+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Learn it, Do it, Know it! Asif Dasl's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSA:2008/7 MCITP:EA/SA EDST/EST MCSE'03 SBS'08/'03 MCDST A+ N+ Sec+ Srv+ VCP5-DCV VCA-DCV/Cloud
    Congrats, that's tough one. So is 70-294 though!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
    Thanks everybody - I'm glad to have that one out of the way.

I'm going for the 680 next. I'd like to do the 294 and be done with all my core exams, but the guy who handles our MDT deployment server is leaving in 2 weeks and that system will be left to me. I feel like I have a lot to learn there, so I'll be paying special attention to the deployment chapters.

Right now I've got to sit down and decide what resources to use for this exam. I'll probably head over to the 680 forum and see what everyone is recommending. Anyone with info there feel free to chime in.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    Good luck with the 680!
    The MS press book is the best resource once you get past the typos and stuff.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

It's about time for an update on the 680 studies.

At the moment I'm watching the CBT Nuggets and reading the MS Press in parallel. I have to say, I underestimated this deployment business.... There's a lot of possibilities with these WIM files and the multitude of imaging/deployment tools. In fact, I'm still on the deployment chapters right now (1-3). I don't want to move on until I have really labbed this stuff up.

So, I've got a Windows 7 and Server 08 VM installed and ready to go. Now I'm trying to decide what to do first.......? It looks like they would like for me to start off just using the imagex command to get comfortable working with WIM files. I plan to give that a try tonight. I left my PC downloading the AIK last night. I thought I was going to practice, but found out I needed that GB file first.

This is all a nice change of pace after the 290, 291, and 293 back to back. I'll post again after I play around in the lab for a while. There's quite a few things to try in these chapters.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Woohoo! I just imaged a PC.....

I must say, that was much more involved than the first time I used Norton Ghost in 2002.

My wife is working late, so I'm still at my office playing around. I just:

- Used WSIM to create an answer file
    - Performed an unattended installation of Windows 7
    - Used sysprep to generalize the reference PC
    - Captured the reference PC to a .wim and copied it to a network share
    - Deployed the .wim to another PC

I did all that using the "Quick-Start" instructions that come with the WAIK. I found that write up to be much more straight forward than the practice exercises in the MS Press book.

Edit to add: I just realized I'm doing all this at 7 pm on a Friday night....does that make me a geek?
    Last edited by xenodamus; 04-09-2011 at 01:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Default More deployment ramblings....

Wow...I've spent the better part of this weekend on nothing but Windows imaging/deployment. I was proud to have accomplished what I did Friday night. But then I got to the few pages about MDT at the end of chapter 3 (MS Press).

They gave a nice overview of MDT 2010 in the press book, but I wanted a little more info, so I went looking around online.

Deploying Windows 7 - Part 1: Windows AIK 2.0 Enhancements

This site is THE BEST mdt walkthrough I've found. If you need to know the ins and outs of deployment using this toolkit I highly recommend going through that entire series of articles. I just finished reading all of them, and I feel like I could take over administration of that system tomorrow.

It's been a very productive weekend. I think I'll watch the CBT on the next chapter and call it a night.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I started looking over the rest of the topics for this exam and feel pretty good about them. Just coming off the 290, 291, and 293.....client OS features are a nice change of pace.

So, I scheduled the 680 for April 29th.

I'm going on a week long vacation right after that, and I don't really want to come home to an exam. So....hopefully I'll be leaving for the beach as an MCSA!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Well, it's been a complicated couple of weeks, lol.

About 2 weeks ago I got a call to interview for a "LAN/WAN Systems Engineer" position with a telco/ISP. I decided to take the week before the interview to brush up on my networking/Cisco knowledge just in case there was some sort of technical interview. I wen't on that interview yesterday, so I've been on a break from MS material.

The interview went well, and I think they liked me for the job, but it paid well below what I'm making now. I think the position was really more of a DSL install tech with a Cisco or Adtran install here and there. Not really what I would be looking for.

But....they went on to tell me that there was another position available that wasn't being advertised working underneath one of their network engineers. This is the guy who gets to install cards in the Cisco 7600 series gear at midnight while everyone else is asleep.....that's the kind of excitement I'm looking for So, they bring in the engineer and we talk for a while. I think it wen't well and I fit what they're looking for as far as skills and experience level. They said I may hear from them in a few weeks, so we'll see how it pans out.

Meanwhile....I rescheduled my 680 exam for 5/13 and I'm back in the books.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    Great news on job interview!!
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Well, it looks like I underestimated the 680. I came out with a 682...probably 1-2 questions from passing. It's not a huge surprise, though. I know that I didn't put as much effort into this exam as I should have.

I've been pretty distracted the past few weeks because I'm starting a new job on Monday as a Network Engineer with Lockheed Martin. I really wanted to knock out the 680 before I started the new job because A) it will complete my MCSA, and B) I have to pass the CISSP within 6 months in the new joint. I really need to get started on my CISSP, but I feel like I should finish this last MS exam before I do.

I've got the free second shot, so I think I'm going to review my weak areas and schedule a retake for later this week.

Let's see if I can finish what I started......
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    That's as close as it gets! This is one test that looks easily passable, but isnt because of all the snazzy new server stuff thrown in. I hope you had a lab with a couple server VM's and Win7 VM's to practice on. You should brush up on all those server-related technologies, is what I'd say. Good luck on the retake.
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Time sure gets away from you. It's been 6 months since I updated this thread and my world has changed several times over in that stretch.

I just wanted to pop back in here, though, to say I passed the 70-270 and finished my MCSA today.

It took a year, and there were a couple of job changes and cert distrations during that time, but I did finish what I set out to do. I must admit that the only reason a took the 270 was because my MS voucher was about to expire and I needed a quick win so my money didn't go down the drain. I really wanted the 680 as my client exam so I'd be ready for the MCITP upgrade, but oh well. The question is what to do now. Should I finish the last 2 exams to achieve MCSE on an old server OS that is now 1 year older than it was when I started? Who knows.... I'm going to take a little while to think about it while I read something non cert related.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    If it were me, I'd finish the last 2 and then follow the upgrade process forthe MCITP (if you choose to even continue with it). Even IF the MCSE stops meaning something to the business world in the near future it was still a challenge and I'm proud of myself for getting it. I'd personally feel a little guilty if I wimped out 2 exams short.

Congrats on the MCSA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks