+ Reply to Thread
  1. Member

Certifications
    CCNA, A+

Default Using command line for everything...

Hi, I was wondering if there was a good book that would cover how to use command line for pretty much everything in Windows. I've been reading for specific exams and they would show a few commands here and there, but I always feel like they don't make too much sense and it is hard to memorize them that way. I find memorizing Cisco IOS commands are so much easier because they do make sense.

So, I've decided to master command lines and then powershell to have a great foundation when learning about specific exams.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    I don't know that there is a master list anywhere. I usually have something in mind that I want to do, and then turn to google and discover commands that way.

Maybe we should start a list?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNA:Security, CCNA: Voice, CCNP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSA 2k3 (270/290/291/293), Sec+, Net+, Server+, A+, Cert. in EE
    Man, good link. I have been putting a small list together from my study materials, but it is not as informative as that book shows in the descriptions. Thanks to the OP and for the link Will.

*make sure to look at the middle of the page though, looks like he has a second edition out.
    Last edited by motogpman; 09-23-2010 at 01:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    a + net+ ccent
    MS-DOS help and commands

this site has a lot of info about ms dos and other stuff about oss including a lot of key short cuts
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    A big benefit to learning CLI is that if you ever get around to using Server 2008 then you will have to deal with Server core which is the server without the GUI (and missing a few other features). I've been labbing with server core just to learn and stay fresh on my cli skills.
    For some of us who have been messing with computers for a while (us older folk) we are familiar with the DOS days. My first "real" PC had windows 3.x and I dealt with DOS every day I got on it practically. I used that computer with that version of Windows until getting my next PC which had Windows Me which helped me to learn a lot of troubleshooting and how to fix things.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE+M, MCSE+S, MCITP:SA, MCITP:EA, MCSA:2008, MCSA:2012
    Quote Originally Posted by earweed View Post
    A big benefit to learning CLI is that if you ever get around to using Server 2008 then you will have to deal with Server core which is the server without the GUI (and missing a few other features). I've been labbing with server core just to learn and stay fresh on my cli skills.
    For some of us who have been messing with computers for a while (us older folk) we are familiar with the DOS days. My first "real" PC had windows 3.x and I dealt with DOS every day I got on it practically. I used that computer with that version of Windows until getting my next PC which had Windows Me which helped me to learn a lot of troubleshooting and how to fix things.
    Doesn't everyone just used core configurator?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo_666 View Post
    Doesn't everyone just used core configurator?
    I did my first Server core build the hard way so as to learn how. Server 2k8 R2 has some new features and better setups for configuring Server core that I used on my most recent server core build.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks