+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member

Default Any Recommended MCSA/MCSE Book / Study Guide?

I plan on getting the MCSA (first of course), then MCSE.

I am hoping to pass the following exams in the next 2 years. (One year if possible). I have already passed A+/Network+/Security+

Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) needs - 2011
    - Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment Exam 70-290: $125
    - Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure Exam 70-291: $125
    - TS: Windows 7, Configuring Exam 70-680: $125
    - (Elective Met) with A+/Network+

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) - 2011 (70K+)
    - (Save as Above) Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment Exam 70-290
    - (Save as Above) Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure Exam 70-291
    - Planning and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure Exam 70-293: $125
    - Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure Exam 70-294: $125
    - (Save as Above) TS: Windows 7, Configuring Exam 70-680
    - Designing a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory and Network Infrastructure Exam 70-297: $125
    - Elective Met (I think) with A+/Network+

Anyways, are there any recommended books / study guide?

So far I have taken all exams by self study only, and probably won't take courses until CCNA or other. My work pays for it, so price isn't a factor.

Edit: Wow, I didn't realize this was my first post. Long time reader, first time poster.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by nstarz; 12-02-2010 at 10:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, GXPN, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CEH, CNDA, CPT, Security+, Network+, A+
    First off, welcome officially to TE (post wise )

There's a deal through Microsoft that can provide you with second shot vouchers for a discount (depending on how many exams you choose to take before June 30, 2011).

Special Offers for IT Professional and Developer Careers l E-Learning Programs | Exam Offers

You must take your first and second shots of each exam before the date listed above and you can only register for one exam at a time.

The bigger the exam voucher pack, the more savings you technically get. Book wise, I would suggest checking out half.com and amazon.com's used sections. I was able to grab the 290,291,299, and 284 books for under 40 books altogether (with 3 out of 4 CDs). I am a fan of the self-paced training kits; they're easy on the eyes and cover most of the material needed for the exams.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I'm reading the 70-290 Self Paced Training Kit as we speak and it's ok. I'm not far enough into it to give a quality review, though. I do recommend the TestOut software. I just finished it and really liked it. I'm a hands on kinda guy, though.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE: Security, MCTS x 5, P+, S+, N+, A+, HIT
    Since your employer is paying for this, you could get the CBT nuggets. I found them helpful on the 291 exam. I have mostly used the MS training kits and lots of lab time for the other exams.
    How much experience do you have in server 2003?

Welcome to the forum!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member
    2003 is the only server OS beside RHEL that is used, though we will upgrade to 2008 soon.

I wish CBT nuggets had more individual structure. $899-1099 for MCSE Packages, some including retired or stuff I have already.

I'll wait for some more replies, Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE+M, MCSE+S, MCITP:SA, MCITP:EA, MCSA:2008, MCSA:2012
    Look on ebay for books ***DO NOT BUY NEW***

I just sold 18 MS Press books covering the MCSA Messaging cert which included all self study guides AND recource kit books, they went for £20 total, shipping was £35, that was the price of 2 books new :/

Aside from that get MS Press or Sybex books, also CBT Nuggets IMO are epicly good and a must have.
    Last edited by Mojo_666; 12-03-2010 at 05:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member
    Got a set of books used on ebay.

I chose the Microsoft Press books.

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks