+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. Senior Member powerfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indy Metro Area
    Posts
    1,601

    Certifications
    CISSP, MCSE x10... and many more
    #1

    Default What Is Stopping Folks from Advancing to 70-411, 70-412, etc.

    So, there are certainly a variety of reasons that could be to blame, but I see a lot of folks posting about starting "410"... and then nothing. This section isn't the most popular on the forum, so it could just be that folks are passing and moving on without updating. However, if that isn't the case, what is it? Is there anything that could help? Do you need assistance passing 410? Have you lost motivation to continue after passing it? Just curious. Thanks!
    Last edited by powerfool; 01-05-2016 at 07:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. R's child has far to go thatguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    332

    Certifications
    CCNA:R&S, Linux+/LPIC-1/CLA, MCSA:Server 2012, SCS:DLP 12, Security+, VCP5-DCV
    #2
    It's likely that they gave up.

    I know there is a high percentage of people who start the CCNA but never finish it.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    233

    Certifications
    MCSA: Server 2012/2016, MCSE: CP&I
    #3
    I've kind of wondered the same thing. I see lots of 70-410 posts and then few about the 70-411 and 70-412 (or the other optional exams).

    I just chalked it up to people passing the 410 and realizing that this isn't for them or them giving up after that.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member nascar_paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    268

    Certifications
    A+, N+, MCP, MCSA: Server 2012, MS: Server Virtualization with Windows Server Hyper-V and System Center, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure
    #4
    The 70-411! I've found it MASSIVELY difficult, and I'm no light weight!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member tmurphy3100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    139

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Cloud+, Server+, Security+, MCSA: 2012, CEH, VCP550
    #5
    So far I am struggling with the 410, failed twice. I am not giving up and expect to pass my third time around.
    2017 Goals: CCNA Cyber Ops
    2018 Goals: CCNA, VCP6, CSA+
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member Louie1277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Rabbit Hole
    Posts
    442
    #6
    Well for me I have always posted when i fail ... No matter what I plan on getting MCSA until it kills me. I don't plan on moving into other cert until i finish this one. I put way to much time and money for me to switch.
    2017 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] 410- Passed!!!!!!

    My Goal for the Future
    2017 - *MCSA* / 2017 - *Security+*
    2018 - *CEH* / 2018 - * Pen Tester*
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10
    #7
    I am doing the 70-410 this month. There is a lot of content especially now we are on R2, and it also seems to overlap with 70-411
    I think a lot of people think this is an easy starter exam, but actually, its covers a lot.
    I'm quite confident because I have a good level of hands on experience of old versions of Windows Server, and I am willing to put the study time in. I also have a decent amount of Azure credit to spend on my lab, as well as a good collection of books including the Microsoft lab guides.
    I just think people underestimate this exam, i know many who have started but never finished it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    512

    Certifications
    MCSA Server 2008, VCP 5 DCV, CompTIA A+, Net+, 70-640, 70-642, 70-620, 70-646
    #8
    My guess is they don't pass and give up. MS exams are tough.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member kriscamaro68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,148

    Certifications
    MCSA: 2012R2, MCS: Server Virtualization, MCTS-Win7, Security+, Server+, Net+, A+
    #9
    I passed the 410 and thought it wasn't bad. I then took the 411 twice and failed both. Most of the 411 dealt with technologies I don't use at work and don't really have interest in. I found that the hardest part. All I need to do is pass the 411 and I would have my MCSA but I was able to get in on the Stanley CC VMWare course so the MCSA got put on hold.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Brandon, MB
    Posts
    37

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Server+, Class M Low Voltage Cabling, MCP 70-410
    #10
    For me it's a matter of not having enough hours in the day. Planning a wedding, renovating a house, etc just don't have the time to study currently.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member Louie1277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Rabbit Hole
    Posts
    442
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerBarrett View Post
    For me it's a matter of not having enough hours in the day. Planning a wedding, renovating a house, etc just don't have the time to study currently.

    I know what you mean. At work when i do have time i read a couple mins then i have staff bothering me or needing my help. I some times have a couple hours or reading but then get side track with BS stuff. it's hard even after work because I go to the gym then have a 1hr drive home. Come home spend time with the family for at least 1hr or so then everyone is off to bed while i'm reading the night away. by the way time i'm done it's like 11 or 12am. Then bed and wake up at 6 .. not enough hours that some times i forgot what i read the night before.

    Guess that might be killing me or learning it the right way. We are all human some people its much easier and other we really have to work twice hard to get it(Like ME)
    2017 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] 410- Passed!!!!!!

    My Goal for the Future
    2017 - *MCSA* / 2017 - *Security+*
    2018 - *CEH* / 2018 - * Pen Tester*
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Senior Member knownhero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    434

    Certifications
    MCSE: SharePoint 2013, Productivity
    #12
    I find that I pushed mine back due to the burnt out feeling. I really started to hate server at a point. Add to the fact I only needed it to get to the good stuff (SharePoint) it seemed like it was a waste to me.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013

    Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member NetworkingStudent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,102

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, and Security+. MTA: OS
    #13
    I'm still studying for the 70-410.
    So far I have completed the following items:
    Exam reference book
    MCSA sybex 70-410 book.
    I took the Measureup exam and got 20% right out of 45 questions.

    I watched and most of the plural sight videos for the 70-4010. I labbed along the ay.
    I took the Measureup exam and got 30% right out of 45 questions.

    I feel the more I lab the better I get.
    The reading just isn't enough for me.

    Currently I'm watching the Plural sight videos for the 70-410 and going through their virtual labs.


    --------------------
    I do backup restore tests on servers at work. That's the extent of my server experience at work.
    My biggest issue I don't have an exam date scheduled.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

    --Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member powerfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indy Metro Area
    Posts
    1,601

    Certifications
    CISSP, MCSE x10... and many more
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie1277 View Post
    I know what you mean. At work when i do have time i read a couple mins then i have staff bothering me or needing my help. I some times have a couple hours or reading but then get side track with BS stuff. it's hard even after work because I go to the gym then have a 1hr drive home. Come home spend time with the family for at least 1hr or so then everyone is off to bed while i'm reading the night away. by the way time i'm done it's like 11 or 12am. Then bed and wake up at 6 .. not enough hours that some times i forgot what i read the night before.

    Guess that might be killing me or learning it the right way. We are all human some people its much easier and other we really have to work twice hard to get it(Like ME)
    What are you doing at the gym? If it is something where you are mostly stationary, like a bike or treadmill, you could read while you do that. That has actually been proven to increase retention as your blood flow is better, including blood flow to your brain.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member it2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    117

    Certifications
    VCP5-DCV,MCSA 2012/2003/2000,MCTS:Windows 2008 Active Directory, Configuring, CompTIA A+, Network+
    #15
    I've noticed a lot of people here finish the MCSA but don't continue to on to the MCSE. Very few posts here about 70-413/70-414.

    I've been on the fence for a while about completing it, since there is so much emphasis on System Center and MS Cloud offerings that we don't use in the environment I work in.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Senior Member powerfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indy Metro Area
    Posts
    1,601

    Certifications
    CISSP, MCSE x10... and many more
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by it2b View Post
    I've noticed a lot of people here finish the MCSA but don't continue to on to the MCSE. Very few posts here about 70-413/70-414.

    I've been on the fence for a while about completing it, since there is so much emphasis on System Center and MS Cloud offerings that we don't use in the environment I work in.
    Well, keep in mind that there are many paths to the MCSE. For instance, up until the past couple of days, I hadn't really ever considered the MCSE Server Infrastructure, which is what the exams that you are referring would complete. I am working towards two MCSEs, Messaging (only awaiting the completion of the MCSA) and Communications (MCSA plus 70-337). Those are specific to the work I do. If my experience with the Exchange and Lync exams is similar to the 70-413 and 70-414, then I can see why many don't pursue those... because my experience was not a cakewalk.

    I think with the rigor involved, the Windows Server 2012 R2 MCSA is nearly on par with the MCSE of old. The program has come a long way.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Senior Member knownhero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    434

    Certifications
    MCSE: SharePoint 2013, Productivity
    #17
    Agree with @powerfool.

    I like to come to this thread as I like seeing people passing the exams after all the hard work, its like a motivation boost. I would also post in here but my MCSE is in SharePoint so I will just be making duff posts.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013

    Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, AR
    Posts
    84

    Certifications
    MCSA:Win2012, MCTS, S+, N+, A+
    #18
    SharePoint? Ewww.

    I kid, I kid. My employer does Exchange, Lync, and SharePoint and some other services and I plan on continuing with the Message and Communication MCSEs but going to stay far far away from SharePoint lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    16
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by kriscamaro68 View Post
    I passed the 410 and thought it wasn't bad. I then took the 411 twice and failed both. Most of the 411 dealt with technologies I don't use at work and don't really have interest in. I found that the hardest part. All I need to do is pass the 411 and I would have my MCSA but I was able to get in on the Stanley CC VMWare course so the MCSA got put on hold.
    I had the same experience with 410 and 411, the former was related to what I do at work and I found it a cinch, the 411 barely relates and I have failed twice. I intend to return to it shortly as it's my only remaining exam for the MCSA, but the failures really knocked me back.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    34
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by signumfidei View Post
    I am doing the 70-410 this month. There is a lot of content especially now we are on R2, and it also seems to overlap with 70-411
    I think a lot of people think this is an easy starter exam, but actually, its covers a lot.
    I'm quite confident because I have a good level of hands on experience of old versions of Windows Server, and I am willing to put the study time in. I also have a decent amount of Azure credit to spend on my lab, as well as a good collection of books including the Microsoft lab guides.
    I just think people underestimate this exam, i know many who have started but never finished it.
    I have to admit, I guess in my head I assumed it was going to be easier. I'm still working on the 410, but it is a daunting level of stuff to learn for something that still seems to be considered "Entry Level".

    I remember getting the Sybex book for the 410-412 and just thinking "There's no way that's all fitting in my brain..."
    Last edited by actionhank1786; 01-07-2016 at 01:14 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    334

    Certifications
    MTA:OS, MTA:N, MTA:SA, MTA:S, MCTS:70-640, Solarwinds Cert. Prof. VCA-DCV, VCA-WM - Expired CompTia Net+
    #21
    I Failed the 410 in may and june with a 662, and a 644. It crushed my will to go on as the year prior I failed the 2008 642 with very similar scores before going on to the stanley VMware class.

    I was close, and to have my score go down the 2nd time after studying I felt burnt out. Crazy thing is I really improved my weak areas in my first test, but did much worse in my strong areas. I really didn't have a ton of 2012 experience at the time so decided to put it on hold for a few months which turned into 6.

    So hear I am ready to try again, I'm hoping to test again in march, hopefully the 2nd shot comes back around by then.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Senior Member powerfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indy Metro Area
    Posts
    1,601

    Certifications
    CISSP, MCSE x10... and many more
    #22
    I didn't realize that for the folks doing the three exams for the MCSA Windows Server 2012 that you could substitute 70-346 (Managing Office 365 Identities and Requirements) for 70-412. That is a nice little option to have as you would only need four exams in total to get MCSA W2012R2 and MCSA O365. Just keep that in mind in the event that you intend to pursue that, as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Senior Member powerfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indy Metro Area
    Posts
    1,601

    Certifications
    CISSP, MCSE x10... and many more
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by cruwl View Post
    I Failed the 410 in may and june with a 662, and a 644. It crushed my will to go on as the year prior I failed the 2008 642 with very similar scores before going on to the stanley VMware class.

    I was close, and to have my score go down the 2nd time after studying I felt burnt out. Crazy thing is I really improved my weak areas in my first test, but did much worse in my strong areas. I really didn't have a ton of 2012 experience at the time so decided to put it on hold for a few months which turned into 6.

    So hear I am ready to try again, I'm hoping to test again in march, hopefully the 2nd shot comes back around by then.
    Just remember that if you happen to be a verifiable student (have a .edu email address), you can get your exams for about half price, anyhow. I don't know if you get something like that from Stanley... if not, you may be able to get some other means of verification.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    67

    Certifications
    MCP, Security+
    #24
    I also think people are giving up on it. I see a lot of posts about people failing the 410 3 or 4 times. That can be pretty demoralizing and a nice dent in the wallet.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Senior Member powerfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indy Metro Area
    Posts
    1,601

    Certifications
    CISSP, MCSE x10... and many more
    #25
    Yeah, the first time I did MCSE (2000), I went through one of the tech schools and the courses were a big waste of time, but included in the fees were my books (Sybex cert series and MOC) plus the exam fees. I spent way too much as we basically just played Unreal Tournament and Duke Nukem all day once we got through the "MCSA" level stuff (I quote that because MCSA was only just started in the middle of our program and wasn't officially part of it). Had I had to come up with my exam fees OOP, I would have probably hesitated and maybe had some "analysis paralysis", because it was early in my career and I didn't have many exams under my belt.

    My recommendation for this kind of stuff is to always find the best deal that you can:
    1. Second Shot as a buffer (though I have used this and decided to take my first shot without studying... so not entirely helpful outside of getting familiar with the exam content)
    2. Student Discount... I think it is around $80.

    Now, a lot of community college now have the Microsoft IT Academy courses... so if you are apprehensive, you could sign up for those (should be relatively inexpensive... I think a 3 cr hr course at my local CC is less than $300), and then you would certainly qualify for the student discounted price (which also is eligible for Second Shot, when the promo runs). The only issue with the CC route is that the courses are generally a full semester length... so slower pace than some are looking for.
    Last edited by powerfool; 01-07-2016 at 07:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks