+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Experience

1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie1277 View Post
    Trust me i know the feeling. My boss handles all the server but I don't get a chance to work on them unless i have to update the security patches on them. that's why i try to build my own server on my laptop but that takes time and learning that I do have but learning slow on your own.
    I know you're not OP, but have you tried asking your boss if there's anything on the server you can help with? The guy above me used to handle all of the user creation and everything (back before I really knew what a server was) but since he was never physically in the office, I saved us both a lot of headaches (everyone asking me when a new user was going to have their information got old, and it saved him having to remote in) when I just offered to take it over and do the user creation.

Since then, I've taken over a lot more on the servers, and even created paperwork and processes to streamline things and make them compliant. Before, we had 100+ users in one big bunch on the server, no organization at all. Old users who hadn't been here for years mixed in with everyone else. One day I just got tired of it, and went through and disabled all of the old users and created an OU for them (Disabled Users) and then a little while ago I started moving through and creating OU's and Groups for every department for the eventual day when I can finally start applying GPO's to users to make my life easier.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
    Quote Originally Posted by actionhank1786 View Post
    I know you're not OP, but have you tried asking your boss if there's anything on the server you can help with? The guy above me used to handle all of the user creation and everything (back before I really knew what a server was) but since he was never physically in the office, I saved us both a lot of headaches (everyone asking me when a new user was going to have their information got old, and it saved him having to remote in) when I just offered to take it over and do the user creation.

Since then, I've taken over a lot more on the servers, and even created paperwork and processes to streamline things and make them compliant. Before, we had 100+ users in one big bunch on the server, no organization at all. Old users who hadn't been here for years mixed in with everyone else. One day I just got tired of it, and went through and disabled all of the old users and created an OU for them (Disabled Users) and then a little while ago I started moving through and creating OU's and Groups for every department for the eventual day when I can finally start applying GPO's to users to make my life easier.

I have in the pass but i think he's coming around. I will be working with other some production server. Now creating the users he did mention that I would start that down the road but we will see. For now I'm going to keep practicing on my laptop .
    2017 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2017 - *MCSA* / 2017 - *Security+*
    2018 - *CEH* / 2018 - * Pen Tester*
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie1277 View Post
    I have in the pass but i think he's coming around. I will be working with other some production server. Now creating the users he did mention that I would start that down the road but we will see. For now I'm going to keep practicing on my laptop .
    I always get anxious doing things at work. Even if it's something I've done a million times, I still usually have that "Oh god, what did I hit?" moment. Mainly when I'm using our 2003 Server and try hitting the windows key and typing what I'm trying to bring up, since that usually starts to open random things.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I was just told that i will start working with servers toward 4th quarter since we have other projects in the works... UGH!!!! Now I got back to square 1 once again on learning by myself on my laptop. I have until Feb for the exam. I guess you could say 2 months should be enough time.

My Goal for the Future
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Mac Integration Basics
    think positive, eat and breath server 2012.. think about it when u go to sleep and when u wake up..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by ed_003 View Post
    think positive, eat and breath server 2012.. think about it when u go to sleep and when u wake up..

Thanks... like right now i'm loading server 2012 on my portable drive. I'm starting all over again on building my lab.

My Goal for the Future
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks