+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41
  1. Member draker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Eugene, Or
    Posts
    45

    Certifications
    70-410, 70-411
    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by AvgITGeek View Post
    My home workstation is Windows 10 professional, i3 processor, 16GB RAM, 1 internal 500 GB SATA HDD and the Hyper-V role installed.

    For the 411, my lab usually consisted at a minimum 2 domain controllers, 3 member servers which I installed DFS-R. One of those I installed FSRM, one I installed NPS and one WDS. Then I had a blank VM to act as a WDS client. One server (not domain joined) I installed RRAS and one Win 7 or Win 8 client. The most I had running at any given time were the 2 DCs and at least 2 or 3 member servers... depending on what I was labbing at the time. The thing I loved about using differencing disks is that I only created 2 base Win 2012R2 VMs, installed updates and then ran sysprep. 1 image for my domain controllers and the other for member servers. Then the differencing disks were created for all of the VMs I used in my lab. If I quickly needed to add a RODC, I created a new differencing disk with the domain controller image as its parent and I was off to the races. It saves a bunch of disk space. The parent images are around 15GB but the differencing disks start out at 4GB each.

    My current 412 lab consists of 18 Servers. Thankfully, maybe only 5 or 6 may need to run at the same time. I haven't started labbing yet, books and PluralSight only.
    Good info on the lab configuration. I will do this when I get to the 411
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member greg9891's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,020

    Certifications
    Network +, MTA: 98-366, 367,MCP, MCTS Win 7, VCP-DCV, MCSA SERVER 2012, MCTS Hyper-V
    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by AvgITGeek View Post
    My home workstation is Windows 10 professional, i3 processor, 16GB RAM, 1 internal 500 GB SATA HDD and the Hyper-V role installed.

    For the 411, my lab usually consisted at a minimum 2 domain controllers, 3 member servers which I installed DFS-R. One of those I installed FSRM, one I installed NPS and one WDS. Then I had a blank VM to act as a WDS client. One server (not domain joined) I installed RRAS and one Win 7 or Win 8 client. The most I had running at any given time were the 2 DCs and at least 2 or 3 member servers... depending on what I was labbing at the time. The thing I loved about using differencing disks is that I only created 2 base Win 2012R2 VMs, installed updates and then ran sysprep. 1 image for my domain controllers and the other for member servers. Then the differencing disks were created for all of the VMs I used in my lab. If I quickly needed to add a RODC, I created a new differencing disk with the domain controller image as its parent and I was off to the races. It saves a bunch of disk space. The parent images are around 15GB but the differencing disks start out at 4GB each.

    My current 412 lab consists of 18 Servers. Thankfully, maybe only 5 or 6 may need to run at the same time. I haven't started labbing yet, books and PluralSight only.
    Wow Thats a great setup. I currently work and live away from home and my current setup is just a win 10 laptop wit 8gb of ram and the hyper v role installed. I currently have 2 server 2012 vms one DC with DNS, DHCP, WDS installed. the other server has the file and storage services, print server, and it also serves as a secondary domain controller. I have a third server that I plan to use to deploy exchange server 2016. I have 2 client machines win 7 and win 10 and one vm for WDS testing.

    I have a dell t3500 home thats very handy. 24gb of ram makes for plenty of fun. Thats what I did most of my 70-410, vmware studies on but this laptop will have to do for now until I find a job close to home again.
    Certs Gained 2017: 70-410, 70-411,74-409, MCSA Server 2012r2
    Upcoming: Security +, ITIL FOUNDATIONS, 70-345 Exchange Server 2016, Ccent

    “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” - 1 Thessalonians 5:11
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member greg9891's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,020

    Certifications
    Network +, MTA: 98-366, 367,MCP, MCTS Win 7, VCP-DCV, MCSA SERVER 2012, MCTS Hyper-V
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinectic View Post
    congrats
    Thanks guys!
    Certs Gained 2017: 70-410, 70-411,74-409, MCSA Server 2012r2
    Upcoming: Security +, ITIL FOUNDATIONS, 70-345 Exchange Server 2016, Ccent

    “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” - 1 Thessalonians 5:11
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    170

    Certifications
    A+, MCP (70-410, 70-411)
    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by greg9891 View Post
    Wow Thats a great setup. I currently work and live away from home and my current setup is just a win 10 laptop wit 8gb of ram and the hyper v role installed. I currently have 2 server 2012 vms one DC with DNS, DHCP, WDS installed. the other server has the file and storage services, print server, and it also serves as a secondary domain controller. I have a third server that I plan to use to deploy exchange server 2016. I have 2 client machines win 7 and win 10 and one vm for WDS testing.

    I have a dell t3500 home thats very handy. 24gb of ram makes for plenty of fun. Thats what I did most of my 70-410, vmware studies on but this laptop will have to do for now until I find a job close to home again.
    The one thing I really want to do is throw an internal SSD into my box and offload all of my VM onto it. I don't have the money for it at the moment. Buy a SSD or pay for an exam... I know what I'm spending my money on.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member greg9891's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,020

    Certifications
    Network +, MTA: 98-366, 367,MCP, MCTS Win 7, VCP-DCV, MCSA SERVER 2012, MCTS Hyper-V
    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by AvgITGeek View Post
    The one thing I really want to do is throw an internal SSD into my box and offload all of my VM onto it. I don't have the money for it at the moment. Buy a SSD or pay for an exam... I know what I'm spending my money on.
    Thats the Truth.....I've had to make that decision from time to time.
    Certs Gained 2017: 70-410, 70-411,74-409, MCSA Server 2012r2
    Upcoming: Security +, ITIL FOUNDATIONS, 70-345 Exchange Server 2016, Ccent

    “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” - 1 Thessalonians 5:11
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    170

    Certifications
    A+, MCP (70-410, 70-411)
    #31
    You need to update your signature block. Move that 410 up to the first line!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member greg9891's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,020

    Certifications
    Network +, MTA: 98-366, 367,MCP, MCTS Win 7, VCP-DCV, MCSA SERVER 2012, MCTS Hyper-V
    #32
    Oh yeah Thanks!
    Certs Gained 2017: 70-410, 70-411,74-409, MCSA Server 2012r2
    Upcoming: Security +, ITIL FOUNDATIONS, 70-345 Exchange Server 2016, Ccent

    “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” - 1 Thessalonians 5:11
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    170

    Certifications
    A+, MCP (70-410, 70-411)
    #33
    Quote Originally Posted by greg9891 View Post
    Oh yeah Thanks!
    Doesn't that look much better?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fleetwood, Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    157

    Certifications
    MSCA Windows 10 ; 70-687 Win8.1 ; 70-680 Win7 ; TCP/IP ; NT4 Server ; NT4 Workstation ; Win95 ; Win3.1 ; ITIL SLM Practitioner ; ITIL v2 & 3
    #34
    Well done Greg.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member greg9891's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,020

    Certifications
    Network +, MTA: 98-366, 367,MCP, MCTS Win 7, VCP-DCV, MCSA SERVER 2012, MCTS Hyper-V
    #35
    Quote Originally Posted by AvgITGeek View Post
    Doesn't that look much better?
    Hope fully that upcomming will get alot shorter.
    Certs Gained 2017: 70-410, 70-411,74-409, MCSA Server 2012r2
    Upcoming: Security +, ITIL FOUNDATIONS, 70-345 Exchange Server 2016, Ccent

    “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” - 1 Thessalonians 5:11
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    170

    Certifications
    A+, MCP (70-410, 70-411)
    #36
    If you have any questions regarding content for 411, post back here. There aren't that many decent books for 411 and 412 out there but many of us may have TechNet articles specifically bookmarked or who have labbed similar situations.

    Don't be afraid to ask for help. I see more questions in the CCNA/CCENT forum than this one and it makes me sad.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Senior Member greg9891's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,020

    Certifications
    Network +, MTA: 98-366, 367,MCP, MCTS Win 7, VCP-DCV, MCSA SERVER 2012, MCTS Hyper-V
    #37
    Hey I do have a question. I created a hyper v generation 2 host because I had issues trying to pxe boot with with generation 1 vm. I used a generation 2 and I was able to boot into Windows Deployment Services and and installed an image with windows 7. however the problem started afterwards where the os install was finished. The vm would boot and just show hyper v settings on the screen and wont actually boot into the hard drive for windows 7.

    .................Any Thoughts or ideas would be appreciated......................
    Certs Gained 2017: 70-410, 70-411,74-409, MCSA Server 2012r2
    Upcoming: Security +, ITIL FOUNDATIONS, 70-345 Exchange Server 2016, Ccent

    “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” - 1 Thessalonians 5:11
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2
    #38
    Planning on taking the A+ and N+ cert exam in a couple of months time. Kindly request for online materials. Thanks in advance
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2
    #39
    Kindly assist with materials for A+ and N+ cert exmam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member AndersonSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    466

    Certifications
    Comptia: A+, Network+, Security+, ACA 10.8, MCP, MCSA: Server 2012, MS: Server Virtualization
    #40
    Quote Originally Posted by TETONI View Post
    Planning on taking the A+ and N+ cert exam in a couple of months time. Kindly request for online materials. Thanks in advance

    You'll have better luck with this question on the CompTIA forum here CompTIA Forums
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    170

    Certifications
    A+, MCP (70-410, 70-411)
    #41
    Quote Originally Posted by greg9891 View Post
    Hey I do have a question. I created a hyper v generation 2 host because I had issues trying to pxe boot with with generation 1 vm. I used a generation 2 and I was able to boot into Windows Deployment Services and and installed an image with windows 7. however the problem started afterwards where the os install was finished. The vm would boot and just show hyper v settings on the screen and wont actually boot into the hard drive for windows 7.

    .................Any Thoughts or ideas would be appreciated......................
    I pulled my hair out for a while with PXE booting Gen1 VMs in Hyper-V. There is an issue with Gen1 and PXE booting with the synthetic adapter. I've always installed a legacy adapter and that seemed to fix things. Also, now that you are onto the 411, stick with Gen2. Any particular reason you were using Gen1? CD\DVD issues? I made ISOs out of all my installation media so I don't miss Gen1 at all.

    I have seen the second issue but I forget what I did to resolve it (if anything other than creating a new VM)
    Last edited by AvgITGeek; 02-27-2017 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Didn't aswer second question.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks