ready to move on.

    I understand it will be hard (MCP-MCSE in 5 months) but in all honestly can it really be that hard. It is just 7 test. I would take 7 times that amount during the school year. But I have to do this in order to make it. I live in a college town and the HR recurits and harsh around here.

    Would you suggest going for the MCSA (3 test) and then MCITP:SA (2 test)?
    You may not have a mentor in person but you have an entire board of tech guru's that have walked your path. There are plenty of people on here I'm in awe of myself.

    I'm in Toronto so i can only speak for what i see in Ontario and right now I rarely ever see anyone advertising for MCITP. A quick look on monster.ca shows 7 jobs for MCITP verses 95 for mcse and 25 for mcsa.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Montgomery, AL
    Posts
    168

    Certifications
    MCSA: 2012, MCSA: 2008, MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE/A 2003:Security, MCTS: Vista, CCNA, Security+, Net+, A+, DCSE
    #11
    I would definitely go for the MCSE, the MCITP will be slow to adopt and if you get both you show a trend to hiring managers that you grow over time and are not static. Plus 2008 level certs will be MUCH easier once you have a 2003 base of knowledge.
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. ROFL-Copter pilot snadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,235

    Certifications
    JNCIP-SEC, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIA-JunOS, CCNA, CCENT, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, MCP, Network+, Security+
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    Obtained: A+, N+

    2009 Certification Goals:
    Before November 22nd: CCNA, Security+, MCP, MCSA, MCSE

    EOY 2009:
    Linux+

    In progress
    CCNA: June 26th 2009

    Up next:
    Security+: July 2009
    MCP: (290) July/August 2009
    MCSA: (291, 270)August/September 2009
    (293): October 2009
    (294): October/November 2009
    MCSE: (298: November 2009
    Linux+: December 2009

    I'm sure I speak for most the board in saying wish you well and appreciate the ambition (lord knows I need some of it!).

    I did notice in your sig (above) that you seem to be missing the client OS exam (i.e 70-270) in your test map. To be honest, if you haven't taken a MS exam, I would recommend getting your feet wet with the client OS exam first. This will allow you to get the feel of how MS exams work and are worded. To each their own, though. Utilize the boards here as much as you can, there are some smart birds around here

    good luck, and godspeed!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #13

    Default reply

    Quote Originally Posted by GAngel View Post
    You may not have a mentor in person but you have an entire board of tech guru's that have walked your path. There are plenty of people on here I'm in awe of myself.

    I'm in Toronto so i can only speak for what i see in Ontario and right now I rarely ever see anyone advertising for MCITP. A quick look on monster.ca shows 7 jobs for MCITP verses 95 for mcse and 25 for mcsa.

    That is very true. I looked myself and I still see that MCSE is still powerful. I think that is what Im going to do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by snadam View Post
    I'm sure I speak for most the board in saying wish you well and appreciate the ambition (lord knows I need some of it!).

    I did notice in your sig (above) that you seem to be missing the client OS exam (i.e 70-270) in your test map. To be honest, if you haven't taken a MS exam, I would recommend getting your feet wet with the client OS exam first. This will allow you to get the feel of how MS exams work and are worded. To each their own, though. Utilize the boards here as much as you can, there are some smart birds around here

    good luck, and godspeed!
    It is in my signature Im doing the 270 after I do the 291. The order I have set is because I already have the books for the 290 + 291 exams. This could change. The order for the MCSA is 290, 291, 270, elective (which I will not have to do). Should I not keep that order?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #15

    Default reply

    Quote Originally Posted by techster79 View Post
    I would definitely go for the MCSE, the MCITP will be slow to adopt and if you get both you show a trend to hiring managers that you grow over time and are not static. Plus 2008 level certs will be MUCH easier once you have a 2003 base of knowledge.

    I have worked very little with 2008 but I do plan to go with the MCITP:SA sometime in the not to distant future. I could possible go for the EA but Im not sure.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Senior Member loxleynew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    401

    Certifications
    MCDST, MCSA, CCENT, GSEC
    #16
    Good luck with that. I know how you feel I was there at one point.. I got lucky and work with server 2003 all the time now as a jr. network admin and all I have as far as certs to show for it is an MCDST. I do take my 290 tomorrow though ;x

    Just like everyone else you need to get a break somewhere and learn from there. I'm kinda similar but I am just going for my MCSA by the end of the year. However I do have almost 2 years of experience working exclusivley on server 2003 so if you want to bounce ideas off me while I study for my 291 which I will start sometime in july feel free.

    Like others have said microsofts tests are different. It's not just about knowing the answers because they word it weird and many times find the most ridiculous way to solve a problem. Go take the 270 (I would assume you can easily do this with a week of studying) and get your feet wet.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Senior Member loxleynew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    401

    Certifications
    MCDST, MCSA, CCENT, GSEC
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    It is in my signature Im doing the 270 after I do the 291. The order I have set is because I already have the books for the 290 + 291 exams. This could change. The order for the MCSA is 290, 291, 270, elective (which I will not have to do). Should I not keep that order?
    This is the same order I am going however I have already done my elective.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #18

    Default reply

    Quote Originally Posted by loxleynew View Post
    Good luck with that. I know how you feel I was there at one point.. I got lucky and work with server 2003 all the time now as a jr. network admin and all I have as far as certs to show for it is an MCDST. I do take my 290 tomorrow though ;x

    Just like everyone else you need to get a break somewhere and learn from there. I'm kinda similar but I am just going for my MCSA by the end of the year. However I do have almost 2 years of experience working exclusivley on server 2003 so if you want to bounce ideas off me while I study for my 291 which I will start sometime in july feel free.

    Like others have said microsofts tests are different. It's not just about knowing the answers because they word it weird and many times find the most ridiculous way to solve a problem. Go take the 270 (I would assume you can easily do this with a week of studying) and get your feet wet.
    I have to do the security+ next but then after that I may just do the 270 or the 290. I think that if I do the 290 then 291 because I think they will be harder to do (especially 291). Im using the sybex books for the 290 +291 and I may pick up the MS books. I will not be using transcender due to budget restrictions. Any suggestions?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    702

    Certifications
    Most Recent: CISSP & CCDA
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    I have to do the security+ next but then after that I may just do the 270 or the 290. I think that if I do the 290 then 291 because I think they will be harder to do (especially 291). Im using the sybex books for the 290 +291 and I may pick up the MS books. I will not be using transcender due to budget restrictions. Any suggestions?
    The 291 sybex book was one of the worst i've ever read. Unless there is a new updated version to the POS i read I would run far away from it. Nothing on WSUS, subnet chapter is all over the place, RRAS and VPN not even close to up to standard for what was on the test.

    I've heard nothing but good things about the 290 book though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #20

    Default sybex

    Quote Originally Posted by GAngel View Post
    The 291 sybex book was one of the worst i've ever read. Unless there is a new updated version to the POS i read I would run far away from it. Nothing on WSUS, subnet chapter is all over the place, RRAS and VPN not even close to up to standard for what was on the test.

    I've heard nothing but good things about the 290 book though.
    Wow. Maybe I will use the 291 MS press book then.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. ROFL-Copter pilot snadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,235

    Certifications
    JNCIP-SEC, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIA-JunOS, CCNA, CCENT, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, MCP, Network+, Security+
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    It is in my signature Im doing the 270 after I do the 291. The order I have set is because I already have the books for the 290 + 291 exams. This could change. The order for the MCSA is 290, 291, 270, elective (which I will not have to do). Should I not keep that order?

    you are right, I missed it

    Its up to you on which one ot take first. Just remember once you obtain the MCP status, be sure to transfer your A+/Net+ over to your Microsoft transcript ASAP. It takes a few weeks to get for that to actually be verified.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #22

    Default a+/n+

    Quote Originally Posted by snadam View Post
    you are right, I missed it

    Its up to you on which one ot take first. Just remember once you obtain the MCP status, be sure to transfer your A+/Net+ over to your Microsoft transcript ASAP. It takes a few weeks to get for that to actually be verified.
    Yes I will do that asap. On the MS site, it says a+ and n+ plus 270/290/291 = MCSA. It also says the MCSA and S+ = MCSA:S. It would seem (from reading forums) that if everything works out the first major milestone of completing the 3 mcp test will give me MCSA+MCSA:S. I am trying to decided after I do the 293/294/298 whether or not I am going for the MCSE:S or Linux+. I am probably going for the Linux+ because A: It will get me out of a class and B: It will help for doing the LPIC-1 next year.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,666

    Certifications
    MCSE: Security, MCTS x 5, P+, S+, N+, A+, HIT
    #23
    If you want the MCSA: Security, you will need the 299 as well as the security+.
    Good luck on the MCSE. I spent just under a year to get the MCSA:Security done, but I had very little IT knowledge.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    702

    Certifications
    Most Recent: CISSP & CCDA
    #24
    If he has security + he won't need the 299 for MCSA security. He would need it for MCSE security though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by GAngel View Post
    If he has security + he won't need the 299 for MCSA security. He would need it for MCSE security though.
    You need two security electives for the MCSA:S as well: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...mcsa.aspx#tab3
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks