+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Network+, Security+
    Thanks guys. I just bought the Server 2012 study guide for exam 70-410. I'm going to try to first get a MCP, since that only requires one exam, then decide if I should take the other two exams for a full MCSA. I also bought study guides for CCNP. The plan is 1. find a entry level job. 2. Study and get a MCP in 6 weeks. 3 Study and take all three CCNP exams within six months. I hope I am not being too amibitious. It took me five months to study and pass my CCENT and CCNA exams starting from zero knowledge. I'm hoping this would make CCNP a bit easier now, but I have heard it's pretty hard. Exam 70-410 is also pretty hard. I know a bunch of guys who didn't pass on their first try, and Microsoft is still offering free retakes until early 2016, I think.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Gaming Tech Expert Dakinggamer87's Avatar

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Storage+, Project+, Linux+, LPIC-1, CLA, MCP, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security, VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM, VCP, VCP-Cloud, CIW, vExpert '16/17, SSBBP
    Quote Originally Posted by ITNewbie2 View Post
    Thanks guys. I just bought the Server 2012 study guide for exam 70-410. I'm going to try to first get a MCP, since that only requires one exam, then decide if I should take the other two exams for a full MCSA. I also bought study guides for CCNP. The plan is 1. find a entry level job. 2. Study and get a MCP in 6 weeks. 3 Study and take all three CCNP exams within six months. I hope I am not being too amibitious. It took me five months to study and pass my CCENT and CCNA exams starting from zero knowledge. I'm hoping this would make CCNP a bit easier now, but I have heard it's pretty hard. Exam 70-410 is also pretty hard. I know a bunch of guys who didn't pass on their first try, and Microsoft is still offering free retakes until early 2016, I think.
    Ambitious but if you have the drive and work hard it's possible!!
    2017/2018 Certification Goals: MCSE (70-410,70-411,70-412,70-413)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2, MCSE Messaging
    Another thing that you could think about...
    With you being new to this, you could also look into the MTA Windows Server which gives you the basic knowledge of Windows Server. Even if you don't want to do the exam, it might be an idea to learn the material so you have the basic knowledge, then look at the material and exam for the 70-410.
    Just an idea
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakinggamer87 View Post
    Ambitious but if you have the drive and work hard it's possible!!
    Thank you for the encouragement. I'll try my best.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by joeswfc View Post
    Another thing that you could think about...
    With you being new to this, you could also look into the MTA Windows Server which gives you the basic knowledge of Windows Server. Even if you don't want to do the exam, it might be an idea to learn the material so you have the basic knowledge, then look at the material and exam for the 70-410.
    Just an idea
    I almost forgot about the MTA option. But since I already bought a book to study for the 410 exam, I will have a look at the book first, then decide whether it's more practical to go with an MTA instead of an MCP. I have to balance the amount of time I have between studying for CCNP and getting a entry level Microsoft Cert.

Would HR people look at someone with a MTA, assuming they want an network engineer with some Windows server knowledge. Which one do you think would be more practical, a MCP, or MTA?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    I almost forgot about the MTA option. But since I already bought a book to study for the 410 exam, I will have a look at the book first, then decide whether it's more practical to go with an MTA instead of an MCP. I have to balance the amount of time I have between studying for CCNP and getting a entry level Microsoft Cert.

Would HR people look at someone with a MTA, assuming they want an network engineer with some Windows server knowledge. Which one do you think would be more practical, a MCP, or MTA?
    Is the MTA the same as an MCP? I always thought an MCP just meant you had passed a Microsoft exam...

I'd say if you feel confident that you've learnt enough for the 410 then go for that because then you are only 2 exams away from MCSA whereas MTA would still leave you 3 exams away. I think MTA could help to have on your cv though if you mention you are in progress with MCSA, I have always put in progress certs on my cv and then updated it to 1 out of 3 and 2 out of 3 as you pass them. I got my current job when I had passed 2 of the exams as they were looking for someone who had MCSA or was working towards it, and a bonus was that they paid for the last exam for me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by joeswfc View Post
    Is the MTA the same as an MCP? I always thought an MCP just meant you had passed a Microsoft exam...

I'd say if you feel confident that you've learnt enough for the 410 then go for that because then you are only 2 exams away from MCSA whereas MTA would still leave you 3 exams away. I think MTA could help to have on your cv though if you mention you are in progress with MCSA, I have always put in progress certs on my cv and then updated it to 1 out of 3 and 2 out of 3 as you pass them. I got my current job when I had passed 2 of the exams as they were looking for someone who had MCSA or was working towards it, and a bonus was that they paid for the last exam for me
    An MTA, according to Microsoft's website, is not the same as an MCP. I think an MCP in comparison to a MTA holds more value. I like the suggestion of putting "work in progress" on the resume to indicate to employers of your next goal. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    An MTA, according to Microsoft's website, is not the same as an MCP. I think an MCP in comparison to a MTA holds more value. I like the suggestion of putting "work in progress" on the resume to indicate to employers of your next goal. Thanks.
    I hope adding this to your CV when you start passing your exams
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks