+ Reply to Thread
  1. Member

Certifications
    MCSA Windows Server 2016, 2012, 2008, 2003

Default DNS scavenging question

I was hoping someone could clarify what would happen in this situation:

You log onto a DC, open DNS managment and see multiple AD Integrated Primary zones, including the zone for the domain you've logged onto. You want to configure DNS scavenging and see it's enabled at the zone level for all zones. Checking the properties of the server shows it's not configured. At this point if you enable it at the server level will it scavenge potential records from all zones?

Can anyone point in the right direction to any articles regarding multiple AD Integrated zones and DNS scavenging best practices?

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Good question there, I believe it'll do it right away. I'd set the scavenging interval to 7 days at least, it'd work nicely with the 8day DHCP lease cycle. That way mobile computers which are not on the network all the time wont have to keep re-registering in DNS. Here's a link that I have bookmarked > Best Practices configuration for DNS server on Windows 2008 R2 Server (aging/scavenging, etc.)
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    MCSA Windows Server 2016, 2012, 2008, 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    Good question there, I believe it'll do it right away.
    I think you misunderstand my question. I wasn't asking if it'd do it right away; I was asking if it'd scavenge from all zones not just the zone with the domain data. I've come to the conclusion it will.

As an aside - I don't believe it'd scavenge right away... It'd search it's DNS Server log for the last entry of 2501 or 2502 and only scavenge once the configured period of time had past from it's last scavenge, configured at the server level.

Good article: Don't be afraid of DNS Scavenging. Just be patient. - Microsoft Enterprise Networking Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    ISO/IEC 20000, ITIL® Expert, MCSA 2008, MCTS 70-659, VCP510, COBIT 5
    From what I have seen it takes time to kick in, sometimes its looks as if its not doing anything
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks