+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by powerfool View Post
    Yeah, the first time I did MCSE (2000), I went through one of the tech schools and the courses were a big waste of time, but included in the fees were my books (Sybex cert series and MOC) plus the exam fees. I spent way too much as we basically just played Unreal Tournament and Duke Nukem all day once we got through the "MCSA" level stuff (I quote that because MCSA was only just started in the middle of our program and wasn't officially part of it). Had I had to come up with my exam fees OOP, I would have probably hesitated and maybe had some "analysis paralysis", because it was early in my career and I didn't have many exams under my belt.

My recommendation for this kind of stuff is to always find the best deal that you can:
    1. Second Shot as a buffer (though I have used this and decided to take my first shot without studying... so not entirely helpful outside of getting familiar with the exam content)
    2. Student Discount... I think it is around $80.

Now, a lot of community college now have the Microsoft IT Academy courses... so if you are apprehensive, you could sign up for those (should be relatively inexpensive... I think a 3 cr hr course at my local CC is less than $300), and then you would certainly qualify for the student discounted price (which also is eligible for Second Shot, when the promo runs). The only issue with the CC route is that the courses are generally a full semester length... so slower pace than some are looking for.
    I wish I'd paid more attention in my Server course. I could have just taken the MCSA already. Online classes left way too much room for getting distracted by the internet when my instructor started to ramble.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    VCAP6-DCV Deploy, VCP6-DCV, MCSA 2012, CCNA R&S, CCNA Sec, Linux+ Storage+ Sec+ Net+ A+ Proj+ ITILF
    I'll go with the common answer of they're too difficult. 70-411 was a heck of a test, I'm shocked I (barely) passed on the first attempt. Luckily there's a few easier ways out of the 70-412.

Meanwhile I'm putting MCSE on hold due to lack of study materials available. I can only imagine how difficult they are going to be.
    2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCP, A+, Net+
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie1277 View Post
    I know what you mean. At work when i do have time i read a couple mins then i have staff bothering me or needing my help. I some times have a couple hours or reading but then get side track with BS stuff. it's hard even after work because I go to the gym then have a 1hr drive home. Come home spend time with the family for at least 1hr or so then everyone is off to bed while i'm reading the night away. by the way time i'm done it's like 11 or 12am. Then bed and wake up at 6 .. not enough hours that some times i forgot what i read the night before.

Guess that might be killing me or learning it the right way. We are all human some people its much easier and other we really have to work twice hard to get it(Like ME)

Sounds like we have the same schedule. I get sick a lot, especially in fall due to an auto immune problem. I had planned to study from Oct 1 through the end of the year and take the test around now, but was only able to get probably 25 hrs done. Good news is I've been in the industry for over 20yrs and am geek enough that really enjoy learning about it and doing it so retaining the information is the easy part for me.
    Hopefully I can get another couple weeks in and get through the 70-410.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    GSEC MCNE CDE CNE CNA NCA CLDA Linux+ A+ N+ P+ ACHD, Security+
    I started, but workload put it on hold.
    now trying to build soft skills like project management.
    Been doing and studying lots on Linux at work, so hard to do all 3 plus the expenses.
    once I get past pm, I'll try to stick more MS in my brain.

right now I do what I needed to get work done, apps and server running.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE
    For the MCSE the 70-413 was extremely tough, the 70-414 was much easier and more of a review of knowing what technologies to use when.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, MCSE x10... and many more
    I would recommend just taking some time and trying to get more perspective. One of the things that I look forward to with the round of certs from MS (as I have about 50 exams under my belt between Microsoft, Cisco, and others) is that recertification will be possible through MS Virtual Academy. So, I am really hoping to get through this round with the hope that I won't be taking any more exams on the topics.

For me, it is hard using study materials that try to encompass all folks... those taking the exams for the first time all the way through those that have done this several times. Reading chapters on DNS... again? Yeah, because I need to pick out the morsels of knowledge I need that are new; and while it doesn't seem exciting, I am actually happy about improvements to DNS and really looking for to Windows Server 2016 DNS.
    70-346 [ ] 70-347 [ ] 70-533 [ ] 70-743 [ ]
    2017 Goals: MCSA Office 365 and MCSE Cloud Platform and MCSA 2016
    2016 Attained: MCSA Windows Server 2012, MCSE Messaging, MCSE Communications, and MCSE Productivity
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, MCSE x10... and many more
    Also, just a note for those that may have the ability to verify as a student...

The price is $83/exam. So, in light of Second Shot ending today, this is a good alternative as two exams would only be $166, not much more than a single pass... and probably better incentive to get it done in one shot while still having a bit of a safety net.
    70-346 [ ] 70-347 [ ] 70-533 [ ] 70-743 [ ]
    2017 Goals: MCSA Office 365 and MCSE Cloud Platform and MCSA 2016
    2016 Attained: MCSA Windows Server 2012, MCSE Messaging, MCSE Communications, and MCSE Productivity
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks