+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, Security+

Default Comparing MCSA 2003 and 2008

I want to get an MCSA, but I don't want to feel like my back is up against the wall time-wise with the deadline on 2003. What I liked about the 2003 track is that I already have CompTia Security+, which counts as an elective. It apparently doesn't count at all for 2008. Also, one can't take Windows 7 for 2008 which is kind of a bummer. I was looking forward to taking that one.

So there's just three server tests to take to get the 2008 MCSA?

I already have a CCNA, and I've been in networking for about four years. I figured that if I could get an MCSA 2008, I would be well-rounded and would be able to get a Sys Admin position, where I'm not just doing networking all day long. Any suggestions?

Also, and this may be a dumb question, but is it possible to just book-study for these tests without actually going out and getting a server to learn the material by? With networking, passing cert tests without actually doing hands-on with routers/switches is unthinkable. Just wondering if it's the same with MS certs.
    Last edited by Cat5; 10-25-2012 at 01:06 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Starcraft Engineer

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCTS Win 7, AD, Net Infrastructure
    Just get your MCSA 2008. In terms of market value, your past the point of needing to prove yourself with a client certification. A server certificaiton helps. You can always learn the knowledge without getting the certifications.

It is possible to book study, but I wouldn't advise it. Unless you have done something in production, lab it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by ptilsen View Post
    It is possible to book study, but I wouldn't advise it. Unless you have done something in production, lab it.
    I'd love to lab it. Care to donate the funds? I might can afford the books, but no way can I afford the hardware right now, eBay or no.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Starcraft Engineer

Certifications
    Unless you are on a netbook, nettop, tablet, or five-year-old computer, you're using the hardware right now. I labbed servers on my Core 2 Duo laptop back in 2008. I like to tell people to get SSDs and at least four logical cores, 8GB of RAM, but the truth is you can get by with dual-core, one hard drive, 4GB of RAM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, Security+
    Can you elaborate on how to lab servers on one's laptop? Because I really don't know what you mean, nor how to do that. But if that's all it takes, I'm all for it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Starcraft Engineer

Certifications
    You're not familiar with virtualization software? You install servers as virtual machines. I used VirtualPC back in the day, but these days I use VirtualBox. Some people prefer VMWare Player or Workstation. They all work well enough.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Starcraft Engineer

Certifications
    There are also Technet virtual labs available for free from Microsoft. Many are highly relevant to the MCSA test materials.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks