+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WINS server

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics

Default WINS server

I know that WINS has been around for a long time, but I wondering how much it gets used today. It seems like DNS can do pretty much all of the same stuff. So why would you implement a WINS server into your network.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    I know that WINS has been around for a long time, but I wondering how much it gets used today. It seems like DNS can do pretty much all of the same stuff.
    DNS is far superior because of its hierarchical nature. WINS has a flat structure and doesn't scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    So why would you implement a WINS server into your network.
    Legacy applications that need it. None of the companies I've worked with in the past five years (that's probably pushing triple digits at this point) have had it deployed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP
    I have seen it used some still for the reasons dynamik said. I don't see those apps being around to much longer though. A lot are getting replaced with web apps.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA 2k3 (270/290/291/293), Sec+, Net+, Server+, A+, Cert. in EE
    WINS and Netbios.... can't add much more than Dynamic though. Also, getting rid of WINS cuts down on admin (WINS/DHCP scopes), net traffic, and security issues.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    I'm just curious. I see that they are still in use here where I work, but I have never read much about them, likely due to them being phased out. It was my understanding that DNS could do everything WINS could, with the exception of some legacy type things.

Thanks for all of the input.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member
    Just keep in mind, Microsoft recommends using WINS in Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003 environments.

Exchange Server 2003 and Exchange 2000 Server require NetBIOS name resolution for full functionality
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks